Supermarkets

A forum for serious discussion only - i.e. politics, religion, ethics etc.

Moderators: Shadow Reaper, theblessedsheridan, Casious, Phantom16

bzb

Supermarkets

Post by bzb » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:47 pm

More specifically Tesco.
Is it just me concerned with the kind of power that single company has?
It is the only supermarket to have been allowed to expand into the corner shop market which can give it a grocery monopoly for people, how did that slip past the watchdog? I thought that was meant to be illegal, at least in terms of fair competition.
Given that supermarkets cost jobs, i dont mean Doris at the village shop, i mean the scale of Tesco for example allows it to be extremly efficient, great for price, crap for jobs (but then since the grocery cost has decreased money in me pocket aint increased... hmm Gorden, why are Tescos allowed..). The only inefficiency in Tescos is its smaller stores, given that Tescos record £2billion profit is less than 10% of there turnover (although you do have to allow for land purchases and construction etc) the smaller stores surely cant be profitable to them in any meaningful way- as in they would make more money on putting the overhead costs in a low interest rate current account for a year rather than opening the shops. Remember most of these stores arent designed to interact well with there distribution network, for the first time recently i have started to see non articulated Tesco lorrys, another specific overhead to the smaller stores.
Essentially the smaller stores dont exist for any other reason than pure market domination, which isnt right. Worst cases are over the top but demonstrate a point, if you wanted to attack the population of the uk you only need contaminate Tecos supply of dairy products for example, no nukes required anymore you could effect a similar amount of people with so much less effort. But more generally Tesco etc can dictate our choice of products and the more they grow the greater that influence becomes over the population, and choice and variety of supply is simple common sense.

I cant be botherd to type anymore, i could go into an epic novel but im sure you get the idea. Americans, put Walmart in place of Tesco.
Cheese is evil.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:57 pm

It's a simple case of survival of the fittest, small grocery stores are too expensive compared to supermarkets. If people thing that the 'small store' feel is worth the extra price they'll survive, if not and (more likely) people prefer shopping in a supermarket, small, non-competitive stores will close down.

bzb

Post by bzb » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:00 am

im not argueing that a supermarket isnt convinient im more complaining about a single chain being allowed to have a virtual monopoly on a town.
Small stores simply reflect the realistic cost of the goods, they are not expensive, especially when you add in the small scale purchases they must make to offer an attractive range- meaning they dont get a good price.
The inevitable outcome is lack of choice, already certain towns in the UK are in a situation that essentially you have to go to Tescos.
Independants should be supported more by local government and national government shouldnt suggest that a new superstore creates any jobs, they simply cant.

RLK86

Post by RLK86 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:05 pm

Pfft, supermarkets. We recently had a safeways built here, and until then all shopping was mainly from local shops unless you visited a roadside supermarket on the outskirts of town on the way home.

Anyway, long story short, it caused most of the independant shops (news agents and the like) in the town centre to go out of business and then failed itself, leaving us with zilch.

That was fun.

Cleron

Post by Cleron » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:33 pm

They are so powerful in Australia that just recently millions of oranges had to be dumped. Yes that's right 100% ripe & good oranges were just dumped on the grass in the millions simply because our farmers can't produce product as cheap as overseas.
Unlike the US we have no off set by the government to help out our farmers. As such our farming industry is pretty much on borrowed time. Id say within the next decade or 2 that if things don't improve we won't have a farming sector. The Government trys to push it as a completive market, but no first world country can compete with 3rd world exports with out becoming a sacrifice & if we lose our farming industry prices will soar to heaven. Once the domestic market is destroyed overseas sellers have no mercy.

Even though people are willing to pay extra for home grown product the Supermarkets will not buy Australian & when they do they dictate price. Yup if you don't sell cheap enough none of them will buy from you. It's extremely sad to see 5th & 6th generation farmers across the board simply telling there kids to stay away from the farming industry. "There is no future"

This was first reported by Land Line quite a few months back & recently picked up again by ACA. Land Line has been showing segments on the serious situation the ozzy farming industry is facing for at least the last year or more.

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:30 am

I hate supermarkes with passion, i think they should all be burnt down, they arnt usually that close to your home (so for us that cant afford to run a car its a nightmare to do shopping). Customers are insaine, i cant believe how crazy people can go over safing like £2 on a few portions of chicken. Strangest thing is trolly rage (wtf). Well if you hadnt guessed i used to work in one, so im a tad bias, the only local shops you get are Co-op (hate them, buts more cos i bank with them), Spar (hmm) and martins (great) and these arnt small companies anyways.

The_One

Post by The_One » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:39 am

Believe me, when you're a student, £2 off chicken is critical to your weekly survival.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:14 am

Agreed, not all of us can afford to spend enormous amounts on food.

bzb

Post by bzb » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:51 am

yes, but thats a fools sum. The lower cost offered by the supermarket simply allows tax to have been increased, or we'd all have an ever increasing amount of money left in our pockets at the end of the week, yet i think we know that isnt the case. The long term effect of buying cheap hasnt actually resulted in anyone saving any money but has increased the tax burden.

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:34 pm

you shouldnt really buy supermarket meats anyways, your better off getthing them from a farm. Much better for you. I wouldnt assume that students are the only ones with money problems, working fulltime still dosnt give me enough money to survive, yeah £2 saving is great, but whats £2 really, a pint?

Return to “Serious Discussion”