The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:49 pm

The_Picard
Superior Member
Member # 2272

posted 23 December, 2003 03:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question. What scale should I use when making models so they are decent sized in HW2? I am using lightwave.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 205 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged |

TheStressPuppy
Moderator, ST:HW Modeller, Romulus Lead
Member # 208

posted 09 January, 2004 08:43 AM
HW2's stock models seem to be half the size of original HW. However we use "truescale" in our mods. What that means is 1 unit of measure in your 3d prog is 1 meter.

example: Galaxy class is 641 meters. The Z length of the galaxy mesh is 641. This way we avoid tweaking our mesh's to fit other mods scales cause we use a universal scaling system.

[ 09. January 2004, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]
Posts: 2115 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Dec 2000 | IP: Logged |

Captain Pierce

Raiders Ascendant, Innocence and Wrath, Beyond the Final Frontier, The Wounded, Into the Light
Member # 283

posted 09 January, 2004 01:08 PM
Actually, HW2 ships are more like a third of the HW scale, based on the HW2 Mothership being 2500-ish meters tall, and the HW1 version being just on the high side of 7000.

The thing that kind of sucks, though, is that the engine is coded to the ships' scale, which makes the already small HW2 maps ridiculously small if "true" scale ships are used. Once we're actually able to get ships into the game properly, I think we're going to find that the old HW "true" scale thing may not work so well here...
Posts: 5068 | From: I'm from Iowa--I only work in outer space | Registered: Jan 2001 | IP: Logged |

TheStressPuppy
Member # 208

posted 09 January, 2004 04:04 PM
In that case we may have to half scale it (half of truescale). Man i hate messing around with scales

TheOneNamedViper
what is 6 * 7 ?
Member # 235

posted 10 January, 2004 04:28 PM
This scale issue is annoying. I wish Relic would just release a scale picture of all the ships in HW2, so we can see how long one hw2 unit really is in meters.

The problem with resizing the ships, though is that the distances in the .shp files won't fit the actual length our ships will have.
Posts: 4242 | From: Denmark | Registered: Dec 2000 | IP: Logged |

Sjet vs. Kerrigan

Freelance Armourers
Member # 83

posted 11 January, 2004 04:27 AM
New maps! The obvious solution.
Posts: 2433 | From: Dallas,TX,USA | Registered: Nov 2000 | IP: Logged |

TheStressPuppy
Member # 208

posted 11 January, 2004 03:42 PM
The scale of HW2 original models is irrelivent as far as im concerned. We will try "Truescale" 1st and see how it goes, If it doesnt work out we will "Half-Scale" the truescale values.

What i do find interesting is when you open a hw2 model in max, milkshape, maya, whatever. the model itself seems awfully huge. This applys to mainly the cap ships. they are zoomed in so far u see only a few polys before you have to zoom it out (and you have to zoom out alot before you see the whole model) just curious as to how they scaled the originals.

These are the previous post deleted from tutorial thread above.

I moved the disscussion from tutorials thread to here. Reasons being self explanitory. Tutorials thread should be for posting tutorials only. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused [img]smile.gif[/img]

Continue Disscussion from here :D

[ 11. January 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]
How can you alter one side of a bargain? baltar
When there is no "other" side...You missed the whole point of the war. The Imperious Leader

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:38 pm

Captain Pierce posted 09 January, 2004 01:08 PM

Once we're actually able to get ships into the game properly...
Enlighten me about this remark please? Is it another smoothing issue?

I have Maya 6.0 but no plugin for it. Bummer huh?

[ 07. March 2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:42 am

Hey Charv' The real issue is that none of us here know how to use maya let alone import using the rdn tools. I personally have no desire to learn the program, being that ive been working with max, and LW all these years. You are more than welcome to try your version of maya tho i think the new plugs were ment for maya 5. I cant help u much more than that sorry :(

[ 08. March 2005, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Sjet vs. Kerrigan

Post by Sjet vs. Kerrigan » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:17 am

I still think a meter is a meter is a meter and there are no "Homeworld units"

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:09 pm

I think a meter is also a meter. It's the profoundly simple things in life... :D

I'm going to do some research and experimenting to see if my version will actually work. I'll let you know.

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:04 pm

Originally posted by Charvell:

I'm going to do some research and experimenting to see if my version will actually work. I'll let you know.
Use google to search the relic forums as there is a way to get the plug-ins to work under newer versions of maya.Use maya and plug-in as keywords to be searched at http://forums.relicnews.com/ forums only.Unfortunately I don't have the url to the post anymore.The plug-ins can be found at Relic Developers Network.

maxdamage.

[ 14. March 2005, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: maxdamage ]

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:48 am

There are not "ways to get the plug-ins to work with later versions" per se, except to completely recompile them. Somebody did this for Maya 5.0, but of course with 6.0's release those became obsolete again. :rolleyes:

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:05 am

dont feel bad, alot of people are still working with 3dsMax 4.0...whats the version thats out now?....SEVEN?!

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:55 pm

I always figured there's no real reason to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading... if the old version still works for you, why blow the cash on the upgrade? [img]smile.gif[/img]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:40 pm

prolly for the same reason people upgrade OS's, to get that nifty little feature they will rarely if ever use. Take Windows 2000, and Windows XP for example. While they may have different UI graphics, they are both essentially the SAME OS. XP is Win2K with a bunch of buggy automated bells n whistles, and XP needs twice the ram 2K does to run smooth. Anything XP can do Win2k can do also (in some cases better). So thats a good question, why do people upgrade?

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”