DA3: Lots of new Guardian ship designs!

The dark nightmare in the making

Moderators: Meurig, Steelviper

Postby star blazers fan » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:53 am

Hi guys, heres a thought.
How about adding ships from other b5 mods to the race sect slots? Specifically the minbari mothership from homeworld: Babylon 5 Total Conversion v3.5br3. It came out over 3 years ago and would fill the slot nicely. Obviously I/we would have to ask for permission to use it but, well I am throwing out ideas here. What do you think? :rolleyes:
star blazers fan

Postby Captain Pierce » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:16 am

*sigh*

OK, sbf, I was hoping to hold this discussion off for a bit longer, but after this post I think it's time...

Not everyone considers just converting ships from another game/mod/source of some other sort to be making a mod. In particular, the Dark Age team has shown an almost fanatical dedication to making their own models, no matter how many people may have made it before (and, admittedly, there aren't that many models in these mods that HAVE been made before, given the DA team's penchant for going non-canon :D ). Even myself, admittedly a whore for shoving other's people's ships into my Trek mods ;) , has shied away from it in regards to two other mods that I was very sorry to see die: B5 MOFAS and DV. Sure, I could have asked DA and GW for ships to complete both mods, and given that I like to think I have a certain reputation in the TGU HW community, they might have even granted permission--but that's not what those mods were about, so I have exercised a lot of willpower at times and not asked.

This is not to say that there's something inherently wrong with the idea, just that this team is unlikely to even consider the idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]
<a href="http://www.trekmods.com/" target="_blank"> Image</a>
Captain Pierce

Postby star blazers fan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:17 am

I respect your view on this subject and especially all the work you have done in the past. Unfortunately I have a different take on the subject. No product equals no interest. I had a great time a year ago when by accident I googled star trek homeworld. All of a sudden I could play my favorite 3d game with my favorite tv show. And amazingly I could replay the game over and over again with new ships and new races from many different shows, movies, or just completely original. And then it stopped... I ran out of ships, I ran out of original content, I was stuck with playing with half the homeworld ships and half the b5 ships or half the star trek ships, etc. I kept waiting to see if there would be any updates to finish the mod but it never happened. So I learned what everyone else here learned. Borrow from someone else or get burned. For me this is great. Now I can play the singleplayer campaigns for all the glory. But what about everyone else. I am not saying you should give up modding this mod or anyother and I totally respect the fact that you mod for the sake of modding, again great but aren't you doing this for the fans, us? We deserve an update on a more frequent basis. Or better a continuously evolving mod. I'm just saying if we could keep the interest in the mod alive by filling slots until a better ship, and the vision of the mod is complete, why not?
I'm missing my point.
1. I respect your work.
2. We need updates. 1 ship, a fixed mex file, etc.
3. We need more interest in the mod.
4. We are all friends here why can't we share?
5. This is all free to the public isn't it?
6. Are these mods for personal reasons like building a portfolio, trying to get a job in the industry, trying to top the next best 3d modeler, I hope not.
7. Whatever decision or reason for making or doing the mod is your right. I am just saying I have more fun with the mod when I can immerse myself totally and completely in the univere of the mod.

This posting is totally the opinion of the poster, no animals were harmed in the writing of it. :confused:
star blazers fan

Postby Captain Pierce » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:50 am

Well, first off, if you're modding for any perceived fans, then you're going to have a short career. [img]smile.gif[/img] Especially if you're modding Cataclysm. ;)

Secondly, the thing you have to understand is, everybody associated with DA is a modeller first and foremost. I don't think that they made DA just to show off their skillz and get a job in the industry--which, BTW, almost never works--but it is a modeller's mod, no doubt about it. The GW and Trekmods teams are the same way--they want to make everything themselves--but DA even more so, I think. Take a look at the DA mods--what you're seeing is almost exclusively non-canon. These guys have gone out of their way to do their own thing, so putting a ship from another mod into one of their mods just isn't something that I think they're going to be interested in.

That said, one of them may pop up and completely contradict me here... :D
Captain Pierce

Postby Meurig » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:31 am

Well I think its about time I popped up.

First off...

"Borrow from someone else or get burned"

Now, this has happened to us in the past, other mod teams for other games have used our models, our designs and havent asked us about it. In many circles thats known as stealing, in ours it is just downright rude and we didnt take kindly to it. Before you leap to correct me, I'm sure you meant that we should use others' models with permission of course, but the point still stands. IF we use someone elses work, it's not ours is it?

Call me selfish if you like, but my primary reason for modding is not to make you happy, it's to make me happy. I enjoy it, thats why I do it. Still, I don't think only of myself here, I also want to make sure that anything I make is good enough in my mind to share, if it isn't I wont. Its not a matter of selfishness there, its a matter of if I am going to release something, I want it to look good, play well, be impressive. And I am certain that most if not all modders are in the same boat as me on that point.

Second, I wholeheartedly support what Pierce has said. DA is very loosely based on Babylon 5, we keep a general design lineage but use very few designs from the series because thats been done already. If you want an accurate recreation of Babylon 5 for homeworld, go one forum up, Great Wars concentrate on that. We try to be more inventive, push the boundaries a little and just taking somebody elses designs defeats the purpose entirely.

It may well take longer, it sure as hell is harder, but ultimately the result is better from our point of view, and I should hope, from the public's.
Meurig

Postby Steelviper » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:12 pm

I second Meurig and Pierce on these points. What we do is very original and thus takes it´s time to finish. But in the end we will create our own version of a Scifi-universe, which all of us love so much [img]smile.gif[/img] I don´t see a reason for using ships from other mods (with permission of course) as a mockup for the time being untill the mod is finished. Just stay tuned and one day we´ll make you very happy. I for myself am still waiting for the 1st (!) ever release of the Gundam Universe mod for Q3 and am doing this since at least 2 1/2 years I guess... :D [img]graemlins/eviltail.gif[/img]
Steelviper

Previous

Return to Dark Age Homeworld Mod