hyperspace fx

Babylon 5 mod for Homeworld 2
<small>» <a href="http://hw2b5.thegamingunion.co.uk">Website</a></small>

Moderator: Zeelich

bzb

Post by bzb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:26 am

For Max's pleasure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kqH_xN3uzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XKRKihnxs4

However the effect seems the same for a ship that shouldnt have Quantum abilitys.

I prefer the effects from the series purely because they arent in anyway decent by todays standards.
Cheese is evil.

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:12 am

Sheriden wrote:Me thinks Max hasn't seen the Lost Tales yet... if not, then wasn't paying much attention during that scene:D
Yes you are right as I haven't seen it and I cannot find any of the B5 movies locally.:mad:Will try the youtube link and watch the vid if it isn't too long...

:Max:

Sheriden

Post by Sheriden » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:58 pm

bzb wrote: ...
However the effect seems the same for a ship that shouldnt have Quantum abilitys.

Consider that the freighter, while not likely to have a Quantum Space jump engine, was using a Jump Gate. It is possible that several major jump gates (earth, minbar, b5, etc) have been upgraded with Quantum Space tech. Therefore the freighter could have simply used a jumpgate with the upgrade to get into Quantum Space and used an upgraded b5 jump gate to get out?

If that same freighter was seen opening its own jump point then I would agree 100%. Or it could be simply something they over-looked, and jump gates aren't supposed to have quantum tech.

P.G.C.

Post by P.G.C. » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:02 pm

Up to the Quantum Place (Space) jump up to us, all this is still far, because it will be necessary to make all on is new..

While I can give you this effect, take test ;)
Attachments
data.zip
(27.89 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
hyperspace_gate_FX002.02.jpg

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:07 am

bzb wrote:For Max's pleasure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kqH_xN3uzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XKRKihnxs4

I prefer the effects from the series purely because they arent in anyway decent by todays standards.
Thanks.I just cannot wait to see the movie when it eventually shown on tv....:rolleyes: whenever that is..... :(

:Max:

James

Post by James » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:51 am

I support jump gates. a ship entering hyperspace by itself can't be done as far as i know except the whitestars.

Killer11

Post by Killer11 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:55 am

what about Omega, Nova, Hyperion, Sharlin, Tinashi, Primus, Vorchan and moar? lots and lots of hsips can enter and exit hyperspace on their own.

Reverend

Post by Reverend » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:42 am

As far as the show's concerned at least, most large ships have jump capability, though few as small as the White Star have their own jump drives. However, it might be worth noting that even though most capital ships can generate their own jump points, it still takes up quite allot of power, so they can only manage two or at most three jump points in a 24 hour period. Which is why they still often use jumpgates to save on energy and not leave themselves vulnerable for a few seconds after jumping in. As far as the game is concerned I think it's a good argument to disable jumping within the map.

If the game involves gaining control of jumpgates then jumping from one gate to the other is ok.
Also, to make things interesting; in the show, although you need a certain activation code to activate the jumpgate and get in to hyperspace, there is no restriction on exiting hyperspace through a gate. So say you have control of one gate on the map, and your enemy has the other then although only those controlling the gates can send ships through, there's no way to stop your enemy from exiting your gate.
Also it might make things more tactically challenging to make the gates themselves easily destroyable and appropriately volatile. So when it goes up, it takes a sizeable chunk of the map with it. This would prevent over fortifying of a gate or laying mines and defence satellites around the entrance and force players to keep their production facilities away from the gates.

I don't know if it would make things even more difficult, but would it be possible for each race to have an Explorer-Class (or equivalent) capable of building new gates? It'd have to be done by mining Quantium 40, so there should be just enough Q-40 on a map to build say 1.75 gates? just to keep things competitive. ;)

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:03 am

While jumpgates would be nice, there is no way we can get the AI to use them. Sadly we don't have access to the movement controller of the AI.

Reverend

Post by Reverend » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:21 am

That's a shame.

Still, while I freely admit to knowing exactly bugger all about modding (my last stab at programming being Big Trak) is there a way to get the gate to behave like a ship yard, or mothership? As I recall the building sequence involves moving a capital ship along a path as it undocks, so is there no way to modify that function to suit a new purpose?

Return to “Babylon 5: War Without End”