I'm embarrassed to be a South African because of ex-president Jacob Zuma!

A forum for serious discussion only - i.e. politics, religion, ethics etc.

Moderators: Shadow Reaper, theblessedsheridan, Casious, Phantom16

maxdamage

I'm embarrassed to be a South African because of ex-president Jacob Zuma!

Post by maxdamage » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:34 pm

I'm embarrassed to think that the ANC youth league vehemently wants this guy to be the next president of SA?

He admits to having unprotected sex with a woman who is HIV+?He then says he took a shower as it will prevent him from getting aids?He is also still married afaik.He once was the head for the Moral Regeneration Movement in South Africa!Maybe he should become the head of the Moral Degeneration Movement!:lol:

maxdamage. :O
ImageNFS:MW NFS:U2 NFS:C Graaaagh! hellkom
"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle-station"- Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars movie Star Wars Episode 6:Return of the Jedi!
"I was elected to lead not read!" by Pres.Schwarzenegger in The Simpsons :The movie!

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:39 am

Um, Max... how can I put this delicately... and not to try and put this on you or anything, but... I think that there are lots better reasons to be ashamed of being South African... all those years of apartheid might be one... ;)

I mean, really... being ashamed of stupid politicians is pretty universal. Pretty much anyone in any country can point to at least one of their elected officials that's a good candidate for pre-emptive sterilization. We in the States are lucky that we have several hundred... :D

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:53 am

[quote="Pierce 2: The Sequel"]Um, Max... how can I put this delicately... and not to try and put this on you or anything, but... I think that there are lots better reasons to be ashamed of being South African... all those years of apartheid might be one... ]

Um, at least during apartheid the street lights were always on during the night!Now they are not, well atleast the ones in the street where I live as in the other street's lights are on and it will be a over a week today since my mother phoned to the municipality about the steet lights being off in the street where I live?

Nothing gets properly maintained with the new government as the money that is suppose to be used to maintain the electrical sub-stations,etc... get wasted elsewhere!

The one real funny thing is on tv quite few years ago there a couple of blacks that said on camera that they prefered living under apartheid as it was a lot safer than it is now.

Unfortunately I don't have statistics about crime in SA as the government doesn't want to have any surveys done as it will look really bad!!!

:Max:

Crook

Post by Crook » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:01 pm

maxdamage wrote:Um, at least during apartheid the street lights were always on during the night!
Easy to achieve when 100% of your government's money is spent on only 10% of your population eh?

And the only crime statistic that I know of the top of my head about SA is that it has the highest instances of rape in the world.

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:41 pm

A married man having unprotected sex.......sounds familiar here in the states ;)

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:42 pm

There are plenty of reasons to be ashamed of being American (Slavery, killing 14% of Vietnam's population, the two A-bombs, and the list goes on) or British (The Indian mutiny of 1857, the 1919 Jallianwalabagh Massacre ,the massacre of the Acadians...).
It's easy to take cheap shots at a country's past.

It seems that the first thing that goes through people's mind when they hear South Africa is apartheid, but why should that take away Max's right to complain about the situation today, he's living there and we are not.

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:27 am

Del wrote:There are plenty of reasons to be ashamed of being American
But people learn. To be ashamed of your country is a pessimistic point of view. I'm a proud American, not because we owned slaves or dropped A-bombs or claim we can kick any country's tail, but because we evolve. We are not the only country to have had these issues. We grew past them. Indeed, we have a ways to go, but how can you expect to better the future if you focus negatively on the past? Examine your mistakes, learn, and grow.

By the way, this applies to any place, not just the US.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:39 am

I know, and when someone complains in America about Bush's behavior, the responses you'll hear from foreigners are not "Oh well, Americans, they had slaves!" Shouldn't be the case for SA either.

The_One

Post by The_One » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:35 am

Phantom16 wrote:We grew past them.
Well, that's a debatable point, if ever I saw one!

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:09 pm

The_One wrote:Well, that's a debatable point, if ever I saw one!
You didn't read on. I said we have a ways to go, as no country is perfect. But you can't just focus on the horrible in your country and say "oh, how terrible this place truly is! I am ashamed..." Psychology tells us that the best way to improve is to learn from mistakes with a positive attitude, not wallow in pity.

Return to “Serious Discussion”