One, Two, Three, 4! - DOOM 4 Is Official - Official

Discuss the latest news to appear on the website.
maxdamage

One, Two, Three, 4! - DOOM 4 Is Official - Official

Post by maxdamage » Tue May 20, 2008 11:09 pm

By issuing a press release stating its active recruitment for the project, id Software confirmed this very day that DOOM 4 was in production! No further details were released but one can surmise it will use the "id Tech 5" engine and target several platforms.

"DOOM is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth," said id CEO Todd Hollenshead in the press release. "It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."

In all likelihood, we should learn more about this exciting fourth installment in the summer when QuakeCon '08 takes place.
The DOOM franchise is one of the most recognizable and important in gaming history, having been named "one of the ten most influential games of the decade" by PC Gamer and "the #1 game of all time" by GameSpy. DOOM 4 will join the award-winning series which has consistently topped sales charts throughout the world.
Check out their id Careers page for a complete list of available positions.
Resumes can be sent to: [url=mailto:jobs@idsoftware.com]jobs@idsoftware.com[/url]

Damn fine news!! Looking forward to seeing more on this!

[Source]

Kai_Undead_Assassin

Post by Kai_Undead_Assassin » Sun May 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Let us hope that this one doesn't turn into Dark4. Pissed me off so much with the last one that you needed all this hardware power to run the thing at full settings and then you never got to see any of the stuff that was taking all the power because everything was so dark.

Sheriden

Post by Sheriden » Mon May 26, 2008 2:57 am

Honestly I liked Doom 3 and all its darkness. It added a lot of suspence and made you make a decision as to whether you wanted to see or shoot. I hope Doom 4 will be a bit more story heavy, but honestly, the first 2 Doom (well theres more than 2 but w.e.) had very little actual plot that you needed to know. Those games=sheer violence. Granted there was a plot in the Readme etc, but you didn't need to read it to get the game.

I hope the next one has a lot of dark scary spots but also I'd like to see some other things like a level that is a spaceship that is fully explorable, etc. And other level designs that weren't seen in Doom 3.

CurseUppl

Post by CurseUppl » Mon May 26, 2008 8:28 am

IMO, Doom could learn a lot from F.E.A.R. Now that's a game that's freaky!

Doom has the 'in your face' kind of scary, while F.E.A.R. has the more subtle sneaky type of scare. Doom leaves you expecting enemies everywhere, while F.E.A.R. has whole sections where nothing happens, and then BAM, suddenly a staccato of scenes that just turn your face white.

Yes, F.E.A.R. makes you extremely paranoid and twitchy, leaving you constantly ready to press the bullet-time button at the merest sound.

But, I have high hopes for Doom 4.

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Mon May 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Sheriden wrote:Honestly I liked Doom 3 and all its darkness. It added a lot of suspence and made you make a decision as to whether you wanted to see or shoot. I hope Doom 4 will be a bit more story heavy, but honestly, the first 2 Doom (well theres more than 2 but w.e.) had very little actual plot that you needed to know. Those games=sheer violence. Granted there was a plot in the Readme etc, but you didn't need to read it to get the game.

I hope the next one has a lot of dark scary spots but also I'd like to see some other things like a level that is a spaceship that is fully explorable, etc. And other level designs that weren't seen in Doom 3.
Well I hope to be able to find the Doom 3 expansion and finish it before Doom 4 gets released.... :(

:Max:

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Mon May 26, 2008 10:04 pm

I never did pull myself together to finish Doom 3. I think I left off right after defeating that first spider lady, whatever they're called. Firstly because I never was a big fan of horror stories, and secondly because I have so many other games demanding my attention. (And my computer crashes constantly at the moment.)

Heck, I haven't even played past mission 5 in Kane's Wrath, and I have Coh:Opposing Fronts lined up alongside GTA4 begging for attention. It'll probably be GTA I finish first though.

Anyway, if Doom 4 goes more along the route of "kill big monsters with bigger guns" instead of "It's dark and creepy, something deadly is probably gonna jump out in front of me in a few seconds", I'll definitely get it.

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Mon May 26, 2008 11:36 pm

TheOneNamedViper wrote:I never did pull myself together to finish Doom 3. I think I left off right after defeating that first spider lady, whatever they're called. Firstly because I never was a big fan of horror stories, and secondly because I have so many other games demanding my attention. (And my computer crashes constantly at the moment.)

Heck, I haven't even played past mission 5 in Kane's Wrath, and I have Coh:Opposing Fronts lined up alongside GTA4 begging for attention. It'll probably be GTA I finish first though.

Anyway, if Doom 4 goes more along the route of "kill big monsters with bigger guns" instead of "It's dark and creepy, something deadly is probably gonna jump out in front of me in a few seconds", I'll definitely get it.
Busy replaying it for the 3rd time atm.This time I decided to play it on the vetran difficulty setting which explains why it is taking waay longer to complete....It looks like it uses parallax textures like UT3 and HW2...

:Max:

Return to “Site News Discussion”