Getting original ships into Homeworld

Need some help from our resident experts? Got some new info? Post here! Hw /Hw:c /Hw2

Moderators: Meurig, Spooky, Crook, Sjet vs. Kerrigan

star blazers fan

Post by star blazers fan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:23 am

I have a new ship in 3ds. max file format. I convert it into obj. in 3d exploration, then convert it to peo. and finally resize it in HWSE.
Don't worry about the textures I already know the trick about how to make lifs from psd files.
What urks me is in HWSE the ship is backwords and while I can adjust the damage, weapons, etc. points with no problem the ship looks half the size in game.

What am I doing wrong? :eek:

In all the SOA mods, homeworld mods, babylon 5 mods, etc. the ships look absolutely great in game and in HWSE they are facing me and if changed they look the right size in game.

Is there another conversion you guys are doing that I don't know about? If so please let the public know?

Thanks, a very frustrated modder with too much time and not enough skill :confused:

Pierce 2: The Sequel

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:24 am

Well, have you tried rotating the ship 180 degress in Max and saving it again? ;) For that matter, have you tried scaling the ship up in Max and saving it again? That doesn't always work, so you might be better off just to use the scaling options in HWSE, although not the rotation, because that (in my experience anyway) usually screws up the texture coordinates.

star blazers fan

Post by star blazers fan » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:22 am

No, I must not be describing the situation right. Yes I do rotate the ships and let HWSE scale the ship and when I put the ship in the game it looks fine.

What I am having problems with is somewhere in the conversion process.

If you look at a ship from SOA or the game itself in HWSE the ship is facing you, looking straight at you. If you use the rotate buttons like left, right, front, back, they move the ship in that direction.

When I import my ship I am looking up its tailpipe. Rotating it in HWSE will make it look proper in HWSE but look reversed in the game. So I keep it backwards and just adjust the weapons, etc. and save it that way so it all looks right in the game.

The other problem is the after I adjust all the mex data I have to go back and resize the ship only by 2x while keeping the mex data the same. If I don't the mex data like the navlights are too far away from the ship.

Its like the mex data it correct with the game but the peo file is half the size of what it needs in the game.

When I convert a ship from .3ds to .peo I first convert .3ds to .obj then .peo. To do otherwise will totally screw up the mex file in HWSE. What I am thinking is when you convert to .obj there is a .mtl file made that fixes the file so that you can convert to .peo.

Do I have to mess with the .mtl file to get the ship to look right in HWSE and look right in the game?

Also does anyone have a tutorial on getting ships into the game. I know at one time the previous incarnation of trekmods had a tutorial is that still available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:37 am

The .mtl file is a just a list of textures that the conversion to .obj creates, it's not necessary at all for HW purposes.

Try this: in 3DEx, doubleclick on your model in the preview window, before you convert it. Check the Rotation and Scale values. If you're seeing anything but 0 rotation and 1 scales, then you have a problem. [img]smile.gif[/img]

star blazers fan

Post by star blazers fan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:58 am

Your right, I am getting 0.5 on the scale area. What does that mean and how do I fix it?

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:17 am

Well, based on my experience, what it probably means is that you built your ship at a certain size, and then then cut it down to about half that size at some point. Back when CommanderJones and I were in the early days of Raiders Ascendant, we noticed that Truespace had tendency to "matrix scale" models when he tried to change their size in TS... what we had to do was figure out how big the ship should be, and then use HWSE's scaling abilities to enlarge it. Since he's gone to Maya, this hasn't been a problem, thank God... ;)

As to how to fix it... that could get tricky. Do you have a backup save of the ship before you tried to scale it? Alternately, if it's exactly 0.5, you could try this... do a "save as" in 3DEx, with "pre-save transformation" enabled, and scale it to 200% (or scale factor 2). That MIGHT get rid of the matrix scaling and get you to a scale of "1"--or it might get you to something like 0.9999999. :/ If it gets you to 1, then you can scale up using HWSE; if not, then you might at least be close enough for jazz--the only way to get it exactly right at that point would be to remake it from scratch, AFAIK...

star blazers fan

Post by star blazers fan » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:12 am

Sorry for the long lag time in my reply, but I get so little time to use the net these days. :D
Anyways, yup it is exactly how you describe the solution. I never realized you could change the scale in 3d exploration. In fact I only had to follow your instructions and it worked, but I just made a new folder and saved the peo file at the new scale and it worked. Then I cut and pasted the new peo file into the old folder and opened HWSE. In there not only is the ship at the right scale it now faces the right direction. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
To say the least I am really excited to get my mod working soon. Hopefully get some in game screenshots up as well. Still need to work on my photoshop skills though. I just can't seem to get the bright parts to stand out while keeping the hull neutral or dark. Oh well, thats something for the new year. :rolleyes:
Merry Christmas to all and thanks for all the help this last year. Cheers.

Post by Pierce 2: The Sequel » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:52 pm

It's going to take a bit more than Photoshop for that, dude. As I've said before, ANYTHING that you want lit has to be a completely separate texture from anything that you don't want lit. Then, the Materials Editor in HWSE can set those separate textures to be "self-illuminated," or in other words glowy. ;) Take a look at how it's done on... let me think of a good example... oh, take the SoA 0.95 Akira. Open it in 3D Ex, and note the textures "NCLG" and "AG." Now, it in HWSE, go to the "Materials" tab, and double-click "NCLG" in the list of materials there. See where it says "Self Illuminated" in the Material Properties box that comes up? That's why that bit glows. If you look at the texture "AG," there somebody did some UV mapping or something to the model to combine a lot of small glowy bits into one texture--that's a bit more than I'm capable of. ;)

Return to “General Modding”