LOTR: Finally my scratchbuilt Balrog miniature (many pics!)

The dark nightmare in the making

Moderators: Meurig, Steelviper

Unleashed

Post by Unleashed » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:03 am

How much prior sculpting knowledge do you have? After seeing this(& many other funky scratch built minatures), Ive been thinking of giving it a go, cept I have no experience in this(unless playdough counts Image).

------------------
B5:Conflicts Of Interest

Steelviper

Post by Steelviper » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:40 am

Well I made a few scratchbuild miniatures earlier, though I started with converting miniatures with putty first e.g. my Nurgle Greater Daemon is heavily converted. I had a few big projects like a 30cm tall ELDAR titan (based on a plastic frame made of various bitz) which is damn cool and a Tyranid Exocrine (made of 2 plastic cans as base).Although its now outdated cause I own a real Armorcast Exocrine resin model and a Malefactor too. Made a not so cool biotitan a while ago too(wasn`t very detailed) and a few other minor projects. I suggest you start with a bigger project and then work your way the scale base down. It`s not so difficult, all you need is some 2 component putty or green stuff (doesn`t need to be the expensive GW one), a dish of water (to keep your fingers wet and from stickin to the putty) and some modelling tools like teethpicks, pincettes or simelar and some wire to make up a rough basic body of the miniature to which you apply the putty Image The rest is simply trial and error. Btw dont use the entire putty at once, use small portions cause the putty will dry quite quickly sometimes and then all you have left is a half finished miniature and a ball of hard putty. A little trick to prevent that is to make the putty surface (in use) wet from time to time, don`t throw it into the water though Image You`ll need some patience as well, a bit of good luck and maybe 2 calm hands Image

------------------

Visit the Dark Age mod where reality gets twisted...

Unleashed

Post by Unleashed » Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:28 pm

Hey thanks for the insight, Ive started on the dominatrix, head is coming along nicely Image

Though I cant find any putty except the gw greenstuff which is expensive for what you get Image

------------------

Steelviper

Post by Steelviper » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:18 pm

Cool, a Dominatrix! I was planning to make one for Warhammer40k as well, I have already assembled the basic sceleton body (made of an old helicopter kit and various bits) Image Feel free to post pics in here, I am quite interested in it!

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:00 am

Originally posted by Steelviper:
(made of an old helicopter kit and various bits)
Transformers, robots in disguise!!

------------------
Talk is silver but violence is gold.

Unleashed

Post by Unleashed » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:50 pm

thats it, I found it hard to do teeth properly, so I just gave it boring human ish ones. annoying cos I just ran outta the green stuff(the grey ish bit is some old milliput ive had for years, bitch to use imo)

this is what it should hopefully look like in the end

------------------

Unleashed

Post by Unleashed » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:51 pm

Originally posted by Messiah:
Transformers, robots in disguise!!

TF G1 ruled, Image the new stuff is horrible though

------------------

Steelviper

Post by Steelviper » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:54 pm

Coolies! Looks pretty good so far Image

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:53 pm

In the old days, we just called it transformers.

I actually just bought the new Transformers armade comics (new here in Sweden at least) and they so far, I like it.

------------------
Talk is silver but violence is gold.

Return to “Dark Age Homeworld Mod”