What's happened?

A forum for serious discussion only - i.e. politics, religion, ethics etc.

Moderators: Shadow Reaper, theblessedsheridan, Casious, Phantom16

The_One

What's happened?

Post by The_One » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:19 pm

You may be wondering what has happened to all the posts in this forum.

Well – and this is the honest truth – tragically they were lost in the move. Everything else seemed to come over fine, apart from the posts within this forum. I think it may have had something to do with that BBC thing that we had at the top on UBB. Anyway, if I were to test out my theory it would take hours to re-do the import, and even more time to sort everything else out afterwards. And it still might not have been the reason.

Now, this forum has had its ups and downs (mostly downs), so I think a fresh start is in order – maybe the whole thing was a sign. As you can see, we’ve also re-named the forum to “Serious Discussion” in order to widen the scope of debate. So, let’s try and put all the bullshit of the past from the other forums behind us, and start again on the right foot (or the left, for all you pinko commie bastards out there).

Enjoy.

Phantom16

Gahh!

Post by Phantom16 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:40 am

The new interface! I can't handle it! *cough* *wheez*

But ya, I agree. Lets try to have "serious" conversations now rather than posting little bashing remarks about each other.
"Assimilate this!"

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:02 am

Little bashing remarks? I think you'll find yourself mistaken sir! They were sweeping diatribes, detailing how cuntish certain members may be!

That said, I'm not sure I'll be missing them any time soon; though I feel the notion of 'serious discussion' may be limited by the preconceptions and experiences of the current range of members.

In short, as was at the heart of so problems with the old site, we need new members.

Maybe we could have a serious discussion as to how to find some?
<i>"CORRECTION
In a recent article about Birmingham City footballer Robbie Savage the words "freezing semen directly from the pointed, scaly knob of the Prince of Darkness himself" should have read "digestive biscuit". We apologise for any confusion or embarrassment our error may have caused."</i>

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:45 am

New rules are up, so you guys can have a read at them.

You've got a good idea there Gustoo...
"Next time you watch Return of the Jedi, note that all Ackbar wants to do, from the minute the assault on the Death Star begins, is leave."

The_One

Post by The_One » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:04 pm

I just realised the classic PD topic that is "Priceless" still exists in a more secure forum ;)

Anyway, I think a change is welcome - cheers for sorting the rules out, although you could have summed it all up by putting "Use your fucking common sense!" We do need more members, obviously, but that won't happen over night. Now we have a decent set of forums and a website in progress, attracting members should be easier than it was before. We'll just all have to club together in order to be successful in our attempts :)

DesertFox82

Post by DesertFox82 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:22 pm

Speaking along GustOo's lines, I'd ask what brings people here in the first place.

What brought me here was the mods, SOA at first, and then SWNR. I followed them here, and stayed here for the others I found. Apart from the mods it hosts, how else is TGU attracting members? What would we like to see it do?

WoW guilds seem to be all the rage these days, are there enough Wow players here for one of those? That would boost site traffic. I've enjoyed reading the exploits of the Penny Arcade and PvP guilds on there sites, and I don't even play.

Shadow of Light

hoourah

Post by Shadow of Light » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:42 pm

I think if you want more members, the site really needs to be about gamers rather than games, get stories up about clans and happenings with games like WoW, BF2, Guild Wars, star wars Galaxies... maybe not about the games themselves but rather the communities surrounding them....

I know dead easy to say pretty hard to do on a budget(don’t worry Sam I have not forgot ) nowadays with streaming content & huge file stores it is pretty hard to compete so don’t try to , the problem is finding something that works and gets peoples attention , we may have to get radical.

I don’t mind helping out doing some content, a section on something..But I think we should try to offer something different I might do one on astronomy and surprise you all…we need to be different and fresh…crazy home projects, current affairs articles about life online and computers …

Posting now just as a member, and having been in Sam’s rather large pocket picking seat , he wont do this just with our posts but by our actions ..So after an odd childhood the TGU now has to get a job and pay for its own way.

I think the new look is great now lets fill this teenage delinquents mind with content and it’s pocket with cash to pay for it’s own bus fare ;)
The ambition to be a politician should bar that person from ever becoming one

bzb

Post by bzb » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:58 pm

Dont worry, i know you pensioners need the cash for the heating bills :p
Cheese is evil.

The_One

Post by The_One » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:11 pm

Sam and I just need to start playing Operation Flashpoint again, and we'll have a million amusing stories to write. In fact, I could think of a few right now :p

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:44 pm

The_One wrote:Sam and I just need to start playing Operation Flashpoint again, and we'll have a million amusing stories to write. In fact, I could think of a few right now :p

Sechsy
"Next time you watch Return of the Jedi, note that all Ackbar wants to do, from the minute the assault on the Death Star begins, is leave."

Return to “Serious Discussion”