Subsystems in SOA

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:06 am

Given the level of modability that HW2 is supposed to have, I'm hoping for a setup pretty much along the lines of what Supernova is describing. I don't know if that's what HW2 has or not, but I'm definitely hoping. :D I'm also hoping that subsystems can be put on all ships, not just the big ones...

The other thing I'd have to hope for, in a Trek sense, would be the ability to put modules on all ships. For an HW2 HAG, for example, how cool would it be to have the ability to build a cloaking device on EVERY Klingon/Romulan (/Federation if you want to go REALLY crazy :D ) ship? :eek:

Talonpest

Post by Talonpest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:14 am

That would be nice if you could make it so that when you cycle through build menus I don't have to go through each and every ship in order to find my mothership. It always bugs me how I have to cycle the my battlecruisers in order to build some ships.

bones_of_the_many

Post by bones_of_the_many » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:21 am

Originally posted by Talonpest:
That would be nice if you could make it so that when you cycle through build menus I don't have to go through each and every ship in order to find my mothership. It always bugs me how I have to cycle the my battlecruisers in order to build some ships.
agreed, thats the only thing i cant stand about HW2. that and the frigates being too weak.

Vidar

Post by Vidar » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:02 pm

Hi, I'm new.

I have an idea for HW2. It's most likely a lot of work, but here goes.

How about you make a basic "damaged ship" model for each ship, and then create subsystems around the ship, in the form of undamaged parts.

such as the left and right sections of the saucer-section, left and right nacells (sp?), etc.

You could have an Akira with half the soucer-section mangled, and a destroyed nacell still fighting of whatever enemy is attacking.

It could take damage-effects to a whole new level.

Necro-99

Post by Necro-99 » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:03 pm

I imagine it would look a little messy when you moused-over the various "plugged in" healthy sections that were masking the craters underneath. Big, irregular hunks of the ship would be lighting up green.

CQD

Post by CQD » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:38 am

I think this partial damaged model looks good when warp nacelles subsystem are destoryble. But there will be too much nacelles to rebuild after a large battle.

I have a idea about shield. It is basically some kind of armor subsystem sourrunding the ship. This subsystem has a transparent model and can only be noticed when hit by enemy fire. Ship will be protected until shield subsystem is disabled or distoryed.

Ah...the Voyager armor can be easily implemented, too.

Vidar

Post by Vidar » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:59 am

We don't know how moddable HW2 is yet. Maybe we can "hide" subsystems, so that they don't light up green when moused-over, and don't have visible health-bars.

Example.

Take the Enterprise E.
Create subsystems for left and right parts of soucer section. Hide these subsystems, and leave the Nacell-subsystems visible.

Scoobing

Post by Scoobing » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:17 pm

The defence field-frigate has absolutely awesome star trek looking sheilds, which only show up when hit by enemy fire. I don't know the first thing about modding, but wouldn't it be possible to give all the cap ships this ability and have it default on? Granted theres no fore and aft grids, but it's a start [img]smile.gif[/img]

DW

Post by DW » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:53 am

I've never seen it when hit, but you do see a destenct blue glow when it's on or at least in the mission where you go and grabe the 3 core parts

Scoobing

Post by Scoobing » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:04 am

After a while that blue glow fades but then re-appears when it is it, it really reminded me of starfleet shields.

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”