Galaxy Class ingame

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

Talonpest

Post by Talonpest » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:35 am

I would be bad for gameplay because a) it would be more micromanagement, which on a fleet-level game is a bad thing b) it would be pointless, since the Galaxy would either be better in one peice or two and there would be no reason to use it in the inferior mode, and c) it would waste valuable coding time and effort that could go towards something that WOULD help gameplay.

And I have no idea what you're talking about- I'm not saying that the Galaxy can't seperate, I'm saying that having it do so in game would be as functional as having a button to push that would launch the escape pods. I bet that'd be pretty too, but hardly worth the time or effort for what it would contribute to the game. I'm more than willing to stray from the canon a bit to make a game more fun to play.

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:04 am

I supose the saucer seperation could work if someone reworked the source code of hw1. Just to get it feel more authentic i supose.

But im not bothered myself as it would only be useful if crew was introduced in homeworld games and the galaxy would come in useful for saving most of the crew and then if it survived the battle it couuld reintergrate and get its extra crew back.

[ 07. January 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Skeeter ]

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:36 pm

i personaly dont think it would make a game less fun if u could, and sometimes a little extra thing like that can set it above the rest of the mods [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:59 pm

Well its not like people are going to say "gee, i need to separate my galaxy ships" during a battle. It's not like separation subsystems are going to make managing horribly hard. It's one small detail. No big deal. Not hard to manage. Plus, if you think about it, it could affect the galaxy's firepower in a good way, since the saucer section has a backup photon tube (dont argue on that point, it does. I read the technical manual, so ha. Eat my warp plasma [img]graemlins/eviltail.gif[/img] ) And I guarrantee there are tactical advantages, just not in a single battle. For instance, if you are attacking one enemy, and your ally needs help, separate ur ships, send the stardrives, and leave the saucers to handle ur problem. Sure, it leaves little hope for the saucers, but its better than nothing.

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:11 pm

im sad enough to own this book, someone bought it for me some time ago, however i never read it cos well who cares, i did have a model of the galaxy wit seperation saucer i dont remeber seeing any back torp turbes, i remeber a few extra phaser bnks [img]tongue.gif[/img] like 1 or 2

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:12 pm

also i dont remeber the galsy class ever using every phaser bank, cos it didnt do this, does it mean these should be included on the ship? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:57 am

well, it generally uses the more powerfull ones on the saucer i think.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:28 am

In a truly amazing coincidence, 99% of the Enterprise's targets were directly in front of it. ;)

It did use the aft photons on several occasions, though, beginning (once again) with "Encounter at Farpoint." [img]tongue.gif[/img]

DW

Post by DW » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:30 am

Pardon me, but SHUT UP!!!!!
God is their any point any more.
Yes a sep mod would be nice but can we talk about it AFTER a mostly finished with the mod, They can make a new and better Galaxy mesh with the sep option but not set it up, if at all possible out side of building a sperate stardrive, and then argue about it after we have a reason. As far as I know their is on HW, Cat, or HW2 Galaxy mesh out yet that will make it possible as of yet anyway.

God, and I thought I could be annoying.

[ 08. January 2004, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: DW ]

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:12 am

i wasnt just on about the enterprise [img]tongue.gif[/img] oh wait i forgot that was like the ONLY galaxy class ship that did anything [img]tongue.gif[/img] its not my fault the the guys who did the next gen battles were unable to use a 3d space rather than a 2d space really [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”