Maps and Backgrounds

Babylon 5 mod for Homeworld 2
<small>» <a href="http://hw2b5.thegamingunion.co.uk">Website</a></small>

Moderator: Zeelich

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:21 pm

I quite like the subdued lighting in this image. We have too many ultra light levels atm. I'm thinking of toning down the jupiter and mars levels a tad to represent the increased distance from the sun.

I suspect adding the lights to the background hod will look too polygonal. You can add special lights in the stars section of the HOD file using custom TGA files. I think this would probably be a better approach.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:35 pm

Actually, quite a few of the original HW2 backgrounds have a star or two added in. The ones already on the background in the parts you can't see on the screenshot are looking fine, but a bit dim at the moment. I just need to beef up the brightness a bit and add a subtle lensflare for some or most of them. Of course, nothing of the level the current ingame lensflares are at. Maybe 1/10th of what they're like. I'll experiment a bit with it to see if it works. If it doesn't, it's 5 minutes of work to produce a version without the stars.

Btw, your star comment reminded me: Regarding CFHodEd, it'd be nice if the preview showed the stars also. As it is now, it solely shows the polygons. A preview of where the stars are would make it easier to line them up with the polygons properly.

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:56 pm

I'd rather not play with cfhoded anymore, its taking up too much of my time just fixing bugs! Adding new features (especially using directx8 with which I've have no experience) is a lot more involved.

The HW2 backdrops were hand-made hence it was easy to ensure the lights look fine. I was just expecting there to be problems when generating the backgrounds from an image. Though if you do get problems you can always export the mesh and edit it in a 3d program that supports vertex colours.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:42 pm

True.

IIRC, Wings does support vertex colors. I haven't figured out how to use it yet though. If I ever learn how to do it, I should be able to drastically optimise the backgrounds. :D

*edit* I just attempted an export. First problem I see is that the mesh is in 32 parts. I don't know how to deal with that, so unless I can find a way to edit it all in one piece, I'll have to give up.

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:23 pm

Isn't there an option to generate an unoptimised mesh (ie one not split into 32 parts), I'm not in windows atm so I can't check.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:28 pm

If there is such an option, I can't find it. And I've looked in every place I could think of.

You do get the option to export all, but this gives you 32 save prompts in a row. One for each mesh.

That seems to be all you're left with: Export all or export selected, which only exports one part of the 32, since you can't select more than one at a time.

*edit* as for it not showing stars in preview, that seems to have been me remembering wrong. It does show the stars in the preview. They're just so small that I never noticed them.

I could use a function that displayed the coordinates and/or id of a star when you hover the mouse over it in the preview though.

But of course, that's only if it happens to be an easy change that you stumble over during bug fixes. I'm grateful for as much time as you've given this already.

Btw, I could give adding the feature a try myself if I had a compiler installed. It's been years since I messed with programming though, and I don't even know what language HodEd is written in, so I'd probably manage to plant a few bugs in the process.

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:07 am

You'll need visual basic 6 to play with the HodEd sources. Its an awful language.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:22 pm

I found out that the map generator generates a single piece wavefront .obj of the background. Sadly, this doesn't retain the color information, so it isn't really useful as a tool for editing the background.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Early test of the stars I added. I still need to tone them down quite a bit, as they're too intrusive as they are now. Ignore the uppermost star in the pic, that's due to washout of 4 smaller stars. Once I'm done they should hopefully stay distinct and look less bright than the other stars in the map.
Attachments
ss00099.jpg

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:55 am

Thats not looking to bad as it is. They would need to be relatively bright to have "create" a lens flare.

Return to “Babylon 5: War Without End”