Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

NightsRaven

Post by NightsRaven » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:09 am

Originally posted by TheStressPuppy:
there were hundreds if not thousands of ships on the map
I'd say this is the reason :D

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:52 pm

Ya im sure it was, hehehe the gunfire from the fighters, and vettes was so thick you could walk on it. it doesnt happen in a 2 player or 4 player matchup (tho i do get a slideshow in 4 player late in the game). im sure if i had an 866FSB MB, 3 gigs rambus memory, a 3 gig p4, and the latest 256 meg g-force card there wouldnt be any issues at all :/

My general rant is the damn keep up with the jones's attitude, and forced obsolecence put upon us from the game makers. basicly if u want to see all the features u MUST spend 3 grand on all of the above mentioned hardware. it just pisses me off! :mad: my system is just over a year old and its a relic already (no pun intended relic [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Im not much into 1st person shooters, not much thinking involved. EF2 blows, and the quake3 realism mods, and SoF2/JK2 got old quick. Half Life 2 is just another version of doom/quake IMO. point gun, pull trigger, watch bad guy/space thug die horribly. good stress relief :D but no strategy.

[ 04. October 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: TheStressPuppy ]

Howedar

Post by Howedar » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:47 pm

So you'd rather have a subpar game that looks like crap because that way it will look no crappier to someone with a worse system?

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:14 pm

The way I understood it, he's annoyed that at the rate that new hardware is released, two new generations have been released before game developers can properly use the existing hardware, and if so, I'm inclined to agree...

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:06 am

Ya what TONV said [img]smile.gif[/img] Of course i want a game that looks good, But i shouldnt have to upgrade my puter every other month

deathblane

Post by deathblane » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:27 am

I know the feeling, though my old rig (512 SDRAM, 1.4 Celeron, Radon 7200) was pretty much fine untill early this year. It didn't play new game great, but they were playable. In my experience most games do scale back quite nicely, it's only when you start to bring FSAA, or exceptionaly complex situations that things really go down hill.

Charvell

Post by Charvell » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:26 am

This puts me in mind of MechWarrior 3 vs MechWarrior 4

Mech3 was groundbreaking and extremely simulator oriented while Mech4 was a tactical downgrade and (bit) the unrealistic piloting bullet. In relation, HW was and still is a better game than HW2 simply because it was groundbreaking, more realistic in regard to ship movements (acceleration/deceleration) and not near as MP oriented, leaving SP to the "minorities"! HW was aimed at a diverse SP/MP age group while HW2 was aimed at the TEEN age on line MP group. It won't be as easily accepted. We accept it but that's because we're modders and can get the game to conform to what we want, but the masses...?

"Meanwhile, back at the ranch... My ATI 8500 handles the game OK (well...sort of) but I still have a new Comp on the operating room table sporting a 9800 and gobbs of everything else. Now I'm finding out that even a 9800 pro has problems with this..."game"... (tournament).

In conclusion I'm extremely displeased. Take HW/ATI for example. They never worked out all the buggs or video card driver issues and it's an "old" game! I mean it's not like an 8500 isn't a good card or an obscure entity. (My old Voodoo5500 still runs circles around every card out there bar none when it comes to sheer 3D realism, FSAA and quality. It's just a bit slow. Sure the colors are more saturated on the newer cards but real life is "not" over saturated.)

HW/ATI: Common card, common game, still not finished...I think they all came from the school of Microsoft...

[ 05. October 2003, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: Charvell ]

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”