Major graphics issue (invisible ships, rainbow lights)

Babylon 5 mod for Homeworld 2
<small>» <a href="http://hw2b5.thegamingunion.co.uk">Website</a></small>

Moderator: Zeelich

Azrael

Major graphics issue (invisible ships, rainbow lights)

Post by Azrael » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:00 am

So, this mod looks amazing. I eventually got it downloaded (at one point it'd only download 4 megabytes unless I restarted the client. Ended up having to restart the entire thing) and copied the folders into the data directory. I created a shortcut, put the overrideBigFile command in.

So, I booted it up and got stuck into a skirmish game. At first it'd crash if I moved the camera - removing the shaders folder fixed that. However, there's still a major problem with the mod.

It doesn't crash now, but all the ships are invisible. The stock Hiigaran ships show up when I zoom in close up, but they're missing bits and pieces. They're basically holes in the texture allowing for me to see straight through them. The Cotton Tender is a bunch of straight lines. Aurora Starfuries are the barest outline of a cockpit and four engine lights. Omega Class Destroyers are just the red running lights.

The other glitch is that the backgrounds, dust clouds, etc are basically huge crazy abstract shapes of rainbow colors.

I'm not sure if they are related. Homeworld 2 worked fine until now with no problems.

I don't think it's directly related to the mod, as base HW2 is having the same problems (invisible ships, strange rainbow colors). Any ideas what is causing this?

Graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9600. Processor is 2.8GHZ with 4GB of RAM. Homeworld 2 is patched to 1.1 and there are no other mods or anything installed.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:04 am

There's a bug in the newer Ati drivers causing this. To fix it, either revert to an older driver (around v8.3 should do it) or use the command line switch -noVBO

I've heard reports that this fixes the problem. I have an Nvidia card myself, so I can't test it.

CurseUppl

Post by CurseUppl » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:09 pm

A good rule of thumb is to never buy ATI.

Not helpful, I know, sorry :P

A2597

Post by A2597 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:19 am

CurseUppl wrote:A good rule of thumb is to never buy ATI.

Not helpful, I know, sorry :P
funny, having owned many graphics cards from both companies, overall I'd say I've had more issues with NVidia than ATI, and oddly enough, my issues with NVidia stemmed with an Open GL app.

Overall, I go for the best bang for the buck, beit Nvidia or ATI. And very very rarely hit a showstopper with either card. (One being with NVidia and Blender...)

Return to “Babylon 5: War Without End”