Stargate SG1 Season 10 DVD boxset

Discuss the latest news to appear on the website.
bzb

Stargate SG1 Season 10 DVD boxset

Post by bzb » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:53 pm

This was released on 3rd December but i only just got it so i only just wrote about it.

The final SG1 series but apparently two movies to come, ‘The Ark Of Truth’ which will conclude the Ori storyline and ‘Stargate:Continuum’ which will focus on Ba’al and feature that ever popular sci-fi medium of time travel.

There are going to be some spoilers by the way.

Season 10 is somewhat of a disappointment. The episodes don’t gel together that well as there are simply too many independent story arcs fighting for screen time.

The demise of the Asgard, for example, is handled in about fifteen minutes of screen time in which they randomly give all there knowledge to Earth and then blow themselves up. Given the Asgard have previously been a key to some of the best SG1 episodes it is very odd that they are written out of the universe with so little fanfare and so little screen time. Especially since we have barely seen them at all for so long.

Another storyline struggling to be understood is that of the Lucian Alliance. Considering SG1 are fighting a god incarnate (Adria) and a key ally is dyeing out (the Asgard) it does seem strange that the most pathetic of enemies are given such a lot of screen time in this series. I can understand that an eleventh series was on the cards at one point and in that case I could understand the point of these episodes to break up the Ori story but without that eleventh series these episodes are totally out of place.

The Ori do get the screen time they deserve and are the main stay of this season. Unfortunately the focus largely revolves around SG1 suddenly discovering that Adria has god like powers over and over again which does start to get a little tedious. There are some good Ori orientated episodes although sadly no repeat of the epic space battle seen at the end of season nine, although hopefully something like that may make it in The Ark of Truth.

Strangely a couple of standalone episodes are included which force you to fight the urge to skip to the next episode, after a decade it’s a little late to have such character building episodes.

The best and maybe only true SG1 episode in the box is called ‘The Shroud’ which guest stars Richard Dean Anderson and captures that chemistry between the original cast that made SG1 so long lasting. It is wonderful to have this episode as several times you are gripped by the drama of the story whilst being forced to laugh at the classic off topic Stargate banter between Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks.

The DVD extras are nothing that special, they are not bad just nothing special which is a little frustrating as you might have expected more of a farewell.

Overall it is a mixed bag and it is clear that the fate of an eleventh season was undecided when decisions about this season were being made. Much as with the fifth and final season of Babylon 5 the writers of SG1 have done there best to cram a lot into season ten and frankly there wasn’t enough room for it all. With so much going on and skipping between story lines like a broken record it fails to immerse you in the story and isn’t as gripping as you might expect from SG1.

The two SG1 movies are something to look forward too, I found a couple of youtube vids about them..

‘The Ark of Truth’

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pAZanXC73ag&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pAZanXC73ag&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

‘Stargate: Continuum’

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0fpnK9Fgt1U&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0fpnK9Fgt1U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Zeelich

Post by Zeelich » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:04 am

Yea, Season 10 was disappointing. Especially having to Azgaurd go out like that. I love those little guys. :)

Return to “Site News Discussion”