[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - New Orleans....It's like a movie

New Orleans....It's like a movie

A forum for serious discussion only - i.e. politics, religion, ethics etc.

Moderators: Shadow Reaper, theblessedsheridan, Casious, Phantom16

New Orleans....It's like a movie

Postby Phantom16 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:50 pm

It's almost shear horror. The number of people dead, how many need to be rescued, the violence and anger that has been going on there, the destruction across the city....its like something you would see in an apocalypse movie.
"Assimilate this!"
Phantom16

Postby reapernoire » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:18 pm

It was all terrible and everything like any natural disaster, but it didnt really kinda sink in what had happened until I saw 'experts' on tv talking about having to abandon new orleans all together and not to rebuild.
I know it should be the people and death that should be forefront in peoples minds, but I find that difficult with not knowing anyone there, what is more prominent to me is a city just gone and possibly not coming back
Only in Death Does Duty end
-Gaunts Ghosts-
reapernoire

Postby Meurig » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Terrifying and sad.

That said, you can't build a city below sea level and then act all surprised when it floods.
Meurig

Postby Pierce 2: The Sequel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:39 pm

Anybody remember when disasters like this made people pull together? Hell, it wasn't even that long ago--it happened after 9/11. I don't recall any Wal-Mart sporting goods departments being looted of all their guns and ammunition after that... From the sounds of it, the place is only a couple of steps away from being a damn war zone... the National Guard troops they're sending in might be safer in Iraq! :/
Pierce 2: The Sequel

Postby reapernoire » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:15 am

Only in Death Does Duty end
-Gaunts Ghosts-
reapernoire

Postby The_One » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:27 pm

The_One

Postby DesertFox82 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:47 pm

I know quite a few people from New Orleans, and am getting to know more; there are several hundred people from there staying at the Cajun Dome a few blocks from campus.

The immediate destruction and death are only just the beginning of the effects of this storm. Everyone and everything is touched in some way. Even in so little a way as this: there is a pizza place in the university cafateria that didn't get their shipment of toppings, so there is no pizza on campus for a while. Not much of an inconvience at all I know, probably better for my health in fact (they're making hot ham sandwiches in the pizza ovens for now) but it's just to show how important New Orleans is for this state. It was the distribution hub for local FedEx service, and IIRC a major UPS hub as well, so shipments of all sorts all around the area are delayed if now destroyed. Several major fuel pipelines run either through or near New Orleans, so fuel prices are spiking. Popeye's, a chain of fried chicken joints, may just go out of business because their operation is based out of New Orleans. That would be a real shame, as they have the best cajun battered fries and chicken and biscuts there is.
EDIT: I would like to completely retrack that statement, as I've learned from a Popeye's employee that that is "the most ridiculus shit I've ever heard". Around Lafayette there is a very thriving gossip mill churning out nonsence about carjackings and robbery and rapes being commited by New Orleans refugees. As if it weren't tragic enough that these people are stranded from their homes, but now every crime commited (or not commited at all) is blamed on them.

No one really know's what'll happen. I always wanted to go to the Aquarium of the America's in New Orleans (I love the sea and fish and stuff), but I think I heard it washed away.

If you can, please help in any small way you are able. I think there's a link on Google for that sort of thing.
DesertFox82

Postby Shadow of Light » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:41 pm

now there is a politician i would vote for.

( in case the link does not work you will find the audio here)
The ambition to be a politician should bar that person from ever becoming one
Shadow of Light

Postby Charvell » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:31 pm

I wonder if we'll get any disaster relief or help from any countries or religious organizations from abroad? For that matter, any atheistic or perhaps muslim donations here... Salvation Army, CBN, Southern Baptist orginization are all there. Don't know when Red cross showed up...
Charvell

Postby Pierce 2: The Sequel » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:37 pm

I've heard that other countries have indeed offered aid, but no specifics...
Pierce 2: The Sequel

Next

Return to Serious Discussion