My second ship in HW2!

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:39 pm

As you can see, the state of the fan-made tools for HW2 is not quite up to the standards we're used to from HW just yet... ;)
<a href="http://www.trekmods.com/" target="_blank"> Image</a>

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:05 am

How right indeed you are. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's still a nice effort. Keep up the good work. Do let us know when the tools are capable of the same things as the Relic built tools. At that point, I'll probably give things a go myself.

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:30 am

Well, the problem is that all the current tool can do is overwrite an existing .hod file. (.hod, for the uninitiated, is the all-in-one format that has replaced .peo, .mex, and the various .lif's all by itself. [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Most (if not all; certainly every one I've looked at so far) .hod's are made of multiple objects (as opposed to HW, which pretty much requires a non-turreted or -animated .peo to be a single object)--and each object only has one texture. So, the tool only lets you select one texture to use. :( Not sure if this is a limitation only of the tool, or of the .hod format itself...

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:07 am

I remember that talk about only being able to edit existing .hod files. Exactly one of the reasons I haven't made my own venture into gettings new ships ingame yet. ;)

Once we gain the ability to create multiobject .hods from scratch, I know exactly what'll be my first project. (and just in case you're wondering, no it's not Trek related)

DW

Post by DW » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:20 am

Looks fine for not having any thing else like a proper plugin for some thing like Maya 5 ple but what ever you are doing go with out one. Alos if you nead a bata tester I would love to take a wack at any mod you make.

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:33 am

Hehe. How wrong u guys are...

Use HODed that pipikin made i get fully textured ships ingame easy and it makes new hods not replacing ones but needs tweaking in ship file to remove weapons unless u can use HARDed to do the mex but that is beyond me on how to use it atm. Im talking to the main coders all the time and helping delphy alot with testing on hwse2.

So if u wana see a model look right let me know..

I'll put one in for u for a example when u send me one.

bones_of_the_many

Post by bones_of_the_many » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:09 pm

damn fine work Cap'n! damn fine work indeed.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:50 pm

Damn! :eek: i gotta get u the higher res textures for that. The Rendered shadows look great on it :D

Looks sweet even with the screw ups Nice work. You also have to replace the textures too cap (im not sure how because i havent tried myself yet) Skeeter How did you do it? this particular ship has 4 texture sheets, and the one im about to send cap has 6 (4 sheets 2 illumination maps)

EDIT: Oops, i didnt read a reply :/
Ok, If you can only use 1 Texture sheet in HodEd, I guess im gonna have to remap the ship using only 1 large sheet. (most of the HW2 models use 1024x512 or 2048x1024 sheets so i dont see larger sheets as an issue right now) What slot did you put that ship in?

[ 03. December 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:24 am

Yeah, Skeeter, that's all well and good IF HodEd RUNS without CRASHING on your machine.

Which, for some people, it simply doesn't.

No disrespect intended toward Pipakin, who's working his @$$ off on all this stuff. :D Just the perils of pre-alpha software... ;)

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:38 am

When does it crash for u Mr Pierce?

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”