[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Gaming Union • View topic - SWNR - H2Trek coming together?

SWNR - H2Trek coming together?

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

Postby Howedar » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:04 pm

For a little extra work, "imperial-ized" Defiants could be meshed and stuff. Just stick on some turrets, armor over the warp nacelles, texture differently, replace the deflector with big honking space guns.
Howedar

Postby deathblane » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:05 pm

Err, yeah [img]smile.gif[/img] . This all sounds pretty cool. Would it be possible to indulge in piracy too? A kinda 4th source of resources.
deathblane

Postby Captain Pierce » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:38 pm

Actually, somebody over at the Relic boards just released something along those lines, a script where ships pop in carrying resources... ;)

As for the "hero" ship idea, I like it, but I think it needs a little expansion. I would suggest a system where only certain classes of ships are capable of being "fleet command," so that even if your "hero" ship is destroyed, command can transfer to another ship, in the same way that command can transfer from the MS to a carrier in HW/HW2 MP. For example, in the SW universe, if an ISD-II or Home-1 is the MS replacement, then perhaps having an original ISD or standard MC-80 as the carrier, with the ability for fleet command, would be a way to go.

For that matter, in a mod like this, would you have the (again using SW for an example) MS ISD-II be the ONLY ISD-II you could build? If not, would you have the additional ISD-II's be identical, or somewhat "tuned down" (less firepower, or less accuracy, or less something else) to reflect their status as non-"hero" units? In some respects, for some lineups, having a "unique" MS makes some sense--Home-1, for example, was unique AFAIK; and, in Stress' post-TMP mod, it would seem to make sense to have the Enterprise-B as the MS, but no other "Excelsior II" class ships buildable--but I seem to recall that there were plenty of ISD-II's, and I wouldn't expect the Romulans to have a unique MS...
Captain Pierce

Postby Pos_21 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:13 pm

Where would the cut off between "Manufactured" and "Reinforced" be? AFAIK the only ships, ST or SW, that don't have FTL drives are lower-grade Imperial fighters.

And would all ships be able to capture these "Stations" we'de litter about the maps? Perhaps give all ships the capture ability, but give larger ships a faster rate of capture, if that's possible?

Shaping up to be a great mod :D

P.S.: Nice recovery of the thread, Z ;)
Pos_21

Postby Zeelich » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:19 am

Captain Pierce has hit upon the one problem I have yet to decide how to fix with Command ships. I want the 'Original' commandship to be unique, but not all races have a unique ship. I'd like to see this sorta gameplay as canon as possible.

Also, a probelm with the idea of the game ending when your commandship dies is that all the Stations/Factories under your control will disapear along with your fleet. I've come to the conclussion, though I'll keep looking into it, that this can't be helped. Stations/Factories will have to be considered Production Capable, and so as long as they are a part of your fleet, the game continues. Of course, they don't HAVE to be able to build anything. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think the biggest difference between Manufactured and Reinforced would be that Manufactoring is cheaper/quicker. There would also be certain ships that can only be manufactured. There may even be special versions of regular units that can only be manufactured. Such as an X-Wing with Mag-Pulse Torpedeoes. Maybe even the ability to 'research' the production of enemy vessels. Or upgrades to certain technologies that come about by studing enemy technology. For example: Romulan/Klingon cloaking tech. is more advanced than Imperial designs. Capture a Romulan Shipyard and Imperials can upgrade there cloaking technology. Kinda like what Howedar said about Imperial-ized Defiants. It would defeinatly add a little variety to your fleets.

I was thinking that only certain ships would be able to capture others. Like Shuttles and Transports. Although, maybe with StarTrek ships, we could make it they all can capture, since they have Transporter technology.

[size="1"][ 01. January 2004, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Zeelich ][/size]

"You WILL respect my authority!" - Eric Cartman
Zeelich

Postby TheStressPuppy » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:22 am

Re-enforcements i belive should be possible in all scenario's even if you have a production unit in your fleet. Like Z said building would obviously be much faster since the shipyard or base is with you and your fleet. However Re-enforcements would be the opposite. You have to take into account build time PLUS distance to travel from thier base to your position. Example shipyard/base build time for a tie fighter squadron could be less than a minute, but a call for a "re-enforcement" squadron could take as long as 5 minutes. Thing is we arent sure if it will work or not. More research obviously needs doing.
TheStressPuppy

Postby Zeelich » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:49 pm

Not sure what will work or not? I havn't suggested anything so far that can't be done. MODding HW2 is actualy pretty easy. The only problem is a lack of tools. The abilities of the ships and research trees are very flexible.

Adding new races is extremly easy to. Those races can than have as few or as many ships as you want.

The only problem I've found is that once a Station/Factory is captured it can't become neutral again. It has to be captured or destoyed. That's whay I've been think we'd make them indestructable.... Maybe. [img]smile.gif[/img] It might be better to go that extra centimeter and have an option in the Multiplayer menu to choose weather or not they can be destroyed. It'll just mean adding another rule. I can do that easily enough. The documentation Relic provided makes it easy.

[size="1"][ 01. January 2004, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Zeelich ][/size]

"You WILL respect my authority!" - Eric Cartman
Zeelich

Postby Captain Pierce » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:35 pm

If you want, say, a "manufactured" X-wing squadron to be cheaper than a "reinforced" one, all you'd have to do is make two different .ship files for the X-Wing. "rbl_xwing_man" and "rbl_xwing_re" would be different only in the build time and/or cost.

God, I love data-driven shiplists... :D

[size="1"][ 02. January 2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ][/size]
Captain Pierce

Postby DW » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:26 pm

In my opinion a hero ship should be a hero like the enterprise though in the time period for the rom mod the enterprise is either being decommissioned or has been and the Ent-B is probably not around yet correct me if I'm wrong on any subject. This way you might be able to use the reinforce idea but find a way if you can to make it so it is a one build even if it gets destroyed or maybe part of a map or map option to start with and not be able to build like the single player hero ships you get them and you got to keep them alive or you lose them.
DW

Postby Captain Pierce » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:42 pm

Actually, you'd be wrong there, DW. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Sorry.

The Ent-B was commissioned the very same year (2293, if you're keeping score) that the Ent-A was decommissioned. The only long gap that we're aware of between Enterprises is the 20-year gap between C and D...
Captain Pierce

PreviousNext

Return to Homeworld 2 Trek