Steam introduces paid for mods

No spam anything else goes!

Moderators: Shadow Reaper, bzb, theblessedsheridan

kojak

Steam introduces paid for mods

Post by kojak » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:32 pm

This is a bad idea and a ME modder on the steam forums says it well. https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/di ... 313709437/

"I am a modder. I helped contribute to Mass Effect mods (MEHEM, CEM, and Harby Module, specifically). Now, I have not contributed to Skyrim mods, but I feel that I have enough experience on modding itself that I can at least have a justified opinion on the subject of Valve charging for mods. Basically, it is a terrible idea.

"Why is that? Don't good modders deserve support?" some may ask. Absolutely. Black Mesa, for instance, is a good example of a mod that might deserve monetary compensation. Counter Strike started as a mod too. As a modder and a human, I like money. But this isn't the way to go about it.

This situation Valve started is terrible, because it has resulted in, or will result in, the following:

First, Valve, you have now made "modder" a dirty word here on the steam forums almost overnight. Thanks a bunch. You have now divided PC consumers and modders, when we used to be a pretty tight bunch.

Second, I now see mods going up that are little tiny swords and whatnot going up for sale. Bundles already that cost more than the game itself. In other words, I am concerned about a complete influx of mods that are completely useless and tiny and unsupported and updated, just because of money-grabbers who want a piece of the pie.

Third, this leads to microtransaction hell. Hell for consumers, and a deluge of stuff to compete against for us modders. This isn't healthy competition. It is gonna be cutthroat. Thanks again for taking the fun out of it.

Fourth, there will be inevitable stealing of other's people's content and then selling it as their own. Some may claim that because they modified another mod's content, they now have created their own mod and are free to sell. I disagree. They are making money at the expense of others.

Fifth, you have a "return policy," if it is even worth of the name, that is full of holes. First, 24hrs isn't much time to test if a mod will glitch out or not. Ever heard of a standard 14 or 30 day return policy? Let's say a consumer buys a mod, then one week later the modder releases an update. This update has a bug, and the game crashes or glitches out. Then let's say, for whatever reason (even a good one. Like real life got in the way) the modder doesn't release an update to fix the bug. Before today, big deal. You could either uninstall the mod or revert to a previous version. Given it was free, most people wouldn't complain too much. But NOW, a consumer will likely be stuck with a useless piece of software they paid good money for. Software that now is worth zilch. They will be, understandably, really upset, with no way to get their money back.

Lastly, you, Valve, are likely hurting good, legal sites like Nexus Mods as some greedy people take their mods, or the "premium versions" off the site in favor of posting to the Steam Workshop. These sites rely on advertising revenue to run, and you will very likely hurt this revenue. Why do that? You used to have a reputiation of siding with the underdog. It is not like you are in competition with people like Nexus. It is not like they are EA, taking a corner of the market. And it isn't even like you really need the money Valve. This just feels to me like a cash cow. A move EA would be proud of, sadly.

As a modder, I disapprove of this move Steam. This may have far reaching consequences, for everyone involved.

As for the rest of you, if you are still reading (thanks by the way) please support the effort against this initiative by Valve. Sign the petition here https://www.change.org/p/valve-remov...steam-workshop

More importantly, speak with your wallets. The best way to change this policy is to not spend One. Single. Cent. on mods. No matter what.

Keep mods free!
Ad Astra per Aspera"

However this goes, up in flames or down in ashes, it will affect how EVERY other game looking towards doing this approaches their deals with Valve. That INCLUDES how Bethesda writes their contract for FO4 and TES6. Valve will DEFINITELY be paying attention to all the social media on this, as well as the success of the mods themselves.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=72850

bzb

Re: Steam introduces paid for mods

Post by bzb » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:59 pm

I think it is a daft idea, getting a sweat shop equivilant in the third world to churn out content for cash is not quite modding as we currently know it but I cant see that it would be anything else.

Dukoth

Post by Dukoth » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:05 pm

it would have been wise to wait for Fall Out 4 to try this, spring it on a fresh unestablished modding community, instead of flipping the table of a community already established on the notion that mods should be free

there would have been less of a backlash, and less of a headache for all involved

kojak

Post by kojak » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Wow, didn't expect this. Steam removes paid mods for Skyrim. Great news. And as for the folk saying it's a PR facade, maybe, maybe not, all you can go on is what you've got in front of you and this to me sounds like an apology. Sincere or not, good on Valve and Bethesda for changing their decision. As for the money thing, the genies out the bottle and there is no going back. When it does arrive I want modders to be rewarded in a better way that won't divide the community. As for Beth and Gabe, if this is anything to go by, they ARE listening to the community and I'm positive about the future for mods and gaming, for a while anyway.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWo ... 5253244218

We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different.

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

bzb

Post by bzb » Sun May 03, 2015 7:46 pm

I think when and where it re-appears it wont be for an existing title which will solve most problems. That said I do think it a risky path to take mods down, it just seems to introduce a very good reason not to share.

Return to “General Discussion”