Torpedos and Phasers

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:22 pm

I was woundering, do u think that with the illumination in hw2 u can get the photon torpedo launchers to glow sort of before they fire and then die down again? Also with phasers u know how with ion cannons in hw2 has a build up charge before it fires u recon ull be using that too for phasers? Would be cool if hw2 was possible of phasers on saucer hulls on fed ships to go round the saucer and then fire from the front like they do in the show.

Just somit i was thinking about just now that's all

bones_of_the_many

Post by bones_of_the_many » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:42 pm

i hope there are, plus that whole phasers going round the saucer section would be sweet.

as for illumination. if you remember the post a while back that shows that there IS illumination for the engines (on the larger capital ships)

maybe it would be possible to add a small orange (or green for you Klingon/Romulan fans) on the rear of the torpedo when it fires....theoretically you might get some kind of illumination.

of course....theoretical.

w dont have long to wait to see...its the 30th.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:53 am

judging by the way the weapon fx start on the dreadnaught cannon and sajuuk i think a tng phaser strip effect would be very possible. has anyone been able to dig into the fx yet?

[ 31. October 2003, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Necro-99

Post by Necro-99 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:36 pm

Here's a dumb question: In HW1/2, are all ion-beams the same, or can the damage vary by ship type?

For example, is a Nova's phaser as powerful as a Galaxy's phaser? If that's the case, than having one beam per phaser-strip (as it seems to be in the show) would really hamper a ship like the Galaxy, who would lose 4 beam weapons.

I kinda like the current set-up, where the Galaxy can fire on 7 targets at once, or train 3 or 4 beams on one target. Maybe you could simply break up the strip into 3 smaller ones. That's the way the Ambassador-class is, and it makes more sense to me, from a redundancy-standpoint.

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:42 pm

Each of the ships weapons are scripted per ship. Example: (these are not actual ship stats, just using to explain scripting)

A galaxy can have a number of ion cannons (phasers) set to do 10 points per second of damage with a fire time set to 3 seconds 10x3=30 points total per shot. You can also have the same weapon type but with different damage totals. Like the foward phasers set to 30, but aft phasers set to a weaker value like 15. This is all done on a per ship basis according to our best interpretation of the ships stats

NightsRaven

Post by NightsRaven » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:21 am

... isn't it on a per-weapon-type basis? Each type of weapon is assigned damage, etc. Then, ships can be given that weapon, which retains those characteristics?

[ 12. November 2003, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: NightsRaven ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:02 pm

Nope, only the graphic is shared between ships; damage, firetime and firing arcs are defined directly in the .shp and .mex files associated with the ship in question.

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:25 pm

I have no idea about this but i was woundering. Do you think that the way relic made hw2 like all scripts and all that and the way hw2 ships don't have slots now would they be the same for weapons? I mean is there only so many weapons or can u make as many new weapons as you like and have say a new weapon for each ship if you so wanted?

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:01 am

Why wouldn't you be able to do that? We're already doing it in HW, granted within certain limits. ;)

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:15 am

Originally posted by NightsRaven:
... isn't it on a per-weapon-type basis? Each type of weapon is assigned damage, etc. Then, ships can be given that weapon, which retains those characteristics?
Doh! my mistake :eek:

Yes, each weapon can be configured individually. Im assuming you are talking about HW1. The same can also be done with HW2 (as some of the new mods posted prove)

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”