Down and dirty modeling tutorial

Homeworld Mod which adds and makes available Kadeshi craft.

Moderators: InocPrime, Charvell

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:16 pm

For those who want to learn more about models and moding them.
Some things you may know and some things you don't know.

Smoothing.
Making a perfect fitting texture.
Lighting and more.

Tutorial

[ 19. October 2004, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:00 am

Wow, this is great.

I knew some of this already, but I see I have much to learn yet. :D

(actually, that of it I knew, I learned putting your B'rel ingame in SoA [img]smile.gif[/img] . It did end up getting remade, since I can't lod to save my life, and the model was too high poly at the time)

I give it 10 out of 10 and two thumbs up (this is where a thumbs up smilie would come in handy :rolleyes: )

InocPrime

Post by InocPrime » Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:47 am

Lol, good job Charv [img]smile.gif[/img]

Pesmontis

Post by Pesmontis » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:23 am

Wow! Now THAT's what I call a TUTORIAL!

I have a question too:

Since it is 'materials' that are smoothed, what happens on the border between two smoothed materials, if that border is welded? (To avoid confusion, say you're also using two different LiFs for those two materials).

Wouldn't you say that in that case the border lines will not appear smoothed in HW?

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:10 am

If you smooth two separate objects and don't weld them then you get two separate smoothing angles and separation. If you weld them the separation is gone and the objects appear as one. What's happening is the normals for the objects that are smoothed are averaged between faces for a smooth appearance between them. If you don't weld them the normals don't get averaged between the objects. (which when welded become one) at the point between them. The normal determines how light is reflected off the object. Let's say for example you have two strait lines drawn on a piece of paper and those two lines are not paralell but they join at one end (like a V). The normals for each line are set at 90 degrees from the flat plane of each line. At the junction of these two lines the normals differ greatly and so you see a non smoothed object (corners). When you smooth the two lines what you're doing is setting the normals at the junction between the lines to average the angle of both and so you see no crease or joint.

(edit) I want to add that the smoothing of two objects that are side by side can be a very usefull effect; for instance a bridge blister on an already saucer shaped ship that was created from one sphere. Leaving the bubble welded will not show the details of the two separate objects but unwelded you see both shapes and both are smoothed. The advantage of modeling in this way is there are no un-needed or hidden faces below the bubble and a cleaner end product.

I'm still learning and you'll more than likely find plenty of my models where I didn't follow my own advice. The thing about modeling is that anyone can produce a masterpiece but only a few will actually take the time to do it. It depends on your interest factor and patience.

[ 30. July 2003, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

Pesmontis

Post by Pesmontis » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:52 pm

You've got a good point anyway, maybe we should add some options in HWSE for keeping / splitting up vertex normals for smoothing purposes & based on material borders. But that won't be as flexible as welding / splitting vertices in a drawing program.

By the way, did you know that the original HW files only contain vertex normals for the faces that are smoothed?

[ 31. July 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Pesmontis ]

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:50 am

Without normals how does the object declare which way to reflect light? I'm not believing you.

[ 03. August 2003, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

Pesmontis

Post by Pesmontis » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:21 pm

Well, vertex normals are only used for smoothing, it's very well possible to have models without (or, like in the original HW PEOs, faces with non-smoothed materials).

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:18 pm

A vertex normal is connected to every vertex of a smoothed object. If that object is not smoothed then the normal will be a point above the face (face normal) and not associated with a single vertex.

So the peo doesn't use vertex normals to show flat shading and therefore you are essentially correct.

Normals are a point in space that the hardware uses to determine the intensity of light.

[ 07. August 2003, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

Lt Jim

Post by Lt Jim » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:54 am

Hello there. been out of the loop for a while. Would like a read through the tutorial but can't link to it!!!! D'oh !

[ 21. July 2004, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Lt Jim ]

Return to “Kadeshi Discussion”