ST: Romulus Mod disscussion

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:57 pm

The "Romulus" Mod for Homeworld 2 is an ambitious project founded by myself, and hopefully will be supported by others in the ST:HW team.

The timeframe will be set in the TMP era after the events of Star Trek VI which leaves a very large gap to explore between TMP, and pre-TNG (the wounded timeframe).

The mod is based on a hypothetical war between the Federation, and the Romulan empire. With the Klingons as a Neutral party meaning they could fight on ether side, or BOTH sides, or chose not fight at all, or wait till one side wins, and fight the victor. Remember the Peace accords are NOT signed yet ;)

The reason i chose the Romulans as the primary antagonist is because no one has explored them near enough ether on, or off screen (ST: nemesis doesnt count IMO since its late TNG era).

I chose the TMP era after ST:VI for obvious reasons. Not near explored enough.

Scripting, and weapons FX wont be a problem at this point..Getting ships Imported with proper Mex (hardpoints, dock points, nav lights, etc), Textured with Light, Bump, and Specular mapping will be.

There will be ALOT of non-canon ships in this mod (especially for the Romulans)

Expect to see the usual lineup of Canon ships (from the TMP, and possibly cameo appearences of TOS era ships).

As i said this is an ambitious project, and the only ST:HW effort for HW2 that im aware of. Post your comments or suggestions [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 14. December 2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]
How can you alter one side of a bargain? baltar
When there is no "other" side...You missed the whole point of the war. The Imperious Leader

Meurig

Post by Meurig » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:10 pm

Hoorah, someone is FINALLY doing the romulans. Easily the best baddies in star trek and far far far under-used :D

The mod name though, I can only say 'Hoorah'. :D

[ 14. December 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Meurig47 ]

The_Picard

Post by The_Picard » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:28 pm

I have never been fond of non-canon ships in mods but I'll look foreward to this one. Even though I have no other hw2 program besides the demo for now.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:18 pm

Quick timeline of significant points:

2000 years ago: Surak's time. As Surak begins to spread his message of cthia ("reality-truth," often translated as "logic") and arie'mnu ("passion's mastery," often translated incorrectly as the elimination or suppression of emotions), Vulcan makes its First Contact with "alien" species. These pirates are the ancestors of the TOS-era Orion pirates (and presumably the DS9-era Orion "syndicate" :rolleyes: ), except a whole lot worse. The pirates claim to come in peace, but their landing is quickly revealed to be an invasion. In the course of defeating them, a rift forms between Surak and his earliest follower, S'task. Eventually, the rift grows to the point where S'task and his followers leave Vulcan in sublight generation ships, calling themselves Rihannsu ("The Declared"). The Rihannsu travel for more than one hundred years ship-time (rather more than that in real-time) until they find a habitable dual-planet system. Naming the planets ch'Rihan ("of the Declared") and ch'Havran ("of the Travellers"), the Rihannsu set out to build a civilization in their own way, and pay no mind to the call of space travel.

Sometime in the 2140's: Earth survey ship enters the Rihannsu system. One of its crew, of Italian descent, dubs the twin planets Romulus and Remus after an old legend of twin brothers. All their attempts at communication are ignored.

Early 2150's: A second Earth ship enters the Rihannsu system, and is promptly destroyed by sublight vessels. The Rihannsu/Romulans salvage the ship's warp drive and begin working on recreating it.

Late 2150's: The Earth/Romulan war is fought. The majority of the war is fought in space very near the Romulan homeworlds, but a strike group of the first warp-capable Romulan ships does make it all the way to Earth and conduct a militarily insignificant but highly demoralizing attack. The Earth government is put under immense public pressure to end the war.

2160: The First Treaty of Algeron is negotiated via audio communication between an Earth ship and a Romulan ship. The treaty establishes a Neutral Zone that neither side is to cross or enter. The Romulans retreat into their own space and are not seen or heard from in over a century.

2161: The United Federation of Planets is formed. While the UFP did not sign the treaty, it follows it nonetheless.

2266: A Romulan Warbird, equipped with a prototype cloaking device, crosses the Neutral Zone and destroys several Earth Outposts along the zone. The Warbird is destroyed by USS Enterprise before it can return to Romulan space.

2268: Romulans begin using Klingon-surplus D7-class battlecruisers in the fleet, supplementing the aging Warbirds. The D7's they're supplied aren't much newer, however. Captain Kirk of Enterprise steals a cloaking device from one of these D7's.

2270: Kor fights the battle of Klach'd'kel Bracht against the Romulans:

Early 2280's: Romulans and Klingons work jointly in developing the so-called "Bird of Prey" scout ship.

