Bird Flu in Europe

A forum for serious discussion only - i.e. politics, religion, ethics etc.

Moderators: Shadow Reaper, theblessedsheridan, Casious, Phantom16

Shadow Reaper

Bird Flu in Europe

Post by Shadow Reaper » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:02 pm

I do feel there is a slight sense of irony that Turkey was the first to be hit in Europe.

Anyways, seems bird flu has made it all the way over to our parts. Channel 4 had an interesting graphic this mornin on the news of europe, and a bunch of arrows representing the virus moving across the continent and all landing in Britain. I mean it missed Spain and Italy, and a load of other countries! Is it heading just for us Brits?

Anyway, if you want a little bit of info on it, the BBC have quite a good Q&A article on it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3422839.stm

I'm not trying to scare monger, but its always good to know these things.

SR
"Next time you watch Return of the Jedi, note that all Ackbar wants to do, from the minute the assault on the Death Star begins, is leave."

WeirdX

Post by WeirdX » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:43 pm

They have also discovered evidences of the same virus in romania, wich is truly in the european subcontinent.
Are we facing the next pandemia?
Will it mutates into a virulent human breed?
ARGH questions but no anwers.

bzb

Post by bzb » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:50 pm

Im suprised it hasnt turned up here sooner, we do as a nation import so many things from the far east its almost inevitable.

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:32 am

If it's heading for us, it's heading for Ireland; then the Atlantic will probably stop it, until some humungous arrow drives this ravening plague onwards to Iceland, where, fuck knows, it'll probably settle down.

Compared to this month's VISA statement, this is a trifling concern; however...

... it was always coming, wasn't it?

Texas Ranger

Post by Texas Ranger » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:09 pm

chicken soup

Del

Post by Del » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:36 am

Umm... Britain hit by mad cow for years, and now by Bird flu, might be time to improve hygiene in your agricultural sector. Don't be surprised if other European countries decide to put a halt to British chiken exports, no one wants *that* in their plate.

RLK86

Post by RLK86 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:50 am

inevitable... world... wide... pandemic?

bzb

Post by bzb » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:30 pm

Del wrote:Umm... Britain hit by mad cow for years, and now by Bird flu, might be time to improve hygiene in your agricultural sector. Don't be surprised if other European countries decide to put a halt to British chiken exports, no one wants *that* in their plate.
I diddnt realise we exported Chickens, i thought our only export was 'made in china' lables.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:50 am

Recycled pet food, breasts injected with pig and cattle proteins, banned carcinogenic antibiotics - they've all been found by the authorities recently in chicken destined for processing.
Source

Not that it's related to the flu but urgh... although I'm not surprised I'm sure that pretty much any meat we eat today is like that.

Return to “Serious Discussion”