Weapon Types

The HW:Trek guys take on HW:2!

Moderators: TheStressPuppy, Dolphoenix, Dasher42

Talonpest

Post by Talonpest » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:36 pm

Watching pulsar corvettes flying around zapping stuff made me think it might be cool to have two types of phasers- the standard heavy beam, and a lighter quicker zap. It would provide some visual distinction between heavy and light phaser power- ships like the Miranda and Excelsior could have the lighter versions, while things like the Akira would have heavier phaser beams. Maybe even have both types on larger ships like the Galaxy or Sovereign.

Also, do you think photon/quantum torpedos could be done with the torpedo effect in the game? I think it would look better than the pulse weapon effect in SOA1, and it seems like it would be much easier to do with this engine because the missile ability isn't bound to specific slots anymore (I don't think). It'd be nice to see torpedos home in to some extent... as long as they can miss sometimes and don't follow fighters around like HW2 torpedos do.
"On my signal, unleash hell" -General Maximus

The_Lumberjack
Location: ...a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Beatlegeuse. Or Lancaster Univers

Post by The_Lumberjack » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:39 am

It's plausible by the sound of it, there are the different types of phasers, it seems unlikely that all federation ships would be refitted with type X's or higher, but then again, we don't know what the chaps are planning now, do we?

TheStressPuppy

Post by TheStressPuppy » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:44 pm

Well, heres what it looks like now..... Lots of big plans. Nothing actually being done :/ Still no tools yet, and the only modding we can do with hw2 for now is edit the Lua files (ship stats, starting lineups, some weapons tweaks), and thats about it.

bones_of_the_many

Post by bones_of_the_many » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:36 am

hmm...what were the names of the forbidden weapons in the Star Trek universe? the kind the Sona used? uh....the kind that destroyed subspace and made warp travel impossible....anyone catch my....i just swallowed my gum...anyone catch my drift?

....attempts to regurgiatae it have failed.

someone please answer me.

hahahahahahaha.....

theoretical of course, but i think it would be cool if it were possible to create sopme kind of inhibitor field that slows the ship to a crawl (impulse) and temporarily impairs their maneuverability and/or heavy weapons.

like i said theoretical of course. like a probe with a tiny inhibitor that impairs certain systems.

of course until anyone gets a nice long look at the MOD tools, consider anything i say to (once again) be theoretical.

[ 01. October 2003, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: bones_of_the_many ]

Talonpest

Post by Talonpest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:45 pm

I'm sure you could put a hyperspace inhibitor on a probe for that effect... possibly make something that is not targetable but self-destructs after a set amount of time or something like that.

NapoleonGH

Post by NapoleonGH » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:02 am

just thought of something, the "torpedos" in HW2 are very similar in the way they act to the photons used by the Galaxy in the early TNG episodes, the ones that fire as 1 torp at first then split into 6, now we can do that effect properly...yummy

Pos_21

Post by Pos_21 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:12 am

but do we really want it that way?

Talonpest

Post by Talonpest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:02 am

It would be very cool to have that effect! I mean, obviously not for every ship, but maybe just for the Galaxy class.

deathblane

Post by deathblane » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:34 am

I always thought that it was supposed to indicate an initialy tight spread of torpedos.

Howedar

Post by Howedar » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:58 pm

Correct.

Return to “Homeworld 2 Trek”