[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - Digital distributors refuse to stock PC Modern Warfare 2

Digital distributors refuse to stock PC Modern Warfare 2

Discuss the latest news to appear on the website.

Digital distributors refuse to stock PC Modern Warfare 2

Postby maxdamage » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 am

Direct2Drive, Impulse, Gamersgate shun mandatory Steam installation

The mandatory installation of Steam for Modern Warfare 2 PC has been deemed a "Trojan horse" by digital distributor Direct2Drive, who's refused to stock the game along with Impulse and Gamersgate.

, "We don't believe games should force the user to install a Trojan Horse." The PC version of Modern Warfare 2 will use Valve's Steamworks to manage such processes as installation, DRM, patching and save games, but this also means that Steam itself needs to be on players' systems.

The online retailers feel that selling a game that carries a storefront for a competitor is against their interests.

, "We share some of the same concerns as Direct2Drive over the bundling of the Steam client with the game. The most obvious issue is the forced inclusion of a competitor's store that blocks us from carrying the game."

But the retailers emphasise that their issue is not with Modern Warfare 2 or Activision. "Our issues with the game are solely with the Steamworks bundling. We enjoy a great relationship with Activision and would love to sell the title, but not with Steam," said Impluse, while Direct2Drive will be offering US$5 off coupons to some Activision titles as recompense to customers.

The news follows Gearbox's Randy Pitchford's claim that as a developer Valve has a conflict of interest regarding Steam, and called for Steam's move to being an independent business.

maxdamage

Postby bzb » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:44 pm

I like Steam, I havent lost a single key code for any of the games I have on it. Direct2Drive is an okay system in fairness it is just more annoying to use.

But I wouldnt buy Modern Warfare 2 anyway, it is rediculously over priced- especially if the multiplayer side of things is dependant on p2p hosting which makes you a part of the games infrastructure. You should be charging them for your services.
bzb

Postby TheOneNamedViper » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:40 am

I prefer Steam too. It's not perfect, but it is the best system of the digital distribution systems out there that I have found so far.

There has only been one Steam based game so far that I haven't been able to run on my system without any problems. That's the Psychonauts demo. It simply wouldn't run. I don't know if the same thing would happen with the full game, but I'm hesitant to try after the demo wouldn't work, since I'd have to pay for it to test it.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TonViper42.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">TonViper42</iframe><iframe src="http://steam.appspot.com/beta/api/iframe?steamID=STEAM_0:0:5677523" width="250" height="60" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
TheOneNamedViper

Postby Dukoth » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:53 am

and they said it was just a black void

if I wasn't born a boy I'd have nothing to play with
Dukoth

Return to Site News Discussion