How can you get XWA ships into homeworld?

Moderators: Maverick, DesertFox82, Zeelich, WarAce_505

Postby star blazers fan » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:03 am

This is what I should of asked for in the first place. If I can just get the ships I can convert them but first of all they are in an XMOD format and then they are in OPT format. What is this? I have the lucas arts opt viewer and so I know that they look great, but just useless without an exporter. Any and I mean any help would be appreciated. [img]smile.gif[/img]
star blazers fan

Postby TheOneNamedViper » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:13 am

Once again, you're probably better off asking at the XWAU forum, since it requires knowledge of the inner workings of XWA, a trait more commonly found in the XWAU forum members.
TheOneNamedViper

Postby Zabaron » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:27 pm

I think I can help you here. The .xmod format is realy close to .zip so just rename the file from xxx.xmod to xxx.zip. You can now open the file and extract the .opt file with winzip or winrar or whatever. Next use the opt23ds app which you can get from darksaber's site. You will now have a .3ds file of the ship from the opt. You will have to convert the model and all the textures to the appropriate HW format with 3dex. The textures are probably too big so resizeing them would be a good idea.

-Zabaron

P.S.- I don't know the addy for darksaber's site, but theres a link to it at the XWAU site.
Zabaron

Postby star blazers fan » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:07 am

True, but I need to have the game X wing Alliance loaded on my comp, for the engine, to get the files. And I can't find the game locally anymore. Anyplace online good to find the game?
star blazers fan

Postby TheOneNamedViper » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:01 am

Well, if you're wanting the ships that came with the game, they aren't in .xmod format. That's only the fanmade ships.
TheOneNamedViper

Postby star blazers fan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:38 am

Right, but to crack the mods you still need the game installed right? I mean the new ships in the mods. To get them out you need the plugins and the game installed or you can't get the plugins to work, right?

[size="1"][ 22. June 2005, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: star blazers fan ][/size]
star blazers fan

Postby Zabaron » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:34 pm

No. Just rename the file from xxxxx.xmod to xxxx.zip. Then open in winzip or similar program. All of the convertors are standalone programs.

-Zabaron
Zabaron

Postby star blazers fan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:01 pm

As far a getting the xmod files unzipped thats fine. Its just that everytime I I try to use the opt to 3ds program I get this error, "X Wing Alliance is not installed on this computer, please install for the engine to work." So if there is another way of getting opt files out of the game let me know.
p.s. I am not trying to get the ships from the original game, rather the latest mods from other opt mod sites.
Help!!!!! :confused:
star blazers fan

Return to SWNR Homeworld TC