Has anyone else tried doing halo drops?

TGU BF2 players place
bzb

Has anyone else tried doing halo drops?

Post by bzb » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:27 am

Whilst i confess its a waste of a chopper, later in the games they tend to be going spare so i thought i would experiment. I already know you can pull the chute at the last minute and live, to a certain point, but i hadnt experimented with flying high and jumping out, a halo drop from ofp (high altitude low open). Anything above 200 ft and no one seems to care and its easy to reach that height over safe ground, higher the better but its easy to loose perspective if you go to high.
The key advantage is that no one pays attention to the high flying chopper and it doesnt give away where your going to land. To the obvious suprise of a few peple simply not expecting you to have dropped in knife in hand, great fun with snipers on Gulf of Oman and the easiest way to capture flags behind the enemy line, opening the shoot earlier makes you a fairly stable gun platform and i did get three kills from altitude- sadly you have a welcoming committee when you land so its not really worth it if a flags at stake.

I cant see it as a practicle advantage but it did make me wonder why every flys off at low altitude trying to cap flags as the copter attracts attention and is as good as dead when hovering- not that i aint done it. No one touches you at height, obvious advantage for a squad leader pilot being able to deply his troops unseen and un expected on any flag.

Doubt im the first to do the halo but it is a good tactic thats very under used as you can drop within any flag defence relativly un-noticed, well worth a try.

I also discovered that you can do aerobatics in transport copters, such as barrel rolls and loops the loops, but i recomend extreme altitude before attempting it as they drop like stones.
Cheese is evil.

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:55 pm

Low = Fast. You can do 240-260 low while you can go as slow as 150-50 high up. It makes a hell of a deffrence if your trying to avoid missiles from fighters & attack choppers as it moves much faster & reacts far better if your lower. If you're high up & a jet gets a lock on you should bail because by the time you start to turn just about every missile will hit your sweet ass.

Flying low means that 50 cals and saws are a real threat but if you are moving fast then they need to be bloody close to get in good hits. It's when you hover that you can get into serious trouble but if you have repair guys in board and a medic you can waste em, fly away for reapirs & come back.

bzb

Post by bzb » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:24 pm

Copters only suck when climbing, not at level flight at any height. Generally planes and attack copters are below you, deffinately if your at 300ft, it is risk free so long as you can break the 200-250ft barrier where they will shoot you.
Speed is the same at any height assuming level flight, potentially faster if dropping from 300ft to a flag, height doesnt effect speed, its governed by the angle of attack.

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:05 am

your climbing just about all the time to reach that lvl & once there can hardly see jack. No point & no if your climbing & are doing 150-100 & a jet gets on your ass before you get high you're dead & your also the best target for a laser guided bombs from a gunship. If your climbing & try to dive the missile will hit you before you get anywher because your slow & can't duck behind cover. Been there done that lol

High air raping is an option but a jet can still easily get to your height & kill you. Done it my self.

RLK86

Post by RLK86 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:22 pm

I think what bzb is suggesting is that once you hit a certain height then fighters won't even notice you, they rarely go above a certain height unless doing fancy maneuvers, at which point they're going to care more about the missiles on their back than your helicopter. The trick is just getting high enough before someone in a jet sees you or pays you too much attention. Once there, no one else is likely to come up to check if someone's hovering around.

The tactic itself sounds really cool. I wouldn't mind giving it a go if we can get a squad onto a server sometime.

Oh, and btw, does this forum mean the TGU is going to start a BF2 clan? Not sure if i'd be fully committed to one, but the chance to squad up with anyone who can show some actual squad cohesion and bring doom and destruction to the public ranked servers would be welcome. :D

bzb

Post by bzb » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:24 pm

Yes, on both counts.

Clan wise im not thinking anything formal, just being able to meet up with peeps you know on a server for some laughs.

DarkestVorlon

Post by DarkestVorlon » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:15 am

Just remember, any BF1942/BF:V/BF2 pilot worth half his left arse cheek will be checking high alt for Halo drops. Especialy since the 21CW tournement is BF2 now. When Im flying a Fighter in '42 or now BF2 (demo :( ) I go High, usualy as close to the cieling as I can. Too many times has a single Apache climbed up to the cieling and hid in a corner, keeping the bleed so slow its intolerable. And BZB, Try loading a Hind with a 8 guys, getting in the middle of the map, then HALO'ing to every flag on the map simultaneously. Thats a rush in '42 with the DC mod, wonder how well it will translate to BF2 :ninja: :eviltail:

Return to “BF2 & Spec ops”