[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - planet in HW2

planet in HW2

Moderators: Meurig, Spooky, Crook, Thursday

Postby maxdamage » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:34 pm

maxdamage

Postby CnlPepper » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:41 am

CnlPepper

Postby Skeeter » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:39 am

I wounder if its possible to have a really good planet thats textured well to have targetable cities on it in the form of a subsystem. And that these city subs are prebuilt when level starts and u can target them and destroy them and when u do it leaves a scared texture or somit (scared texture underneath from start the city is created by sub).

Could make for a gametype where u can defend the homeworld or attack some other planet of some other race and that race protects it so a objective could be kill all enemy ships and destroy the bombard the planet from orbit and when last city is destroyed game ove and u win.

Just a idea i just had.

PS: Just woke up so excuse the rush typing lol. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Skeeter

Postby Sheriden » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:16 am

Skeet, that is a very interesting idea... i wonder if it is workable?
Sheriden

Postby maxdamage » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:08 pm

It is possible but without using Maya it is impossible as you need to add joints etc.. to the areas that are going to have cities on the surface of the planet!

maxdamage.
maxdamage

Postby Supernova » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:41 am

I've actually done a lot of work with planets and atmospheres with EvilJedi over at the relic boards. After a few days of stubling around with .lua files and the fx tool I figured out how to make an atmosphere effect and play it at the location of the planet in a level (this needs to be done in the "insertgametype".lua file unfortunately)

However once we were able to get decent atmospheres ingame other problems started to present themselves, and are unfortunately hardware and software limitations, the biggest of which is the horrid clipping on the atmosphere effect. After a few more days of experimenting, EJ and I decided that having planet models inside game space was just not practical, and using them as background objects only seemed the logical choice as you could then use little tricks to kill the clipping.

Oh yeah before I foget, Heres the final form of my earth and atmosphere effects before finaly deciding not to continue (also shows off some nebula, and star distribution scripts I was working on with EJ)

Sorry 56k-er's, this includes me, I'm just too lazy to recompress and upload the shot.
Supernova

Postby Skeeter » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:56 am

Looks good dude. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I was woundering is there any transparency possible on objects/models cos i was thinking u could have a two model planet, one the actual planet and the other mesh the atmosphere that could have a semi transparent texture perhaps or something?

[size="1"][ 25. August 2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Skeeter ][/size]
Skeeter

Postby Cleron » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:11 pm

Thats in hw2 ???
Cleron

Postby Supernova » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:58 pm

Supernova

Postby maxdamage » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:46 am

What about when if you test my planet with atmosphere when going to sensor manager view and then select the planet for a millisecond the planet flashes and then the outer sphere becomes semi-transparent?Look at pic at the post.

maxdamage.

[size="1"][ 26. August 2004, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: maxdamage ][/size]
maxdamage

PreviousNext

Return to Homeworld 2