Question - what are the ships?

Babylon 5 mod for Homeworld 2
<small>» <a href="http://hw2b5.thegamingunion.co.uk">Website</a></small>

Moderator: Zeelich

Zeelich

Post by Zeelich » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:23 am

Hmmm, I never noticed that on SW:W. But then I never played it much. I might check it out. I've always preferred to have complete control of the number and use of all my ships. Maybe that's just me though. :)

You can't call in fighters. They have no jump engines. :p

FendeR

Post by FendeR » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:03 am

But they can go through a jump gate...just a thought :rolleyes:

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:27 pm

I think it'd be a cool idea to have a squad of fighters permanently stationed on board each capable capship. A bit like the drone frigate in Cataclysm. This way we get great looking dogfights without all that pesky micro management.
I've always liked keeping my ship numbers down. Yet another reason I liked the squads in Homeworld 2. Then again, I'd be happy with a simple adjustment to the ai scripts of the fighters, making them automatically dock and repair when they've taken a bit of damage (depending on their stance perhaps).

That's the thing I dislike the most about fighters. It's very hard to single out the squads needing repairs in the midst of combat, so you're forced to either recall your entire force, or lose half their number. :(

I know the PDS mod had this feature at some point, so it's definitely feasible.

vladimir3d

Post by vladimir3d » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:31 pm

i think if we simplify this to a point of making large capships build fighter craft perhaps a limit on production numbers of fighters each capship can produce.

aka - omega can hold and produce up to 24 fighters (some people say that omegas can hold 32)

then you have warlock and so forth.

I would not want to see fighters act like drones from original hw. I'd like to control, micromanage and use fighters separately away from capships as in the show.

we can always cap the production capacities. we can have light capital ships that do not build but can carry 6 starfuries and we can have something like poseidon that actually builds fighters.

best example are HW2 vanilla battlecruisers - they can hold fighters and corvettes in their bays but in very limited numbers and can jump with them without any hyperspace penalties.

and if we will make fighters work like they do in HW2, perhaps a squadron feature would also aleviate micromanagement problems - say 2 starfuries per "unit", a main man and his wing man.

also, the only feature i want to be incorporated from hw1 is fuel. Having to re-fuel strike craft is one of the things that made original game so flexible.

FendeR

Post by FendeR » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:39 pm

Generaly I agree with Vlad that's what I think should be even though IMO fighters should be made in groups of 5 or 7 or something like that

Amm...vanilla battlecruisers? :confused:

vladimir3d

Post by vladimir3d » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:55 pm

*vanilla* - slang word for the very first - original

vanilla BCs - the original BCs in hw2 - hiigaran and vaygr

FendeR

Post by FendeR » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:20 am

We learn new things every day :P Good to know :D

vladimir3d

Post by vladimir3d » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am

is that protoss temple in your pic? from brood war?

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:40 am

Fighters are the back bone of B5 combat. Just about every ship cruiser size or above has em & they are often critical to the survival of cap ships. So we need more then simply places to build them & hold them. First we actually have to make them useful. No point having 20 ships that can hold 20-30 of the buggers if they only give a limited firepower advantage.

They need to be more tactic based then firepower. Anti Sub system ships & "fighter screens" that greatly enhance a capital ships ability to survive incoming fire (interceptors) would be two ways to make sure no one ever sends out a cap ships without a full hanger of the little buggers. It also changes the focus back to small ships.

FendeR

Post by FendeR » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:11 am

Xel'Naga not Protoss :p
and yeah it is :D

Return to “Babylon 5: War Without End”