Come on then; tell me HW2 was a good game!

Moderators: Meurig, Spooky, Crook, Thursday

Durandel

Post by Durandel » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:21 pm

This is an "I told you so" thread. It's more of a rant than anything else.

HW2 was rubbish; it's got no players, no tools and no future. When I've said this before I've had a whole bunch of people telling me I was an arse. Well it's less than a year since the game shipped. Where are all the fanbois now? Come on; tell me I was wrong!

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:35 pm

Which would you prefer, a medal or a chest to pin it on?

Jesus H. Christ, Durandel, get over it. So we got a mediocre game. It happens.

I don't know what perverse pleasure you get from taking every possible opportunity to say that HW2 sucked, but hasn't the enjoyment worn off a [i\little[/i] yet?

Tomatowen

Post by Tomatowen » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:48 pm

If you believe that HW2 has no fans and no future, then you should look no farther than the Relic Forums .
Specifically check out this area: Homeworld 2: Tanis Shipyards. Note that there are 85 threads in the "Completed mods" section, and 140 in the "Mods in Progress" section.
And if you think there are no tools, then check the Advanced Modding Lab for HW2 (esp the topic entitled "List of tools" [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

I hope i've made my point clear. There are lots of devoted fans to HW2 and lots of people who are trying hard to mod it. I think all three games in the Homeworld series are excellent, and i enjoy playing all three games and mods based on them. I'd even like to try a bit of HW modding myself, but i'm still too much of a n00b modder to do that right now. As you said, the game isn't even a year old. Just give it a little bit of time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 29. June 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Tomatowen ]

Durandel

Post by Durandel » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:56 pm

Mediocre, shite. it's all irrelevant now. Still, I'll take the medal since you ask so nicely. Not quite sure about the chest gag...

As for enjoyment, yeah, it has kind of worn thin. I think what aggravated me most was the unreasoning loyalty shown by the fanbois. I don't like being insulted by idiots who can't face the facts, know what I mean? But even fanboi baiting has lost its charm now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

This was just a last little blast while I was expressing my heartfelt opinions about GW Bush, death, religion and the state of British politics.

*EDIT
Tomatowen, welcome, you're the perfect example of the fanboi type! You have no idea what you're talking about, you have no idea who you're talking to, but you wade straight in!

Let me set you right here. I am the author of the only 100% complete HWC Total Conversion mod. As for HW2 modding, the "list of tools", as you'd find out if you tried any actual modding, is almost completely worthless. The "completed mods" is almost entirely made up of minor tweaks to ship stats, the vast majority of which are abandoned by their authors. The "lots of people" you talk about are a tiny group, many of whom no longer play the game. Go online and see how many actual players there are; it tells a different story. As for the mods in progress, they're dropping like flies. I doubt if more than two or three will ever actually be completed. Most of those that last till the end of the year will likley be repurposed to Nexus when it's released.

[ 30. June 2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Durandel ]

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:13 am

Crap game?

Well then, let's spice it up a bit, shall we? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Durandel

Post by Durandel » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:23 am

Meurig, how? And don't say modding, because there's no audience and no workable tools. The PDS mod is the best attempt so far and, although it's quite good, it's done nothing to revive the game. What's the point in trying to fix an unfixable game that's already beyond redemption?

When Nexus ships (I bloody hope) there will be some decent tools. Then we can look forward to the talents and work of the HW2 modding teams being put to good use with a fresh game, fresh palyer base and a chance to get some real, satisfying results. As opposed to banging their heads against the brick wall that is HW2.

[ 30. June 2004, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Durandel ]

Edge_28

Post by Edge_28 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:15 am

Im in the audience

cheap ticket too....

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:20 am

Here's a question for ya, D--

How do you know that this "Nexus" game is going to be any less of a dissapointment than HW2? At this point, all you have is the assurances of developers, which is exactly what we had at this point a year ago on HW2... ;)

Tomatowen

Post by Tomatowen » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:12 am

Alright, Durandel. I tried to keep my first one decent and civilized, but since you've basically just treated me like shit, lets flame on!

So, to start off. I dont know who I'm talking to (namely you). Well let me ask you a question. Why should i give a fuck? You act like you're so high and mighty, like it's some great priviledge to speak to you. You've been here what? A year and a half? It doesnt matter how long someone has been here. The fact is you're acting like a total asshole and that wouldnt be any different if you were member #1 or brand new.
Good for you for being the author of "the only 100% complete HWC Total Conversion mod." I dont much care. If you're so pissed and dissapointed about the HW2 modding situation, why dont you go and write some of your own goddamn tools and mod it yourself? Or maybe you cant because all you know how to do is complain about how much other peoples work sucks and not bother even trying things on your own.
Your pessimistic attitude toward HW2 and its entire community certainly isnt going to help any mods get made.
Your pessimisim extends to say that the mods in progress are "dropping like flies" and that you "doubt more than 2 or 3 of them will ever be created." Well i doubt you even checked the links i posted. A forum where mod progress on several mods is updated almost daily does not suggest "dropping like flies" to me. And i can think of two HW2 TC mods right off the top of my head that i am sure will be completed. Star Wars: Warlords is one of them, because of the amazing progress their mod team has made so far. They have replaced more than 2/3 of the ships in the original game, and have a public beta available for download. The other mod is B5: Great Wars. This one is still in its early stages, but since Crook, Spooky, and Thursday showed such unbelievable devotion to modding HW1, i know they wont just "abandon" a mod like you seem to think is so common. If you want some evidence of this, go check out some of the fantastic preliminary work that Crook has done so far. (Look no farther than a few forums below this one on the main page.)

So, let me get one last thing straight. You said you brought this up before, and you basically just got a whole bunch of people telling you that you were an arse. Then please explain to me why oh why the hell you brought it up again?!

And I do know what I'm talking about. And I don't need you to set me straight on anything.

Thank you.

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:52 am

Keep it calm, folks.

And yes Durandel, I mean by modding it. I don't really know about the tools situation since I haven't had the time to look into the HW2 modding scene lately (something which I'm going to start doing very soon). But I know a few people that are making heady progress with getting things into HW2, and I've got contact with them. It's by communication that modding spreads, not tool availability.

Anyway, your opinion is your opinion, and you can think what you like [img]smile.gif[/img]

Return to “Homeworld 2”