What Happened??

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

bobmat

Post by bobmat » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:40 pm

One Question... Where are all the mods for HW2?!?!

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:38 pm

I was wondering the same thing, but I'm apparently the only team member left who checks this forum, and I'm also out of the loop on that one...

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:38 pm

HW2 modding in general has been extremely slow to get started... the need for Maya 3 to fully utilize the modding tools has been a bit of a sticking point, not to mention that the fact that the game wasn't all that impressive made a lot of people not care so much about modding it...

Uraniun235

Post by Uraniun235 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:35 am

I was under the impression HW1 really hobbles mod developers with a lot of hardcoded barriers - is this still true in HW2?

Also, did it have to be Maya 3 precisely? There's a "Learning Edition" of Maya 6 available...

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-servi ... ndex.shtml

Aurek

Post by Aurek » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:53 am

I was under the impression HW1 really hobbles mod developers with a lot of hardcoded barriers
Ture but knowing this you will like to know about Homesource the Homeworld Source Code Modification Project. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 21. October 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Aurek ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:21 pm

No, HW2 did get rid of the hardcoding problems, but it added a whole bunch of new problems... ;)

Yes, it has to be Maya 3. With each new version of Maya, the scripting language used to make plug-ins changes, meaning that a plug-in scripted for one version of the program will not work with any other version. Relic did release the source code for the plug-ins, and someone tried to re-compile them for Maya 5, but IIRC there are a couple of the tools that still don't work quite right in 5.

As for PLE, you have to remember that it is an extremely limited program. One of its main limitations is that it can't load plug-ins, which means that it is completely impossible to use the mod tools with it.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:41 pm

Pierce is right, Any HW2 modding that is not script related (models, and importing, fx, etc.) MUST be done with Maya version 3. That issue in itself is the main reason why so many are turned off to modding this game. I think we probobly should remove this section off the boards because nobody from trekmods is doing anything with HW2 at the moment, and are most likely not going to in the future.

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Wed May 11, 2005 1:30 am

Stress, If I had a way to get Maya 3.0 there would be no obstacles; for that matter, if any one of us could get our hands on a single program........... It's an old program that they don't sell or support any more. I really don't see why Relic couldn't have a talk with the Maya people and for the sake of the community that supports them, release 3.0 to us for a modest fee for modding purposes. Where's the harm? Look at the good it would do for the game "AND" Maya.

Question: Who want's to be the one to see about getting this done? Has anyone tried yet?

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Wed May 11, 2005 11:18 pm

Maya 5 works ok for me with the maya 5 hw2 plug-ins and putting new ships in hw2. What problems are you having?

maxdamage

Post by maxdamage » Thu May 12, 2005 10:49 pm

Originally posted by Charvell:
Stress, If I had a way to get Maya 3.0 there would be no obstacles; for that matter, if any one of us could get our hands on a single program........... It's an old program that they don't sell or support any more. I really don't see why Relic couldn't have a talk with the Maya people and for the sake of the community that supports them, release 3.0 to us for a modest fee for modding purposes. Where's the harm? Look at the good it would do for the game "AND" Maya.

Question: Who want's to be the one to see about getting this done? Has anyone tried yet?
What about a modified version of Maya 3D v3.0 that can only export files in HW2 file format ie.export .hods,.madstate,etc.. only?Import any 3D file format,etc.. into Maya 3D.As long as it is available in South Africa at a resonable price or free as it can only export HW2 files.

I can't get it because the last amount wanted for Maya 3D v6.0 was $2300 and then convert that to local Rands and cents then you get R14214.00 :eek: Ouch!Thats why I haven't upgraded to Win XP yet.Waiting for me to get Maya 3D v3.0

maxdamage.

[ 12. May 2005, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: maxdamage ]
ImageNFS:MW NFS:U2 NFS:C Graaaagh! hellkom
"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle-station"- Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars movie Star Wars Episode 6:Return of the Jedi!
"I was elected to lead not read!" by Pres.Schwarzenegger in The Simpsons :The movie!

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”