Concordia Class, canon or style?

Wing Commander mod for Nexus

Moderators: Chevieblazer, Sarty

Chevieblazer

Post by Chevieblazer » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:35 pm

actually, i've been wondering...in the movie, the concordia is a supercruiser, the concordia class supercruiser, which is a unique ship.
why shouldn't the "style" concordia be the concordia supercruiser?
i mean, since the claw doesn't look like a hot dog in wc1, there is no real argument why the supercruiser should look like a 20th century battleship put into space, right?

Sarty

Post by Sarty » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:37 pm

Actually that should fit in pretty nice. It resembles the Lexington somewhat, kind of like the design you made. I'm not sure about it being a carrier though. After all, the only fighter bay is in the back in between engines. That doesn't make for a very good carrier. We can figure something out.

Chevieblazer

Post by Chevieblazer » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:22 pm

i'm not sure the supercruiser had that many launch bays, but apart from that, those three holes beneath the command tower are sideward launch bays.

current stats are:
870 meters in length
5 neutron turrets
10 laser turrets
4 mass driver turrets
4 torp launchers
about 40-50 fighters

and if you think that's an overkill, you should see the kilrathi superdreadnaught from my storyline(which is about the size and firepower of the wc3 kilrathi superdreadnaught) :D

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:57 am

WC3 and 4 had disasterously hideous ship designs in general, anything you can do to stay away from them I would encourage. At the same time, why even have another carier? The Bengal class is a perfect design for WC1 uses. And if you're going to call something "Concordia", why not just draw the WC2 Concordia?

Sarty

Post by Sarty » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:00 pm

Because as I posted before, the WC2 Concordia isn't the Concordia class, it is the Confederation class. We want a Concordia class, because the at the time of our mod, the Confederation class hadn't been built yet.

Chevieblazer

Post by Chevieblazer » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:56 pm

@ bearcat:
yes, the bengal is a fine carrier, but there were relatively few of them. actually, at the beginning of our story, the tiger's claw will be the only bengal in existence. hence a second carrier

luckystrucke

Post by luckystrucke » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:36 pm

Sarty wrote:The original Concordia, of the Concordia class, was destroyed at McAuliffe in 2634. That class of carrier is the one Chevieblazer has modeled here. It was based on the smaller, older Ranger class which is the class of ship the Victory falls under. In 2660, a new class of dreadnought was developed, named the Confederation class, the first of the class was the TCS Confederation. One year later, the second ship of the Confederation class was built and named the Concordia, after the ship lost at McAuliffe. This is the ship we see in WC2, a Confederation class.
I say that if you're making a Concordia-class carrier, design it after the original that Sarty mentioned above. One of the biggest things for WC freaks like myself is keeping it as close to canon as possible. It fits with your timeline and doesn't reek of Fleet Tactics . A lot of those guys like LOAF (and myself, to be honest) feel very strongly about keeping it as consistant as possible. Ultimately, it IS your creation and you have the artistic license to do what you want. I appreciate anything WC that someone comes up with. What makes it Wing Commander and not just another space sim is that it is taken from the Wing Commander Universe and that's the appeal with these fan mods. For many, if it isn't canon, and I would say that the movie is NOT since it doesn't really fall too well anywhere within anything WC1 or WC2, it isn't WC. So the question is, what is your objective? If you want to create a new way to experience the WCU and you're looking to impress people in the WC community, I highly recommend sticking to canon. If you want to make a Wing Commander-esque mod then make whatever you want, however you want.

BTW, I'm not complaining about anything you're doing, just putting in my 2 cents. I've been looking at the ships you have designed and they look great! Keep up the good work and keep us updated!

Chevieblazer

Post by Chevieblazer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:31 pm

hey, lucky.
this discussion is pretty much obsolete, since the canon version is already skinned and ingame(see the screenshots)

the problem i had was(actually is) that the general design of ship totally changed every time around. i mean, if you look at the snakeir 1 and snakeir 2, the don't share anything visually. as long as you have all the ships you want in the timeframe you aim for, its not really a problem, but it becomes one when you have to use ships from diffent games. i mean, wc3 ships, for example could be from freelancer or freespace, for all the visual commoness with wc1 ships they have.
if you have a look at rat's nexus mod, he's using ships from all over the place (WC3, wc1 and wc:tv and so on) and he is also using the texture/paint sceme from all those different eras(i tried to give the conny some resemblance by painting it grey-green)
it is somewhat hard to imagine those ships were all built by the same people, if you actually see them next to each other

Return to “WC: Tactics”