hyperspace fx

Babylon 5 mod for Homeworld 2
<small>» <a href="http://hw2b5.thegamingunion.co.uk">Website</a></small>

Moderator: Zeelich

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:48 am

Yes the dock animation can be exploited to generate a jump effect, we have discussed this at length in the dev forum. We intend to modify the docking system for the current build capable ships to create a docking point for large ships in space nearby. This can then be used to trigger a hyperspace animation making it look like they have just jumped in.

Reverend

Post by Reverend » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:36 pm

So in theory you can assign a docking function to a jumpgate too. The trick would be to make them launch from a different gate than the one they entered...

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:15 pm

That's not the problem. The problem is that the AI wouldn't know how to use this, and so would give normal players an advantage and ruin the balance.

That's why we're going to restrict Hyperspace as a gameplay mechanic to being a build animation for the bigger ships.

Reverend

Post by Reverend » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:12 am

I agree that in map point to point hyperspacing is a bad idea (and inconsistant with the show anyway) and if the AI can't be taught how to use them then that's that. Mind you I still like the idea of capturing jumegates/shipyards as the only means of calling in some ships. Or perhaps a "renforcements" mechanic like the para-drops in Company of Heroes & C&C. Say every couple minutes while controlling a gate you get a few extra fighter sqadrons or corvettes come through?

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:53 am

Ships spawn points are already in the mod.

Reverend

Post by Reverend » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Yeah, I noticed a few random Shadow & Vorlon fighters appearing out of nowhere. I just think the jumpgates would be a more logical and "in universe" way of generating periodic renforcments. Also from a stratigic standpoint, it would give the teams something else to fight over as a priority. Not sure if the exploding jumpgate idea is workable or not, but it would be a useful way to restrict the overuse of destroyers if attacking near the gate could risk wiping out all the ships nearby.

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:18 pm

It still work in progress. I intend to get the game mechanics working before making it look nice.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:07 pm

On that note, everyone feel free to comment on things you feel don't make sense in terms of gameplay / could be done differently and better.

Keep in mind here that hyperspace is only in the game for testing purposes. Site to site hyperspace will be disabled before the final release, so game balance is done with this in mind.

Reverend

Post by Reverend » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:04 pm

CnlPepper wrote:It still work in progress. I intend to get the game mechanics working before making it look nice.
Well I didn't mean from an aesthetic POV exactly, but a game mechanic perspective. To me it seams logical that jumpgate control points are the best way to receive re-enforcements. As far as getting shadow or vorlon fighters goes, I think they should be specific to certain races as "special" units. The shadows should of course be exclusive to the Centauri, given their history in the series while the Vorlons should probably be just for Minbari and the League/Army of Light/ISA (however you're handling that race decision.) For Earth the "special" units should be the Omega-X and/or the Crusade Shadow-hybrid.
I'm wondering if a technomage ship should come into it somewhere, not as an offensive unit but effectively a cloaked scout with a very wide sensor range. It's only weakness being that it can be detected and attacked by First Ones (including shadows & vorlons) and it's lack of offensive weaponry. I suppose a holo-projection function would be consistant, but I'm not sure if HW2 will support that.

Of course I realise it's all WIP, I just think it's best to giev input before all the decisions are made. ;)
TheOneNamedViper wrote:On that note, everyone feel free to comment on things you feel don't make sense in terms of gameplay / could be done differently and better.

Keep in mind here that hyperspace is only in the game for testing purposes. Site to site hyperspace will be disabled before the final release, so game balance is done with this in mind.
I have noticed a few problems with collisions. Most notably when fighters are attacking a Sharlin, they have a tendency to try and dive under the ship, only to run smack into the lower fins. I imagine it's something in the AI that still thinks the ships are long and flat HW classes, not the big tall minbari ones.

Speaking of collision, is there any way to get a ship to ram another? Seams appropriate given B5's long history of rammings. Perhaps it should an Earthforce only feature that is "unlocked" when a ship's health is in the red and gives a "ramming speed" boost so it can reach a target before it blows up. It should help equalise things, especially in the Earth-Minbari War campaigns. :D

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:16 am

The different races will eventually get race specific awards, usually a ship from their own race or a special "upgraded one" eg an elite fighter squadron. In addition all the races will have an equal chance of getting a firstone ship from time to time. As the firstone ships are so varied in power it wouldn't work to restrict one race of firstones to a particular younger race. It'd screw the balance.

The spawn points will have jumpgates, but as I've already said its a waste of time modelling and messing around getting the animation to work while the main game elements are not finished. Adding the jumpoint isn't going to change how the spawn point works already, only the look.

The special ships for the races have already been decided.

Minbari = Whitestar
EA = Omega-X

only obtained once the player reaches a certain level of research and obtains a research capture point.

The techno mage ship idea is actually rather interesting. It could be a bonus long range scout ship with a strong jamming ability.

We've not sorted out the fighter attack patterns yet, they get too close for their velocity atm.

Ramming is possible, if I get some time in the future I'll add the necessary scripts.

Return to “Babylon 5: War Without End”