[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - Come on then; tell me HW2 was a good game!

Come on then; tell me HW2 was a good game!

Moderators: Meurig, Spooky, Crook, Thursday

Postby Durandel » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:25 am

CP:

Pure hope. That's why I said "I bloody hope so". Don't forget that I'm a HW fan too; I don't want to see the universe die, so I have to have hope for the future. Nexus interviews have been upbeat about modding and at the moment I'd like to think they're telling the truth. Since there are no other Spaceship RTS games in development (that I know of) this may be the last chance for HW fans.

Also remember that it's just HW2 I don't like; I think some of the mod work done so far (Requiem Wars, etc) looks fantastic, and I'd love to see them released in a thriving, active community where they'll get the play they deserve.

Tomatowen:

Good for you! Why should you care who I am? You shouldn't and you don't! You're quite right about my attitude; I was out of order. To be honest I was looking for a fight last night. Sorry about that.

As for your points, I am completely familiar with the Relic Forums inc the Tanis Shipyards & sub forums. That's why I mentioned my modding credentials; I've been involved in the modding community for almost two years. I know a lot more about HW2 modding than you do, and it's really not a practical proposition. You'd need to look more closely at the situation in order to understand what I mean - simply telling you the facts will not convince you. I too expect Warlords to be one of the completed mods, along with a couple of others.

However it's all irrelevant now. The truth is that HW2 is a dead game. The community has collapsed. The number of online players is pitiful. The "Homeworld Ladder" stopped being active months ago. The "Homeworld Universe" fan site now calls itself "Relic Universe" and focuses on DoW. The Clan Forums have also abandoned HW2 in favour of DoW. The Relic Forums no longer have a HW design; they're focusing on DoW too. Relic themselves no longer even pretend to support the community (they actually belong to a competitor now) and Sierra has ceased to exist as anything more than a brand name. After six months the HW2 1.1 patch has not even been released to all regions (and may never be). You can even look at this Homeworld 2 forum for an example; this is the first active thread for over a month.

Meurig:

Fair enough mate, you look into it. You're going to be very dissapointed. However, as I've said to CP, I have hopes that Nexus will provide a new lease of life for the HW fanse. Let's face it, most of the people who bought HW games will also buy Nexus.

[size="1"][ 30. June 2004, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Durandel ][/size]
Durandel

Postby Crook » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:29 pm

This forum was never going to be a focus of HW2 modding - that would be relicforums. The game is difficult, sure, but not impossible. It's slowly becoming clear what can be done with the game and how. It's not so tough.

The holy trinity of SF mods have now appeared (SW, ST and B5). All look to be shaping up well. It was a whole year before we saw anything with HW1 - which was 90% fan made tools remember.

I suppose some people want modding to be given away - it would suit most I'd guess. I liked HW1 modding because most said it couldn't be done. HW2 seems to be a true sequal.
Crook

Postby Tomatowen » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:09 pm

Well Durandel, I'm sorry for what I posted earlier, as a good bit of it was out of line. I appologize, and I thank you for not escalating the fight. I was rather upset when I made that last post, but that certainly didnt call for some of the things I said. Anyway, I hope you are willing (as I am) to forgive, forget, and move on.

Admittedly, I have virtually no Homeworld modding experience, so you are correct in saying that my feelings would be different if I tried some HW modding myself. I'm sure I would probably have a different attitude on things.
Maybe there aren't "lots" of people who are very active with HW2, but there are enough who are willing to try things. Personally I think its great that they are, and I'm looking forward to playing mods like Warlords and B5:GW and whatever else may be created.

But you are, without question, more experienced and more knowledgeable in this field than I am, and you are 100% entitled to your own opinion. And I respect it.

Sincerely,
Tomatowen [img]smile.gif[/img]
Tomatowen

Postby Durandel » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:10 pm

Tomatowen, there's absolutely no problem here. Nothing to forgive, easy to forget. I asked for it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Crook, good luck, but I fear it'll be a long road with not very much at then end of it. I know you're up to the challenge, but would you not rather mod a more popular game that has proper tools? Is overcoming technical probelms really more rewarding than the end result? Wouldn't it be more satifying to see your work being widely played by an enthusiastic community?
Durandel

Postby Col_Spankov » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:25 pm

Col_Spankov

Postby Swifty » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:50 pm

Swifty

Postby Edge_28 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:31 pm

Edge_28

Postby Crook » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:42 pm

Crook

Postby Swifty » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:35 pm

Swifty

Postby Crook » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:00 am