grafting weapons

Need some help from our resident experts? Got some new info? Post here! Hw /Hw:c /Hw2

Moderators: Meurig, Spooky, Crook, Sjet vs. Kerrigan

Kirdein Somtaaw

Post by Kirdein Somtaaw » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:22 am

I just finished the Cathedral of Kadesh and ended up with 18 multibeam frigs and something like twenty fuel pods. i am a moderate modder; my fleet is uberstrong, but i just did that by fiddling with r1 files. My question is this: how would i graft a certain weapon(s) on a ship(s) (a.k.a. nine or ten ion cannons on a uberfast and uberstrong fuel pod)
my questions are this:
1.) How do I graft weapons on another ship?
2.) Do i need a special program? If so, what is it and where do I get it?
3.) If so, how do i use this program?
4.) Can i make a certain technology (i.e. gravwell gen) available eatly on in the game? how?
5.) can you mod the the p1, p2, and p3 files?
(b/c anything i try to mod with those doesnt work)

thanks for any help!
I LOVE THE KADESHII!!!!

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:10 am

1) Weapons require entries in both the .mex and .shp files. (The .mex tells the game where it is, the .shp tells the game what sort of gun it is and how much damage it does; if you've made uberstrong ships, you probably already know your way around .shp files.)

2) .Shp files are of course edited with Notepad or Wordpad; .mex files are best edited with HWSE.

3) Best learned by trial and error. HWSE lets you clone .mex entries, which should give you a good start on what's needed for a new gun on a ship.

4) I don't know if changes to researchdepend.script (the file that sets up research dependencies) will be reflected in single-player or not.

5) Yes. However, if you're loading a savegame file to test them (for example, after the Kadesh missions), the game will use the originals no matter what you do. So, you'd have to face your uber-Kadesh in order to capture them, which I'm guessing would be a touch difficult. :D

Kirdein Somtaaw

Post by Kirdein Somtaaw » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:32 pm

thanks for the help!
just to make sure i know what im talking about:

1.)for example on the heavycruiser file:
it says something like
Gun: NewGimle
???: VeryStrongIonCannon
stats
stats
stats

so if I wanted to graft the "verystrongioncannon" onto a....say....light corvette, would I just copy-paste that entire section into the light corvette file, and I would have a ioncannon corvette?

2.)in addition to that, under the .big file Traders, the bentusi mothership is called FloatingCity. Their ion cannon is called "badasscannon" could I copy that cannon onto a regular Kushan or Taidan ion cannon frig?

3.)Is there anyway to trick the mothership into being able to make certain ships normally outside the Kushan build index? (like, multibeam frigates? wow, I am predictable) Would I have to edit the Mothership's .big file, or would I have to edit something else (like the file with all the numbers, in which case I am way out of my depth.)?

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:08 am

1. Well, it's not QUITE as easy as just blindly cutting and pasting. For example, you need to pay attention to that GunType line--"NewGimble" is a turret, and will only work on a turreted weapon. "Gimble" is for a non-turreted weapon, and will only work on... well, you get the idea. ;)

2. You can give pretty much any ion cannon the damage and rapid-fire of a Bentusi ion cannon; giving it the appearance of the Bentusi ion cannon is a bit tougher. Of course, since the history of the HW universe included in the HW2 Strategy Guide says that the Bentusi disarmed all their ships back before the Hiigarans were Exiled to Kharak, clearly those ion cannons are just a figment of our imagination. :rolleyes:

3. Short answer: no. Long answer: You can't add things to a build list in HW, only replace existing ships with new ones. For example, you could replace the ion cannon frigate with multibeams, but you probably wouldn't like it.

Kirdein Somtaaw

Post by Kirdein Somtaaw » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:35 pm

1.) Ummm, just out of curiousity, how would you go about doing that? (replacing ships). Lets get an example: lets say I want to replace the assault frigate with the multibeam frigate. How would I do this? (ummm, if you feel like making a step-by-step way to do this....feel free...i'm sorta thick when it comes to modding, but I love it anyway :D )

2.) Is it possible, then, to "replace", say, the Light Corvetter (since I never use them) with a gravwell gen? if so how?

3.) Back on the grafting ion beams subject: i just got HWSE v. 1.40 to work last night. An interceptor has a Gimble gun, correct? So how would I graft an ion beam onto an interceptor? Would I have to completely modify the ship's appearance and then copy-paste the Bentusi beam stats onto its .shp file? or wait, would I have to replace an existing gun stat with the Bentusi beam? (once again, if you feel like giving a step-by-step....)

4.) you said that you could give any ion cannon the damage and rapid-fire of a bentusi cannon. how?

look, i'm really sorry for bombarding you with questions....i really appreciate it!

Captain Pierce

Post by Captain Pierce » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:11 pm

1. To change a ship to a new slot, basically what you have to do is rename everything associated with the ship--folder, .shp, .lod, .peo & .mex files inside the folder, etc. You also need to change certain references inside the .lod and .shp files to point to the ship's new name rather than its old name. Depending on the ship, you may also have to go on a texture hunt to find shared textures.

2. Special abilities are non-transferrable. So, you can replace the Light Corvette with the MODEL of the GravWell Generator, but it will not have the gravwell ability.

3. If all you want to do is replace an existing gun, then you don't need HWSE. Just bring up two .shp files side-by-side: the one of the ship you want to change the gun of (interceptor, in this case), and the one of the ship you want to borrow the gun from (ion cannon frigate, Bentusi floating city, whatever). Comapare the two for a bit, and notice what's different between them. Typically, you'll want to leave the Gimble/NewGimble status of the gun you want to change the same as it is, and then copy pretty much everything else over. Certainly, in the case of an interceptor, you will want to change everything but the gun number and the Gimble line.

Kirdein Somtaaw

Post by Kirdein Somtaaw » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:13 pm

Alright, thanks, I finally got the files to work! I have ion cannons (i made them very, very weak) on my scouts as a replacement of the mass drivers that originally did like eight damage.
I have two (count 'em) more questions.
Last night I grafted six ion cannons onto the multigun corvette (get it? now its a multibeam corvette!). I dont want to make it so easy on myself, so I made it expensive and lowered the damage it did. I also want to make the ion cannons fire for only a short time, even if it takes a short time to recharge.
so:
1.) Would the "Bullet LifeTime" be the amount of time it fires? (If it is set a 1.0, then it would only fire for one second?) And would "FireTime" be the amount of time the weapon would take to recharge?

2.) How can I make my mods carry over into multiplayer? Can i do that? (multibeam corvettes in multiplayer....mmmm...)
thanks!!!!!!

[ 10. November 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Kirdein Somtaaw ]

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:59 pm

Let me see if I can be of any help:

1.) I have no idea (It's been too long since I worked with beam weapons in HW)

2.) They do automatically. But if you want to play against another person, you'll have to make sure that he's got the exact same modified files that you do, otherwise the game will go out of sync.

(like, your scouts fire beams and destroy a corvette squad, while on the opponents comp, your scouts will still be set to fire the original gun, as he doesn't have the modified files and his corvettes wipe out the scouts. Now when the game continues, from his point of view, his corvettes can go on to destroy more things, while from your PoV you stopped his attack)

Return to “General Modding”