2293: Romulan Ambassador Nonclus is one of the conspirators in a plot to sabotage the Klingon/Federation peace process following the destruction of the Klingon moon Praxis.

2311: The Tomed Incident. The Treaty of Algeron is updated to include a clause prohibiting the Federation from developing cloaking technology. The Romulans once again withdraw into their own space and are rarely seen for more than fifty years.

2344: Starship Enterprise-C destroyed defending Klingon outpost at Narendra III from Romulan attack. After fifty years of unsteady peace, the Klingon Empire officially signs a peace treaty with the UFP.

2364: Starship Enterprise-D encounters a Romulan ship near the Neutral Zone, marking the Romulans' return to the galactic scene.

Most of these dates are either coming off the top of my head, or are just being made up, so they could be wrong. ;)

You'll note there's nothing from "Enterprise" in here, nor will there be. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:17 am

Obviously the tomed treaty was signed, and the rommies widthdrew cause the got thier arrogent green ass's kicked. By ether the feds, the klinks or both (Rommies have a very bad habit of pissing EVERYONE off).

The Time frame will be between 2293 and 2311. with the events leading to the rommies xenophobic widthdrawel never to be seen again till 2364

NO events from ST:ENT will be used, or even mentioned here

OK due to popular demand name of mod changed to "ST: Romulus"

[ 13. December 2003, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

deathblane

Post by deathblane » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:53 am

It would be pretty cool to see the romulans with more than about 10 ships (from their entire history). One thing I would question is the 'focused' ness of the mod. I mean with HW2's unlimited ship slots and 2+ races, why can't we just say we're doing era X, with races a,b and c. And then just add all the ships from that era for those races. Unless of course you're talking about the single player campeign whereupon I withdraw my entire point ;)

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:06 am

Because of the limited amount of ships to begin with. granted alot of non-canon work will be present, The Romulan side will probobly see ships from all the eras (up to the mods current timeline). I wouldnt be surprised if you saw an old TOS warbird fight along side a modern Melek class (d'deridex precurser)

If we did an "Era's of War" or Galaxy at War" mod that would totally toss any story we had in mind out the window for this particular project.

Tho a Galaxy At War mod is not out of the question featuring all of the known races. we will have to wait and see on that.

[ 14. December 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

deathblane

Post by deathblane » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:36 am

So how do you plan to implament the story then? and err, how many sides were you thinking of?

(ps, my hope one day is to see an 'ubermod' where you start with TOS era ships and research to SOA, but then thats just my little dream ;) )

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:03 am

I'd love to see a DS9 era 'Galaxy at war' type mod, with all ships up to that timelimit included in the shipset (maybe even including timetraveling ships from the future for completeness). That way you could release any Star Trek campaign as a sort of plugin for that main mod, simply referring to the ships already in there.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:59 am

I would think that this particular mod would feature a full lineup of TMP and immediate-post-TMP-era ships from all three major races of the time. Multiplayer could be very interesting indeed... ;)

I'm just going to go ahead and throw out what (for me, anyway [img]smile.gif[/img] ) are the obvious ships to include:

Federation--
Miranda
Constellation
Excelsior
Excelsior II (Enterprise-B)
Contitution II (Enteprise refit)
Centaur
Curry
Oberth
Soyuz?
Sydney

There are, of course, any number of other classes whose ships have registries placing them in this time period, but about which we have no info whatsoever (a quick glance at the Starship Database over at Ex Astris provides at least half a dozen).

Klingon--
"B'Rel" (109-meter BoP)
Akif-class (D7)
K'tinga (D8)
"K'vort" (327-meter BoP)?

Obviously, this is a little thing. There are some interesting FASA designs that we could use to flesh out the lineup, but the great thing about HW2 is that we don't NEED any particular number of ships for any race, so we only need to include the ships we actually LIKE rather than trying to shoehorn everything possible into a fixed lineup like in HW or HWC.

Romulans--
TOS Warbird
D7R
D8R (presumably this should exist)
Romulan "B'Rel"
Romulan "K'vort"?

The thinnest lineup yet. ;) There are some good FASA ships we can bring in here, but again we don't have to go crazy and throw in the horrible FASA stuff. :D There's also, of course, that pre-D'Deridex D8 rebuild that I've been pitching to the STHW team for years now. [img]tongue.gif[/img] And there's the alleged Melek-class that Stress mentioned, from the "New Worlds" game, but I've always moderately hated that design...

Additions and discussion welcome... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”