Galaxy Class ingame

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

Howedar

Post by Howedar » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:07 am

Originally posted by Gust0o:
I've been spending the week collecting comments that I feel help to make put-downs all the more spectacular.

I would like to draw attention to the term 'fan-wank' by Uranium235, and contend that that's one of the best uses of the english language in an argument I've seen since I started this search.

Thanks; it made the whole thread worthwhile [img]smile.gif[/img]
It should be noted that the phrase has been used extensively for some years at other forums.

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:08 pm

Originally posted by Captain Pierce:
It would have been a nice touch to continuity if the Galaxy's seen fighting in the Dominion War had been stardrive sections only, but unfortunately by that time "continuity" was a word that wasn't mentioned by the DS9 writers... :rolleyes:
Or one could speculate that all families or any others who might be evacuated in the saucer sectio would have been deposited at starbases or planets before the battles started, since the mission of those galaxy ships was solely that of combat in the period of them being assigned to various fleets, so they'd probably keep the saucer section connected to retain the firepower of its phaser strips. ;)

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:11 pm

they say that pierce cos i think they forgot that the ship cpuld do that or they were to tite to spend the money on the effects over and over again or that if they over used it they would just use the same scene over and over again and well it wouldnt look that great after seeing ever battle, being besides the point they didnt even have that many battles with galaxy class in really

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:54 pm

No, they said that THE FIRST TIME THE SHIP SEPARATED, in "Encounter at Farpoint" (the first episode, BTW). It wasn't any sort of a dodge to get out of using it.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three times that the saucer separated, outside of "Generations:"

1) Encounter at Farpoint, done during "battle" with the Q to get the civvies out of the way
2) Arsenal of Freedom, done during battle with automated sales-demo weapons system to get the civvies out of the way
3) Best of Both Worlds, done to confuse Picard

In only one of these 4 incidents (including "Generations") did the saucer so much as fire a shot, and then it was just something technobabbly and apparently utterly useless (except as a distraction). The fact that it was firing the alleged "antimatter spread" rather than the main phaser banks would suggest that the auxiliary fusion reactors in the primary hull aren't capable of feeding the phaser banks, at least not to the point where it can scratch the paint on a Borg Cube. ;)

Something that might be neat to do in a mod, especially an HW2 mod where the shiplists are totally mutatable, would be to give you the choice between building a complete Galaxy-class ship or just the stardrive section. Complete would have more firepower due to the primary hull phaser banks, but the stardrive section would be somewhat more manueverable (presumably), and perhaps even a little tougher (same shield power output protecting a smaller ship). And of course cheaper.

[ 05. January 2004, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pierce ]

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:50 pm

Ya, that might work. Overall, I'm starting to see that really these guys are right; there is little or no gain in battle by separating a galaxy class. Heck, the galaxy wasn't even designed for combat like, say the defiant and akira. It was specifically designed for exploration; to replace the older ships. Its still cool looking in combat.

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:51 pm

Oh, and I know they outfitted galaxys for combat during the Dominion War, but lets not get into that ;)

Talonpest

Post by Talonpest » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:16 pm

Well put Pierce. Though I think I'd rather just have one more class of ship than a Galaxy stardrive.

DS9 did have a little respect for continuity- for example, in the episode that introduced the Dominion, the captian of the Odessy had a line where he said they'd offloaded all the civilians from the ship on to DS9 before they left. Presumably, as Viper suggested, the total power of the ship is greater when the saucer is there, so ideally if they're near a space station they can just unload the civilians rather than seperating the ship to keep them safe. Assuming that, it makes sense for the Galaxy class ships in the Dominion War fleets to be whole, since they knew well ahead of time they were going into combat. And the fact that you didn't see both stardrives and saucers fighting indepentantly in the Dominion war is a pretty good indication that they fight better as a whole.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:21 am

Well, obviously, TONV's point about the main phaser banks is well taken. :D And yes, certainly, the Galaxies fighting in the Dominion War would have been sans civilians, so it's not a choice they would have had to make.

The Galaxy wasn't designed primarily as a combat ship, but as SOA proves, it's still capable of kicking some serious Jem'Hadar butt. :D Technobabbly Dominion weaponry (that never showed up again, strangely enough :rolleyes: ) notwithstanding.

Oh, and Talon, the great thing about HW2 is that you don't have to make that choice. Your shiplist can have as many (or as few ;) ships as you like... it's frickin' brilliant. :D

korunks

Post by korunks » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:29 am

I would like too see the future galaxy x upgrade in a mod, complete with mega cannon upgrade. HEHE [img]graemlins/eviltail.gif[/img]

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:02 am

The technobabble disappeared because Sisko stole a Jemmie Bug that let the Federation analyze the tech and develop a counter, much like what they later did with the Energy Dampener IIRC.

Just explaining, not excusing or condemning.

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”