Galaxy Class ingame

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

Uraniun235

Post by Uraniun235 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:15 pm

Captain Pierce:

The saucer section did indeed fire phasers at the Borg ship in the separated assault.

Also, I'm fairly certain the saucer and stardrive sections have independant shield systems.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:57 pm

Even if they do have separate shield systems, the Saucer shield would be substantially better with the ability to draw power from the warp core instead of the less powerful fusion reactors that normally power the impulse drive and other secondary systems.

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:16 pm

still looks cool [img]tongue.gif[/img] and i said thats what they said the reason for it is [img]tongue.gif[/img] i dont care if its better as one ship or not, i wanna be able to do it cos it looks cool [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:23 pm

My point exactly. Who cares what advantages or disadvantages it has. Heck, they did it in Star Trek Armada II. Thats how these guys make money: making complete crap up, but make it look good. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:40 pm

*points at cap*

well u asked, it looks cool and that all that matters [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:06 am

i dont, cos then that would have required them to make new fight scenes, instead of reusing the same ones over and over again [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:38 am

Originally posted by Darth1o9:
still looks cool
You know, that's the thing... I never thought it looked that cool. In all honesty, I never quite bought it even back when I was first watching "Encounter at Farpoint" (the weekend after it originally aired, on tape, BTW; the first of only 3 times that I didn't see a TNG episode on its first airing, I am SUCH a nerd [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Maybe I over-analyze things...

*waits for the chorus of people yelling "MAYBE?!?" in disbelief*

...but my sense of what "looks cool" has a tendency to be influenced by what looks possible. :D The Galaxy-class is already a ship that doesn't look like it could possibly hold together under emergency acceleration to Warp 9, structural integrity fields or no. Factor in the fact that it's actually DESIGNED to come apart and go back together, and I'm amazed that the things didn't fly apart on a regular basis while making a sharp turn... ;)

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:15 am

Oh, let it go. They made the episode up. It's not like this is real life. You can get away with some stuff.

Talonpest

Post by Talonpest » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:17 am

So if having saucer seperation couldn't make Armada II any better, what makes you think it would make this mod any better? Sure, it might look cool. But personally I'm more interested in a game that's fun to play than one that's pretty to look at, and I think that saucer seperation would do more harm to game mechanics than it would do good for game asthetics. And doing stuff just because it looks cool is a really bad idea- you end up with bullshit like Voyager and Enterprise with that thinking.

The argument that it can do it in the show, so it should be able to do it in the mod doesn't really hold water- the ship in the show can do a lot of stuff you won't be able to do in the mod, like detach the Captain's Yacht or eject the warp core. This is a fleet-level game, not a starship simulator. We want less micromanagement, not more.

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:07 am

and it would ruin the game play how, it wouldnt, simple as dude, so sush, i like it personaly, and for starts no one knows for sure if it can be done, and if i hear u moan that something isnt cannon then i shall point out this topic 2 show that cannon only matter when it dosnt go against your views [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”