Microsoft warns businesses of impending autoupdate to IE7

Discuss the latest news to appear on the website.
maxdamage

Microsoft warns businesses of impending autoupdate to IE7

Post by maxdamage » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:32 pm

Microsoft posts guidelines on how to ward off the automatic update if admins want to keep the IE6 browser on their companies' machines

Microsoft has warned corporate administrators that it will push a new version of Internet Explorer 7 their way next month, and it has posted guidelines on how to ward off the automatic update if admins want to keep the older IE6 browser on their companies' machines.

The IE7 upgrade scheduled to roll out via WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) on Feb. 12 was announced last October, when Microsoft said it would no longer require users to prove they owned a legitimate copy of Windows XP before they were allowed to download the newer browser. Microsoft explained that the move was prompted by security concerns.

"Because Microsoft takes its commitment to help protect the entire Windows ecosystem seriously, we're updating the IE7 installation experience to make it available as broadly as possible to all Windows users," said Steve Reynolds, an IE program manager, on a Microsoft company blog in early October. "Internet Explorer 7 installation will no longer require Windows Genuine Advantage validation and will be available to all Windows XP users."

The IE7 Installation and Availability Update was immediately made available for manual downloading and was offered to consumers and small-business users via the Windows Update service in the weeks that followed. Beginning Feb. 12, the new IE7 package will be put into the WSUS pipeline as an Update Rollup package.

"If you have configured WSUS to 'auto-approve' Update Rollup packages, Windows Internet Explorer 7 will be automatically approved for installation after February 12, 2008, and consequently, you may want to take the actions below to manage how and when this update is installed," Microsoft warned in a support document posted to its site. WSUS's default setting for Update Rollups is to not autoapprove them.

Companies that stuck with IE6 must take action, Microsoft said, or IE7 may be automatically downloaded and installed to their workers' PCs. Specifically, administrators who have set WSUS to automatically approve Update Rollups will need to disable the auto-approval rule before Feb. 12 to prevent IE7 from infiltrating their infrastructure. After that date, they must synchronize the update package with their WSUS server and then switch the autoapproval rule back on.

More than one in every three people still relies on IE6, according to data gathered by Web metrics vendor Net Applications. During December 2007, IE6 accounted for 35 percent of the browsers that visited the 40,000-some sites monitored by the company.

Microsoft recognized that it needed to protect IE6 from replacement even before it released IE7 in the fall of 2006; prior to the browser's launch, the company posted a free set of tools administrators could use to block the automatic downloading and installation of the new browser.

But it's unclear what impact, if any, the IE7 rollout via WSUS will have on users who have applied the Blocker Toolkit to keep that browser off their systems. Although asked to expand on the support document -- which didn't mention the tools -- Microsoft was not able to provide any additional information Tuesday.

[Source]

CurseUppl

Post by CurseUppl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04 am

Okay what?

Microsoft released a IE7 yet they don't want anyone to download it. So why release it?

Am I missing something here?

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 am

It's not that they don't want you to download it, it's going to auto-download unless it's blocked ;) (For WSUS users, that is.) The thing is, there are still some things out there that don't quite work right in IE7, and MS knows it, and they also know that there are a lot of IT guys out there who will be pissed if their employees' computers auto-download it and it screws something up...

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:55 am

CurseUppl wrote:Okay what?

Microsoft released a IE7 yet they don't want anyone to download it. So why release it?

Am I missing something here?
Maybe but I think Microsoft is missing something.

:Max:

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Pierce 2: The Sequel wrote:It's not that they don't want you to download it, it's going to auto-download unless it's blocked ;) (For WSUS users, that is.) The thing is, there are still some things out there that don't quite work right in IE7, and MS knows it, and they also know that there are a lot of IT guys out there who will be pissed if their employees' computers auto-download it and it screws something up...

Everytime I log-in to facebook lately I get the message that facebook will display better if I use Ie7 or another webbrowser as IE6 is old or something????? WTF? NO way am I going to install IE7!

CurseUppl

Post by CurseUppl » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:07 am

Max, use Firefox :D

I only ever use IE when I need to update stuff or access some content on microsoft.com. Otherwise, Firefox all the way, baby.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:13 am

I use Firefox exclusively. I have a plugin for it so that I can use the IE engine within a firefox window if I have to. All I have to do is click an icon to change mode.

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:19 pm

TheOneNamedViper wrote:I use Firefox exclusively. I have a plugin for it so that I can use the IE engine within a firefox window if I have to. All I have to do is click an icon to change mode.
I have that plug-in with my version of Firefox but I have problems accessing websites in both webbrowsers(I also use Crazybrowser as well) so I'm :mad: :(

Return to “Site News Discussion”