K has to be asked...whos with me wanting a Honorverse mod?

Moderators: Meurig, Spooky, Crook, Thursday

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:42 pm

COUGH

Look at my name... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd be willing to do some modeling and (if I ever get HW2 and/or a video card I can play it on... :mad: ) playtesting.

BTW, Remember that dreadnaughts and SDs are MUCH longer relative to their widths than say Destroyers or the rare frigates.

Man...I was just thinking. A mod of Honorverse with realistic scaling would kick ***!! Imagine focusing in on a LAC flying in formation with it's CLAC or a DN...Talk about minnow and whale... :D

Would LACs have the sensor distortion drone ability (not that I know too too well what that does...). Or maybe a cloak thing. Wouldn't be quite as real to the books maybe, but more in spirit with what Weber intended. Unless of course we have engagements at the real distan

EDIT: shadowhawk, the only images of ships that we have are in the books themselves. When I get back from my next final, I'll see if I can get them off the Honorverse CD.

[ 16. December 2003, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Manticore ]

GTVA_ShadowHawk

Post by GTVA_ShadowHawk » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:56 am

Nice thanx

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:59 pm

If you like approximate real-world physics you might try reading some C.J Cherryh's works in the Merchanter Series.

Excellent stuff [img]smile.gif[/img]

Light Soldier

Post by Light Soldier » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:30 am

Here are a few pics regarding Honorverse ships.
Ship hull size comparison
http://baen.ghostwheel.com/Honorverse/i ... arison.jpg

Superdreadnought hulls
http://baen.ghostwheel.com/Honorverse/i ... D_Hull.jpg

Light Attack Craft
http://baen.ghostwheel.com/Honorverse/i ... ke_LAC.jpg

Manticore:

COUGH look at my Avatar and location :D

And yeah, realistic scaling would be quite cool.

I was thinking that since Ghost Rider electronic-warfare drones jam the living daylights out of enemy sensors and targeting systems, perhaps we could use some sort of variation of the sensor distortion drone to act as the Ghost Rider drones.

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:32 pm

Look at my location too [img]tongue.gif[/img]

If we could simulate the effect of dragon's teeth, that'd so ****ing sweet! Actually I just thought of an idea...have it launch the same looking torpedoes as the LACs, but just do zero damage...

Also, point-defense, at least in the form of lasers, is a must. It's probably easy to code in weapons that shoot only at missiles that breach a certain perimeter. Is it?

Also, can you code in impeller wedges and sidewalls? (I've only touched the full version of HW2, never had a chance to play it :mad: , though I will soon hopefully). Because I think that those are a must for any Honorverse mod, or at least would really add to the feel. Probably not able to get the damaging effects of wedges though.

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:30 pm

Can I ask a quick, cheeky, question... ?

Do the starbases look like pencil cases, as the ships look a tad like different sized pens... ?

Light Soldier

Post by Light Soldier » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:23 am

Gust0o: Nope, only warships are that shaped. And they arent perfectly round to be precise. They have more width than they have height. Shipyards etc. are basically just huge webs of dry-docks, gantries and stuff like that while fortresses are more geometrically shaped.

Manticore:I think the PD weapons can be done. Just have some quick firing beam weapons like the PD weapons we see in some of the bigger warships in HW2, and set them to fire on missiles only and have a certain max-range. The problem i think is that are missiles actually objects that can be targeted and destroyed?

I very much doubt that Impeller's and Sidewalls could be done. Im not familiar with the coding of HW2 but i am quite skeptical regarding the possibilities of this.

[ 05. January 2004, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Light Soldier ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:15 pm

Originally posted by Light Soldier:
I think the PD weapons can be done. Just have some quick firing beam weapons like the PD weapons we see in some of the bigger warships in HW2, and set them to fire on missiles only and have a certain max-range. The problem i think is that are missiles actually objects that can be targeted and destroyed?
PD weapons that shoot missiles already have been done. Take a look at the Point Defense Systems mod over on the Relicnews forum. (which, IMO is the best mod yet, and it's still being improved) ;)

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:12 pm

And they do it automatically?

Can you set ions to do it too? Or how about tiny missiles? That'd be wicked cool to see counter-missiles (given that they were the first line of active defense in the Honorverse).

Light Soldier

Post by Light Soldier » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:08 pm

TONV: Goddamn! I gotta check that out. It also gives a lot more mod possibilities. Im allready imagining a ship shooting down a volley's of a dozen or more missiles with PD lasers. C000l. :D

Manticore: Counter-Missiles would be cool but if the mod would have them, they would need to physically hit the missile they have targeted because in Honorverse CM's work by destroying the missiles they are targeted at with their impeller wedge's.

Return to “Homeworld 2”