Homeworld2: Babylon 5 Features, Hopes, Dreams.

Babylon 5 mod for Homeworld 2
<small>» <a href="http://hw2b5.thegamingunion.co.uk">Website</a></small>

Moderator: Zeelich

Zeelich

Homeworld2: Babylon 5 Features, Hopes, Dreams.

Post by Zeelich » Mon May 14, 2007 8:07 am

Now, before I start, keep in mind that this is very much a work in progress list, if you have an idea you'd like to see in HW2B5, post it here. :) I'll update the list as we go. So, lets get started, first, a brief overview of what I'd like to do with HW2B5.

- Man Power and Experience;
- Command/Strategic Points;
- Different game types for each "great war" (Minbari War, Civil War, etc.);
- New weapons effects;
- New UI;
- New gameplay features (Special weapons and "monsters");
- New "B5" maps;

Man Power and Experience:
Recently I've been playing Homeworld2: Complex. What a MOD! They have done some increadible things to HW2, experience and manpower have been implimentd really well. And I'd like to use something similar in HW2B5. Experience to allow you to call in more powerfull ships as the game progresses and manpower to man your ships means we can do away with research. Experience may also be linked to different special weapons on certain ships like the main gun on the Victory. That way, you can't use it straight away.

How a race generates man power will be different depending on weather or not you play as one of the younger races (EA, Narn, Centuari, B5/ISA) or the First Ones (Minbari, Shadows, Vorlons) Now, before you say it, I know that the Minbari aren't actually counted among the First Ones, however, they are a lot more powerful than the other younger races and in order to help make the Minbari War more playable and more cannon the Minbari will use the First Ones resource system. That means that they will generate man power through there "Command Shps" in the case of the Minbari, the Sharlin. That way, unlike the younger races who will use shuttles/transports and Stations to generate man power, the First One will be slower to produce new ships.

Command/Strategic Points:
These will be very similar to Dawn of War, Empire At War and Company of Heroes. Certain ships will be able to capture these points and once captured they will be used to construct stations which wil be used by the younger races to dock shuttle/transports to collect man power in much the same way that asteroids are used to collect resources in stock HW2. Stations will also be able to build certain units aswell. Such as defense platforms or Olympus Corvettes (If playing EA) which don't have hyperspace drives and therefore can't be called in by you commandships.

Gametypes:
The races available to play will depend on what era of the B5 universe you want to play in. (You can only have 5, or was it 6 races, including the 'random' race) For example, the Shadow War gametype will let you play as either B5 (Mix of League, Narn and Minbari), Shadows or Vorlons. The Civil War will be Sheridan (Mix of certain EA ships and the Whitestars) and EA fleets. I'd like to include a 'Skirmish" gametype to, which will include the more popular races all together including non-canon ships for some variety. That would include Centuari, B5, EA, Volons, Shadows. Both Narn and Minbari fleets will be included in B5's arsenal so they don't need seperate fleets.

Weapons Effects:
See "Welcome To HW2B5" Thread. :)

New UI:
I'll get back to you, concepts/ideas welcome.

Gameplay Features:
Monsters in the B5 Universe; you're probably thinking: "What the f*ck is he been drinking!" But when I say "monsters" I mean monsters like in Warcraft3 where there were enemy units scattered throughout the map which you can kill to gain experience for your hereos. For example, there may be Drahk hidden in a gas cloud, or Raiders in an asteroid belt. This will let us have more than just the 'playable' races in the mod, and make skirmish that little bit more interesting. Scouting will be made very important to since a lot of the time, these 'monsters' will be near command/strategic points. They will also be worth hunting down for the potential experience points, kling a 'monster' will probabky offer at least twice as many points as regular ships.

As for weapons, that's pretty easy. Things like mines, extra powerfull weapons (Victory's main gun), missiles, etc.

B5 Maps:
nothing too special here; just maps to replay certain historical scenes from the movies. Great Wars did it for HW and it was a lot of fun. Midnight on the Firing Line was always my favourite. :)

Phew! So, there you have it. I expect this list to change a bit as the mod progresses and I learn more about what HW2 can do, but this is a general sota idea of what I have in mind. I want this mod to be more than just B5 ships in HW2.

Well? Have at it! You have any thoughts about something here? Say so. :) Have something you'd like to see in the mod? Say so! No promises, but if it doesn't make ballance impossible, and adds to the feel/gameplay of the mod, it may very well become a part of it.

What a post, ben a while since I made a post like this. I need a break. :p
"You WILL respect my authority!" - Eric Cartman

FendeR

Post by FendeR » Fri May 18, 2007 10:41 am

Sounds awsome:Party:

FendeR

Post by FendeR » Mon May 21, 2007 6:39 pm

btw!
about the hyperspace gates. there will be a diffrent effects for the entering and exiting and if there will be able to gate in mulitiple objects through one gate?

Garm

Post by Garm » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:48 am

now, where's my copy of hw2? ;)

Zeelich

Post by Zeelich » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:18 am

Don't know about the Hyperspace effect. I havn't even glanced in that direction yet. :) I'll be happy if I can just get a different tex for incoming and outgoing.

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:18 pm

Zeelich wrote:Don't know about the Hyperspace effect. I havn't even glanced in that direction yet. :) I'll be happy if I can just get a different tex for incoming and outgoing.
You can't have 2 diffrent texs for the hyperspace.I tried to replicate Crooks animated hyperspace effect but with just the main tex loading and not the whole sequence.Yes you can have multiple ships going through the gate at once.

:Max:

Camelot One

Its Alive!

Post by Camelot One » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:52 am

Wow.....I really thought everyone had given up on both HW2 and B5! So nice to see the same faces again(names anyway), now I'm going to have to dust off the game and check out some of this new work.

vladimir3d

Post by vladimir3d » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:56 pm

question about physics - starfury and thunderbolt as seen in the show have very different flight characteristics than any other fighter seen in the show or HW 2

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:02 pm

When HW2 first came out I had a very long look at the hyperspace effects etc. Put simply Relic dumbed down the effects system since HW1, its a lot less flexable. Unless we can find a fudge it is not going to happen. At best you can do a simply mesh and texture animation but not ship jumping out effect.

Interceptors on the other hand are possible... just make a dumb, non seeking misile without a mesh. You then replace the engine flare with a pulse cannon effect. When you add the the mine laying ability to ships they aquire the ability to shoot at munitions, though only it seems via an automatic system ie you can't target the munitions directly.

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:40 pm

Yaie B5 with interceptors !!!

So did any one ever find out if custom map backgrounds are possible in HW2 ?

Return to “Babylon 5: War Without End”