I find this bizzare...

A forum for serious discussion only - i.e. politics, religion, ethics etc.

Moderators: Shadow Reaper, theblessedsheridan, Casious, Phantom16

theblessedsheridan

I find this bizzare...

Post by theblessedsheridan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:16 am

Take a look at this story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4486178.stm

The whole story is a bit bizzare in itself, but this bit grabbed me most:

"There is one man who can stop the execution, a man who Tookie met 30 years ago when they were both bodybuilders and who is now governor of California - Arnold Schwarzenegger."

Almost like something chris morris would come out with. Only 11 days for this man to receive a last minute decision from Arnie, ill be interested in the decision he comes too.
-A good Board Admin knows how to identify bad ideas, bad ideas come from <i><b>Other</i></b> people.
-I keep thinking I see light at the end of the tunnel.... but no its just some barst*d bringing me more work
-.. once you've been inside TGU for a while... your never quite, whole again, but you do what your told! AND SO WILL YOU!

bzb

Post by bzb » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:19 am

A TBS posting here, at that time of the morning? Must be Pimms o'clock

That is a messed up story

The_One

Post by The_One » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:05 pm

Ok, I just got up, so I may be missing something...but...
Lora Owens, the stepmother of Albert, killed in a 7/11 store, has no doubt in her mind: "If I didn't believe that the facts didn't stand I would not be so adamant.

"Every fibre of my being believes that he is guilty and he needs to be punished. He needs to accept the judgement that the courts gave him."

She says she will go to the prison on 13 December and only then will she feel Albert will be able to rest in peace.
How can she go to the prison if she is dead?

RLK86

Post by RLK86 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:06 pm

Someone's juggling their subjects and objects.

Darn overpaid journalists.

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:23 am

Still, if we're to assume his guilt is secure:

"And all from a man on death row found guilty of murdering a 26-year-old shop assistant and three members of a Taiwanese family who owned a motel, all shot at close range and in cold blood back in 1979."

Regardless of the politicking and the legal obfuscation, it still leaves us with at least four corpses and a whole string attached crimes.

Williams says he has fought his demons, reached peace with himself, and holds his passing in no fear.

The anti-death sentence agenda has achieved media prominence this week, with America's 1000th execution, since the death penalty was re-instated in some states; and it's a tempting case, perhaps, for supposedly enlightened society.

But I wouldn't pretend to have ever seen such a form of human living; and it still begs questions of how people, guilty of committing acts far beyond the human norm, should be treated.

Williams has achieved his Nobel nominations from his work in prison, from his writing of books, campaigning against the culture of violence he was once at the forefront of. Maybe he has, after reflection, time for one more chapter?

Justice.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:19 pm

He killed four people, and the fact he got nominated for the nobel prize does not change that. I say kill him.

(I feel bad for writing such a simple post after gusto, but not really.)

Sheriden

Post by Sheriden » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:07 pm

The thing about capital punishment is that is has a somewhat controversal side to begin with, is it justice to kill a man for killing? If so how are we any better than he is by killing him? I believe in capital punishment to some extent, but if you rather think about it, Life in prison without perole would be much worse than simply killing him. If he truely has come to terms with his life and is ready for death, then keeping him in jail for the rest of his days would be far better punishment.

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:36 pm

We could go all Biblical, and starting hailing back to the good old sentiments of eye for an eye... surely, in the eyes of some of our forum members, as good and sure a place to start our quest for justice as any?

Or life in prison, day-after-day of free meals, tv, gym and playing pool - at least if you're a UK prisoner. That's if you even get life - although they seem more stringent in the US, 'life' now seems to have some other arbitrary figure than the date on which you draw your last breath.

I'd like to know, in some detail, what Williams feels his fate should be; what he would do with others of his ilk.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:52 pm

Under normal circumstances I am against capital punishment.
However in this case I don't see why his life should be spared because he knows the governor. Sure, he also did a lot of work to reform, but is there any proof that he would not kill again once out?

The problem in my country (Belgium) is that there is no real "life in prison", you are automatically released after 20-25 years maximum because the prisons are badly overcrowded, so our worst murderers are put back on the streets (and as most of you are Europeans, you've probably heard we have some pretty bad cases); which I believe is much worse for society than allowing the death penalty.

The only real qualm I have with the death penalty in the US is its application, more specifically in the US, where some prisoners on death row have demanded genetic tests which have cleared their innocence, but others see those same tests refused to them without appeal, not to mention that a large percentage of the inmates on death row are black, and while blacks do commit proprotionally more violent crimes than other ethnicities in the US, there's a strong risk some ended there as scapegoats. But this man in question, I don't see why he should be exonerated of a quadruple murder because of he is well known, when other less famous inmates would never have had that opportunity.

bzb

Post by bzb » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:24 pm

I dont think anyone is saying release him, but he is clearly doing something good for the world if hes capable of being nominated for the peace prize, or are we better off without his work?
If his work has saved people what is the harm in letting him continue to do so.

Return to “Serious Discussion”