LOTR: Finally my scratchbuilt Balrog miniature (many pics!)

The dark nightmare in the making

Moderators: Meurig, Steelviper

Steelviper

Post by Steelviper » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:19 pm

Finally I managed to borrow a decent digital camera, so I could take pics of my finished Balrog miniature I mentioned in an earlier topic ( http://www.thegamingunion.co.uk/Forum/u ... 01391.html )
This Balrog was entirely scratch built, its body is made of a wire frame that was covered with multiple layers of putty. The wings are made of thin polystyrol plastic card which I cut into wing shape and added putty bones to it. The Wing veins were made with plastic glue, I simply drew the veins upon the wings with the glue tube. All details have been made out of TAMIYA putty, except the flaming sword which is made of Polystyrol and the whip which is made of 3 wires glued together.
The paint job took me quite a while and I added a little horse skeleton on the base for the Balrog to step upon. It`s made of putty as well an the rips etc. were modelled with a tooth pick. All in all I spent around one week making it I guess, though I only worked a couple of hours on it a day.
The main reason I made this model was because I liked the Games workshop tabletop game Balrog miniature alot, however at 50$/€
it ain`t really cheap. So I came up with the idea of making my own one for a fraction of the money. Total costs of all materials used is less then 10 $/€ Image
I have also had a first game with the Balrog too and he was as unstoppable as I had imagined Image He slaughtered countless heroes and was backed up by my spear equiped cave troll, hehe. You can see the troll in of the pics for scale comparison as well, though he lost his arm in that game...needs some surgery now Image In the other hand he holds a grabbed female hobbit/elve, ready to slam her into the ground, hehe.
Well enough talk here are the Balrog pics. Enjoy! Image

and some more links to pics:

http://www.tgu.org.uk/users/darkage/images/balrog4.JPG

http://www.tgu.org.uk/users/darkage/images/balrog5.JPG

http://www.tgu.org.uk/users/darkage/images/balrog6.JPG

------------------

Visit the Dark Age mod where reality gets twisted...

Ber§erK

Post by Ber§erK » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:25 pm

Looks amazing! Image

Black Cat

Post by Black Cat » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:18 pm

Oh thats excellent, SV if you goto the starshipmolder site and contact OneZero, Im sure he'd be interested in any article that you would write, and moreover the pics look good.
Did you use PVC glue, oh and millput is a far better putty to use it shapes better and sands to a smooth finish. I love the scales on the skin of the model, it really lookes like little plates of volcanic rock, great job.

------------------
"Up...down....seven"

Steelviper

Post by Steelviper » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:26 pm

Originally posted by Black Cat:

Did you use PVC glue, oh and millput is a far better putty to use it shapes better and sands to a smooth finish.
Well I used two different 2 component puttys, one noname cheap stuff and TAMIYA Epoxy putty which is quite like the Green Stuff from GW. Both puttys can be sanded and worked with a drilling tool like DREML e.g. Image I used simply model kit glue from a german company called FALLER.
Hehe, yeah maybe I`ll contact this guy.

Bane

Post by Bane » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:18 am

You have some real talent there SV. Image

Chevieblazer

Post by Chevieblazer » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:41 pm

Burn, baby, burn!

Unleashed

Post by Unleashed » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:07 pm

Thats so damn cool Image

------------------
B5:Conflicts Of Interest

Sigma957

Post by Sigma957 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:53 pm

That looks really really good Image

------------------
ImageMember of The Babylon Project-Bringing Babylon 5 to freespace2

"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here"-Walkers of Sigma957

Shadegrown

Post by Shadegrown » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:23 am

Damn, that's looking scary Image

How tall is it? 30 cm?

Steelviper

Post by Steelviper » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:22 am

Originally posted by Shadegrown:
How tall is it? 30 cm?
Wingspan from one tip to the other is around 20 cm, height is around 8 cm Image

Return to “Dark Age Homeworld Mod”