Galaxy Class ingame

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

Uraniun235

Post by Uraniun235 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:55 am

Originally posted by Phantom16:
um.... four words: more than one long ubersentence (guess that makes five).

Anyway, there is a tactical advantage to separation, especially for the prometheus. If you send one ship against, say, a heavy cruiser of a sort, the cruiser can direct all of its firepower on the prometheus, and it would be done for. However, it could separate, and have 3 different attack vectors. This would confuse the cruiser, and it would be trying to attack 3 separate smaller ships (and if the smaller ships were more manueverable, they would be able to avoid the slow firing of the cruiser.) This would work for the galaxy as well, but probably not to the same effect.
If anything, separate ships would increase the vulnerability of the Prometheus.

Let's assume they execute a "Multi Vector Assault" and come at the opposing starship from different sides. (i.e. one at the fore, one at the aft, one at the bottom) In the case of, say, a Galaxy class starship, you've actually handed the advantage to the Galaxy, who can now use weapons that otherwise would have been out of line-of-sight against the Prometheus ships. The Galaxy has actually increased the rate of damage on the Prometheus.

Another scenario. The Prometheus splits into three and charges the Galaxy all from one side. The commander of the Galaxy would be a fool to divide his weapons equally amongst the Prometheus group; no, he would concentrate all the firepower he could onto one of the ships, and take it down ASAP. Once it's down, the firepower of the Prometheus has been cut down by a third. Rinse and repeat. The shields on an individual Prometheus ship would also not be as strong as the shields on a full-sized starship, so the Galaxy would be able to knock one ship's shields (and then systems) down faster than it would if it were facing a single, larger starship.

Any competent starship crew would not be "confused" by a small task force of starships (Come on. There's still only three there.) that are still hundreds of meters long. And why would cruisers be limited to "slow firing"? If anything, given their larger reactors and more numerous weapons, they should be able to fire even faster than a smaller ship.

Also given that the Prometheus must waste space to provide for the docking and undocking of it's component starships, as well as wasting more space on individual computer, power and propulsion systems for each of it's components, the Prometheus does not use space as efficiently as a single starship would.

Quite frankly, "Multi-Vector Assault Mode" is and forever will be glitzy fan-wank bullshit, and nothing more.

[ 04. January 2004, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Uraniun235 ]

Talonpest

Post by Talonpest » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:53 am

Amen Uraniun.

Darth, the idea that the Prometheus' man strength is surprise is a huge waste of resources, since A) it would work a maximum of once, and b) it would depend on the enemy's sensors not picking up on the fact that the ship is built to do that.

And in TNG they didn't do it very often mostly because of budget constraints- it made it harder to reuse effects footage. And if they had, it would have been to keep the saucer section out of the battle like they did the two times they seperated in the first season.

But let's be realistic here- if this mod plays anything at all like SOA, we will be dealing with at the very least a dozen ships per battle. Do you really want to deal with that kind of micromanagement? Besides which, if the Galaxy is better seperated, why would anyone do anything other than seperate them the moment they're built? And if they're better in one piece, why would anyone ever seperate them? It just doesn't make any sense to waste time on it.

Uraniun235

Post by Uraniun235 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:43 am

Better yet, if the Galaxys were superior in their seperated form, why build the saucer in the first place when they could just forego the saucer altogether and build only the stardrive section? It would certainly conserve resources. (and what would you do with all those saucers that would accumulate?)

You know, in a single-ship simulation where you're in command of one ship, I could see how Galaxy separation might be a fun thing to have. Hell, I could even imagine possible scenarios in which it could be brought into play. In that kind of game, it's nice to be able to "be the captain" and have all the abilities seen on the show.

But in a tactical fleet-scale simulation? It's just not practical, and there's really no call for it at all... especially when game devs should work to reduce the need for micromanagement, not increase it with gimmicks.

Besides... isn't the Prometheus still an experimental starship, and as such not suited to being commonly deployed in battle?

Darth1o9

Post by Darth1o9 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:47 pm

well thats what it said on a site [img]tongue.gif[/img] which is what i said, on the daystrom site anyways [img]tongue.gif[/img] so suck my hairy balls [img]tongue.gif[/img]

and at the end the end of teh day its a function both ships have, which is a option for the commander, therefore it should be a option in any mod, if u think it has weakness, which i ant saying it ant, then dont use it, however the increased amount of weapons i do believe make it worth while [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:14 pm

I am going to shutup now, lol. But I'm still a cool guy. :cool:

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:51 pm

OK, kids, I think some of you are confusing the separation of the Galaxy-class, which was ONLY designed as a "lifeboat" function for the several hundred civilians living in the primary hull/"saucer section" in emergency situations, and that of the Prometheus, which was designed--however illogically--to somehow magically enhance its attack ability.

Phantom16

Post by Phantom16 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:43 pm

So could we design it so that when the damage of the "whole" galaxy was critical, it could separate, lose the stardrive, but still have the saucer section with, say, around half of its health?

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:08 pm

Did you ever see Generations? Once the stardrive section is damaged beyond repair, it's probably too late to get away fully functional. When the Ent-D went up, the Saucer section lost engine control from the blast and crashed on the planet it was orbiting, so I don't know how much use that Saucer section would be. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Gust0o

Post by Gust0o » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:29 am

I've been spending the week collecting comments that I feel help to make put-downs all the more spectacular.

I would like to draw attention to the term 'fan-wank' by Uranium235, and contend that that's one of the best uses of the english language in an argument I've seen since I started this search.

Thanks; it made the whole thread worthwhile [img]smile.gif[/img]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:41 am

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @ Bungle... :D

Phantom, the whole idea is that the saucer section would be "jettisoned" long before the battle was actually joined. It would have been a nice touch to continuity if the Galaxy's seen fighting in the Dominion War had been stardrive sections only, but unfortunately by that time "continuity" was a word that wasn't mentioned by the DS9 writers... :rolleyes:

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”