Triangles vs polygons?

Moderators: Meurig, Spooky, Crook, Thursday

User avatar
maxdamage
Posts: 2542
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Contact:

Post by maxdamage » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:33 am

How many triangles or polygons can a ship have in HW,HW:C and HW2 before the programes crash :confused:

maxdamage.
ImageNFS:MW NFS:U2 NFS:C Graaaagh! hellkom
"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle-station"- Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars movie Star Wars Episode 6:Return of the Jedi!
"I was elected to lead not read!" by Pres.Schwarzenegger in The Simpsons :The movie!

User avatar
TheOneNamedViper
Posts: 6859
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:09 am

Well, to give an example: the Kushan MS in Homeworld is IIRC around 700 polys, while the Hiigaran MS with modules in HW2 is closer to 10k

In Homeworld, I'd suggest you keep capships under a limit of 2000, and smaller ships a bit less than that. In HW2, I'd recommend you go with the same polycounts as the original ships (though I don't know their general polycounts off-hand).

Thursday
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2000 12:00 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Thursday » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:10 pm

From the Relic documentation:

Image

User avatar
maxdamage
Posts: 2542
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Contact:

Post by maxdamage » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:19 pm

Originally posted by TheOneNamedViper:
Well, to give an example: the Kushan MS in Homeworld is IIRC around 700 polys, while the Hiigaran MS with modules in HW2 is closer to 10k

In Homeworld, I'd suggest you keep capships under a limit of 2000, and smaller ships a bit less than that. In HW2, I'd recommend you go with the same polycounts as the original ships (though I don't know their general polycounts off-hand).
Thanks but how much is that in triangle?

maxdamage :confused:

Skeeter
Posts: 2330
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2001 12:00 am
Location: In my room :)
Contact:

Post by Skeeter » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:16 pm

A polygon is a triangle.

3 sided polys are triangles but some programs to make modeling similer have 4 sided polys. But games models are ALWAYS 3 sided (triangle) polygons.

User avatar
maxdamage
Posts: 2542
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Contact:

Post by maxdamage » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:09 am

Originally posted by Skeeter:
A polygon is a triangle.

3 sided polys are triangles but some programs to make modeling similer have 4 sided polys. But games models are ALWAYS 3 sided (triangle) polygons.
Sorry. What I meant was how many triangles can a ship have because my Terran Battlecruiser has just over 3500 triangles and I can use the ship in HW but my Krenim Temporal Weaponship has 9946 triangles and the game crashes when I select it in the builder menu in the game:(

maxdamage

[ 27. November 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: maxdamage ]

Sheriden
Posts: 1826
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by Sheriden » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:54 am

lol 9946 polys is much to much for HW-1, drop half those polys and it will probably go in game with a moderate to small amount of slowdown depending on system specs.

Skeeter
Posts: 2330
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2001 12:00 am
Location: In my room :)
Contact:

Post by Skeeter » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:10 am

HW1 can load models at least 30.000 polys but i guess would slow right down when ur just building ur fleet up, and ai does the same. Because i tryed one of my high poly ships in hw1 and it loaded but i was just testing limits really.

For hw1 ships just download a mod and see what people use i supose.

For hw2 see the chart above.

BlackBird
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The Black Forest, Central Oregon USA
Contact:

Post by BlackBird » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:52 pm

The MS in HW2 spec is just over 6k, that should give U an idea of poly limit on the big ships. :eek:

User avatar
maxdamage
Posts: 2542
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Contact:

Post by maxdamage » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:58 am

Originally posted by Sheriden:
lol 9946 polys is much to much for HW-1, drop half those polys and it will probably go in game with a moderate to small amount of slowdown depending on system specs.
Actually it's 9946 triangles and not polys!I've given up on having my Krenim Temporal weapon ship in HW because if I halfed the number of trianglesthen my ship will no look but I've got 5 ships ready for use in HW.

maxdamage

Locked

Return to “Homeworld 2”