A little progress, and back on track

Formerly: Game name that I havent decided yet.
non trek themed game in development.

Moderator: Crook

Crook

A little progress, and back on track

Post by Crook » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Well, after a loooooooooong time off from this project I've done a little work on it, and I'm beginning to hack into the next hurdle for it. The stumbling block was a player registration and data control system. Now the server will record player stats and supply them to the user. The Client now displays starsystems WITH users in them (if present). This is the beginnings of allowing the players to move around the universe and see each other move.

The goal is to have the server do as much of the work as possible. The client merely requests information and displays it. With this system there is no possibility of any kind of cheating. The universe is encrypted (so no possibility of hacking into it) and now all stats about players and the like are kept on the server.

Next I have to flesh this system out a little, allowing the player to setup their ships as they want and then go for a roam. The server will have to keep track of player movements and update each client should a new ship enter their system (or move within the system).

The short term goal is to have players able to move around, see other players move around and all use the chat system built into the game.

Mid term goals are:
laying down rules for moving around and allowing attacks on other players.
coding in NPC ships that do the same (when the server isn't busy).
putting starbases in and the like to resupply the universe

Long term goals:
allow universe editing (to name planets)
populate universe with data to explore
design a mission system and XP system

It's not much of a screenshot to look at, but the inclusion of the ship at (1,5) makes all the difference. It can be moved around the place easy enough and it's not so far off to have players navigate around the universe.
Attachments
empire_1.jpg

CurseUppl

Post by CurseUppl » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 pm

Wow keep up the work. It really looks like you've got the hardest part done, the actual implementation of players into the universe.

Now they just need to be able to interact ;)

Return to “Empire”