is it just me...

Moderators: Meurig, Spooky, Crook, Thursday

Chevieblazer

Post by Chevieblazer » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:27 pm

or has this maya thing effectively killed all hw2 modding?
i seem to remember, a rough year ago, before HW2 came out, everybody was greatly exited about the coming possibilities. every mod team in the hw community seemed to wait for hw2 to come out so they could mod the heck out of it.
now, 9 months later, the only tc for hw2 i've heard of is 1(!) starwars mod!!!

on the other hand, because hw2 is out ,there seems to be a lessened interest in modding hw1...
You stop that!You scare my chicken!(Wing Commander)

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:39 pm

Ways around it are being found, the Maya thing hasnt helped but it'll be worked out eventually and then modding will start up again properly [img]smile.gif[/img]

Durandel

Post by Durandel » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:29 pm

Its not just you. The lack of ANY workable tools certainly disheartened a lot of people. I also think that HW2 was such a disapointment in general that many fans simply gave up on the HW universe. Sadly I expect most of the (tiny) remaining player base will have lost interest before too long.

There is a lot of talk about tools coming from the MOD community, but I dont think people are being realistic. HWSE2 (if & when it is released) will only allow custom ships to be added to the game. There still wont be workable tools for SP campaigns, backgrounds, special abilities, AI functions or map editing. And HW2 still wont support recorded games, so half the enjoyment of using new ships in big battles will be lost anyway.

I think it's obvious that HW2 modding is completely unimportant to Sierra/Relic. I am furious that they deliberately mislead us.

[ 02. April 2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Durandel ]

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:14 pm

Yes, but the HW equivalents of those tools didnt come straight away did they? It took a good two or three years before GOOD tools were available.

I remember (back in the day, when I were a lad ;) ) when VME was considered the most astounding thing ever.

HW2 modding will pick up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

adrian shepard

Post by adrian shepard » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:57 pm

hehe... I stil remember when da released their demo of da1... I was'nt even registered under this name then...

and the fact that I cracked the harvester problem when the full game was released.

theblessedsheridan

Post by theblessedsheridan » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:44 pm

And I remember when VME was the stuff of dreams [img]tongue.gif[/img] only a glint in an eye [img]smile.gif[/img]

anyway yeah I fully belive once the clever people find there way around all the various hurdles HW2 modding will launch in a big way.

Don't forget HW2 is actually a very modable and powerful game hugely more so than HW1 was (although HW1's very unmodabilty was attractive to some), its just locked away behind those first few hurdles, waiting to be unleashed.

Durandel

Post by Durandel » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:58 pm

Dont forget that HW was well promoted, highly acclaimed and attracted an enthusiastic fan base. You cant say any of that for HW2. Sales, quality & support were poor. After just 7 months the player community is almost dead.

Developing tools from scratch for an unpopular game with no support/tools will take a long time. There simply isn't going to be an audience for HW2 mods.

[ 02. April 2004, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Durandel ]

Del

Post by Del » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:23 am

Especially not if they have a release every odd year... Don't think much anyone will keep interest in HW2 in 2,3,4 years.

Swifty

Post by Swifty » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:25 am

Aye I agree with you both, Tools will come - but they'll be only a few deidictaed mod teams who will want to mod homeworld 2.

As for me , Im waiting for half-Life 2..or more spefically Source. Playing around with 3 ideas, one is an space based RTS.... ;)

RL~Assassin~

Post by RL~Assassin~ » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:55 pm

you know this S*cks, wth is wrong with all you ppl who say HW2 is a disappointment, what did you want?? that it came with a visor so you have full 3-d panoramic veiws? i dont know what everyones problem is with HW2, and it looks pretty moddable to me (admittedly i am not a modder but i saw much more mod progress after a few months with this game than i saw after a year on HW1)

could someone explain exactly why they are disappointed???

Return to “Homeworld 2”