[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - K has to be asked...whos with me wanting a Honorverse mod?

K has to be asked...whos with me wanting a Honorverse mod?

Moderators: Meurig, Spooky, Crook, Thursday

Postby Edge_28 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:03 am

I think this will be doable, basic inertia movment and all, once things get a lil more figured out. I already have ships taking forever to accel/deccel and engagements looking a bit more like ships are moving on vectors than on reactionless drives. course what I am doing gets ugly with just the comp Ai to play with.

Anyway, I know that there are Honerverse fans out there just wishing to see the battle of Manticore Vs whoever has the balls to get in thier way. I know I do...... yes the ship designs are simple. I can even model the damned things... That wouldnt be where the fun came in.

Till Putting HODS in game etc etc as if i have any clue whatsoever till the appropriate tool are out this is all pretty much a fantasy i think. But I'm pretty sure that the day isnt far off when adding any ship you can model is possible. For that I would love this mod.

Two walls of battle with consorts on vectors, missles speeds matter mind ya, trying to blow hell out of each other. Jamming drones ... LACS ......SDPS even might be possible... last is a stretch but screw it ... I can Dream cant I?

Before peeps bash this thread just think about it..... if you dont read weber find out if anyone ya know does. It has a good feel for it and I think would lend itself well to a lil 3d combat...... get out of the Sw ST B5 rut

Edge
Edge_28

Postby Edge_28 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:06 am

Wow,

So I forgot to mention that I am intoxicated at this point. Oh well, perhaps anyone who knows what I am talking about might make it clearer if I dont get back before tomorrow....

Yeh, I know an edit was possible but oops I hit quote instead (deleted text for that) weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Edge_28

Postby Pos_21 » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:43 am

you make it sound as if you sometimes post when your not drunk ;)

oh, and i'de like to be the first to say: wtf? ;)
Pos_21

Postby Edge_28 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:59 pm

Yeh, only one relevant word between both those posts.

Intoxicated

The rest was a mish mash of something I have wanted to do since I first stumbled on HW mods and learned what little bit of that I did.

The Honorverse is the "universe" for a series of books by sci-fi author David Weber staring Honor Harrington. I know that there are at least some fans for these books floating around TGU.

[size="1"][ 10. November 2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Edge_28 ][/size]
Edge_28

Postby bones_of_the_many » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:56 pm

honorverse?

someone care to clairify for me?

ship pic, a website....something.....
bones_of_the_many

Postby Edge_28 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:40 am

Obi Kaybe, lol, really do know theres some Weber fans out there somewhere in TGU land jsut apparently not here.

Heres the publisher site.

It has The first two books in the Harrington series offered for free in the 'Free Library'. Just go in there under Authors/David Weber and you will find em. The two titles are "On Basilisk Station" and "Honor of the Queen". Definitely not two of my favorites in the series but its up to it's tenth installment I think and has 'grown' a bit in the telling.

As the bio says, the series is based loosely, and i mean looooosely, on C.S. Forester's "Horatio Hornblower" series of naval history novels.

Anyways, the books involve lots of ships going poof. They have to obey the laws of physics, vectors and all that and the way it is written is such that it is meant to remind a reader of what a battle under sail might be like in space. Broadsides, Crossing the T, movement to engage and disengage by a hairs breadth... etc.

Edge
Edge_28

Postby Light Soldier » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:34 am

ME ME ME ME ME!!! AAARRGGHHH!!!! ME ME ME ME!!

*calms down*

Phew, glad i got the Honor Harrington drive mode to set down again. Hell yes im with anyone wanting a Honorverse mod for HW2. After the first trailer of it i was dreaming of a Honorverse mod for it. HW2 would be a perfect platform. I dont know about the physics model but it might be atleast possible to make a close replica.

Weapons would be far easier to do and im allready imagining Superdreadnaughts first throwing dozens and dozens of missiles at each other and then closing to energy range and opening up with grasers and lasers. The HW2 engine would be quite favorable for HH weapons altough i dont know how laserheads would work. Also, since we have that awesome damage creation model in the HW2 engine (blown holes and stuff like that) imagine how cool we could make an energy weapon exhange to look like. Also im quite sure that missile-pods would be doable.

Another bigger problem would propably lie in the defense and drive systems of Honorverse. You cant really copy the Impeller Wedge physics and sidewall physics to HW2 so you would need to simplify things a bit.

But overall i think that when properly made it would make a kickass mod. You could put in all the significant Star Nations from the Andermani to the Peeps and even perhaps the Graysons and Solarian League. Since there are also no ship slots, it would be possible to put every ship from Honorverse to the mod without any problem.
The mod would also be quick to make i think since the design of practically every big warship from a destroyer to a Superdreadnaught is pretty much the same. Even tough there are some surface structures like gravitic sensor arrays, and on the dorsal and ventral surface of the ships some towers and the like, it would be still much faster than with any other mod.

Im all thumbs and toes up for a Honorverse mod. I love the books and the naval combat in them and i can allready be considered a Weberite or a Honorverse nut.
Light Soldier

Postby Edge_28 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:23 am

See,

Told ya'll there'd be at least ONE other person at TGU who'd know what I was talking about. :D

I agree that the wedges would probably have to be tossed our unless theres a specific way to limit damage from any axis. There may be but I kinda stopped poking around the files back a bit. Figured, sad as it is, that I would let the peeps who know what they are doing do it 'first' and then learn from them how they did it and what they did to it.

I can just see those fleets in my mind. Not the 'prettiest' ships ever conceived of but quite nice in a functional sort of way.

Edge
Edge_28

Postby Light Soldier » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:57 pm

I think the prettiness and awe from different Honorverse ships would come from their size. A Superdreadnaught is around 100 times more massive than a destroyer so the size differences should have to be big. Also, the ships can be made visually impressive if done right. Altough their basic shape is very simple, there is still stuff like those gravitic sensor arrays, missile tubes and energy mounts and the structures on the ventral and dorsal sides. With yet good textures, i think it would be possible to make the ships look good.

Anyways, a Honorverse mod would have a lot of good things in it. Modelling work for it would be quick, much faster than modelling a Star Destroyer or a good looking Omega destroyer. Weapons wouldnt need a whole lot of work. Ofcourse the projectile weapons except missiles would need to be stripped away entirely because Honorverse doesnt use such things. Beam weapons could be done with some texture and size doctoring of the ion beams.
Light Soldier

Postby GTVA_ShadowHawk » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:58 am

Can someone post some pics of the ships so we know what you are talking about. I went to that website but couldn't find much.

-Hawks
GTVA_ShadowHawk

Next

Return to Homeworld 2