ST: Romulus Mod disscussion

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:51 pm

Klingon Academy/Starfleet Command 1-2 Same thing different names.

I was thinking the same thing about the Klingon/Romulan schemes. Rommies can be Mostly Grey with a lighter shade of green tint but they dont have to have the red "feathers". In TOS the hulls of both rommies, and klink ships were battleship blue/grey. We saw the color change ST:TMP where the k't'ingas were a grey/greenish with blue hints. In ST:III they went with a dark green Kingo/Rommie BoP. Then they went back to the battleship grey with red detail scheme for the Q'onos 1 K't'inga in ST:VI. So it is possible for the Klinks to have a Grey Fleet while the rommies have a Green one, or vice versa.

I have no intention of going "ballistic" with FASA ships. The ones i mentioned before are pretty much the only ones i like out of that entire lineup. There are even fewer Klingon designs i like from there. Also your right cap alot of the fed designs are ridiculous. If it came down to it we will design our own ships like i did for the IaW/BTFF mothership.

Fewer IS better as far as modelling (and the struggling modeller) is concerned :D

I have a model of the Melek, I agree that it could use an overhaul to make it more "TMPish" IMO too smooth and curvy for a TMP rommie

[ 14. December 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Talonpest

Post by Talonpest » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:40 pm

What I meant to say in my last post is that the Romulans deffinately should use the D7 design, since we've seen them use it, but to have the Klingons and Romulans share more designs than that one would be kind of bleh... it would make Klingon/Romulan battles pretty uninteresting to have them all flying around in D7's and B'sOP.

I like what I'm hearing about redoing the game into something different, with no motherships and all. How are you going to do it though- just shipyards that you must defend at all costs, or what? How do we build more ships?

A couple of other questions- is it possible in HW2 to make the multiplayer playable by any of the THREE races instead of just two? I never heard one way or the other whether that would work or not.

Also, why not make the story be about a war between the Romulans and the Klingons rather than the Romulans and the Federation? I mean, it's pretty well established that there's only been one Earth/Romulan war, but the Romulans and the Klingons have been fighting on and off the whole time. It would fit into the canon better, and it would be something different to not have the Federation as one of the central players in the story.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:34 am

At the moment, having more than two playable races in MP is a bit sketchy. It works in skirmish mode, but not LAN or Internet. It's been said that, when more of the MP files are released, it should be possible to add more races to MP, but so far the proper files haven't been released.

The Tomed Incident of 2311 is perfectly canon. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As for why not a Rom/Klingon mod, well, can't speak for Stress, but personally I'm tired of the damn Klingons. [img]smile.gif[/img] The Klingons have been shoved down our throats by every series since TNG, while the Romulans barely appear. Also, in the time period we're working with here, the Klingons really aren't able to put up much of a fight--they're still recovering from the events of Star Trek VI, and I think are best used in a supporting role. This could even be why the "K'Vort" BoP comes into being--they don't want to spend the time and resources necessary to build a completely new class of ship, so they just inflate the BoP a bit. ;)

Finally, they won't ALL be flying around in D7's and B'soP. The Klingons aren't even using the D7 anymore in this time period. And I don't think the Roms would use the "K'Vort," so the only shared ships would be K't'ingas and "B'rels." With appropriate texture distinctions, I don't see anything boring about that. [img]smile.gif[/img] There will definitely be other ships in both lineups that will be quite different... ;)

deathblane

Post by deathblane » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:07 am

so what would be the optimum number of ships per side then?

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:22 am

I would say that neither the Roms or the Klingons should have more classes of ship than the Federation. That makes it a pretty small lineup, really, considering that I only came up with 8 solid ships and a couple of possibilities for the Feds. [img]smile.gif[/img]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:39 am

There will be no need for fighters, the only canon figher we saw was the perrigrene (or however u spell it).

I have now have no problem with a smaller lineup with each of the races having a different number of ship classes (not including support ships, or stations). like the feds 8, klinks 6, roms 10, or something like that. It will all depend on how balanced it will be. We dont want one side with all uberships, and other shortchanged, that will make MP suck badly. Of course we do want the sides to be distinctive. the rock, paper, sissor, theory, but not as extreme as vanilla HW2.

I would assume the initial release will consist of canon ships only for testing purpouses then we will work on the optimum lineups from there.

I want to try a "Re-enforcement" system along with a very limited Build, and resourcing system. since there will be no uber-motherships, or carriers. It will up to the stations, and shipyards to do the production. Not all maps will have a station or shipyard but it will still be possible to build, and the re-enforcements "warp" in. just make sure your "hero" ship survives.

[ 15. December 2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

deathblane

Post by deathblane » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:41 am

and it's going to be based around starbases rather than motherships then? Do you think you are going to have construction capeable ships?

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:53 am

I want to try Starbase, Station, and Shipyard only production (see above post). And the "Hero" ship. Basicly your races flagship. It cannot build, but it can call for "re-enforcements" by spending RU's to "Buy" the ships. once ship is built it warps into formation with your flagship. Re-enforcement should take longer than building from station. Take into account the build time PLUS time to travel to your location.

I also want to try tactical battles with no build or re-enforcement. basicly the starting fleet you have is ALL you get :D

[ 15. December 2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:01 am

There are a few smaller ships I think we should include, though.

For example, a recent Rick Sternbach write-up on the Constellation class mentioned a warp-capable recon shuttle that was still classified in the post-TNG area. Might be something fun to include. [img]smile.gif[/img] There are also some interesting smaller Klingon & Romluan ships, such as the K-27 Grim Reaper or N-8 Vigilant One, that could be fun to play with.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:11 am

Shuttles will play a role....a minor role ;) seriously a shuttle cant do very much againt a starship except cuss and swear at it. Shuttles will be mainly used for scouting roles, and harrassing your enemys work bees. ALL ships will be capable of carrying (not build) at least 1 shuttle, and a few workbees. Work bees will repair damaged ships, and salvage debris, and mine for RU's. Shuttles, and Work bees will be able to dock with ANY ship, but can only drop RU's off at a mining ship, or station/shipyard. basicly just like current hw2

[ 15. December 2003, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”