[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - Omega tech upgrades

Omega tech upgrades

Babylon 5 mod for Homeworld 2
<small>» <a href="http://hw2b5.thegamingunion.co.uk">Website</a></small>

Moderator: Zeelich

Omega tech upgrades

Postby Reverend » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:40 pm

I've just been reading through some of the interviews on B5Scrolls and came across from the guy who designed the Omega.

Basically, those two huge vertical slits on the front of the Omega (right under the docking aperture) were supposed to be mine launchers.

I wonder if it would be an idea to add this capability to the Mod as a tech tree upgrade. Though I realise we've never seen the Omega launch mines before, the same could be said for B5 itself, although in "GROPOS" mine launchers were supposed to be included with the defence grid upgrades. One might also argue that we never saw an Omega where mines were necessary.

It also might be worth mentioning that those emplacements are similar to the mine launchers on the G'Quan, as seen in "The Long Twilight Struggle" and IIRC we also saw Vorchans deploy mines against the Drazi fleet in one of the late season 5 episodes - "All my Dreams Torn Asunder" if memory serves.
Reverend

Postby CnlPepper » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:23 pm

It was one of a number of weapon ideas the B5 crew had that were abandoned. Originally the Omega was a missile ship - the numerous missile tubes on the side of the model being a legacy of this original plan. As the Omega has never been seen firing them (and I don't think they would add much other than making the game not look like the series), I'm not inclined to add them. The Omega is already quite heavily armed as it is.

I do intend to add ships upgrades for all the ships in the game, things like better armour, better engines, improved sensors or jamming. Until we start to balance the ships properly there is no point adding them.
CnlPepper

Postby Reverend » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Yeah, I didn't point out the huge array of silo hatches because as you say, it'd be too much of a departure from the show. The reason I suggested the mine launchers was because it's not quite such a huge departure and if you hold it back as the "final" upgrade, I don't think it should jar too much.

As you say though, it's probably the sort of thing that would probably be better left until the balancing stage, one way or the other.
[email="reverendtrigster@yahoo.com"]reverendtrigster@yahoo.com[/email]
- -
Reverend

Postby maxdamage » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:23 pm

As I mentioned in the dev forum for the mod those are suppose to be this: according to EFNI.org.

:Max:
maxdamage

Postby CnlPepper » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:26 pm

EFNI.org is non-canon and contains a lot of poorly conceptualised ideas. Nothing on that site will get anywhere near this mod.

There is one case where we do see a "plasma mortar" of sorts. Anyone ever noticed the oblong cannon on B5 that fires green pulses. Its much the same shape as the Omega pods, I suppose you could extrapolate that. However, as I've said, as we never see an Omega fire such a weapon during numerous battles, I see no reason to include it.
CnlPepper

Postby maxdamage » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:37 pm

maxdamage

Postby CnlPepper » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:38 pm

CnlPepper

Postby maxdamage » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:52 pm

maxdamage

Postby Dukoth » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:47 am

Dukoth

Postby maxdamage » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:10 am

maxdamage

Next