in-game screenshots

Moderators: Jason8472, Casious

TheOneNamedViper

Post by TheOneNamedViper » Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:28 pm

And AFAIK those ships ingame are the old models.

wolf_01

Post by wolf_01 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:10 pm

Old? By 'new' are you referring to the new model mentioned in the FAQ?

I downloaded the latest version that was on the downloads page and the update. Actually I would of had a lot more chig pictures if there was a Chig fighter to use too.
So, are these good or at least okay pics then?

Zarkonis

Post by Zarkonis » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:15 pm

ah their rendered... will you use them in hw2 then? Btw I have been playing the mod and for some reason it never lets me play chigs, it always crashes the game Image

Merc

Post by Merc » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:26 pm

Zarkonis- What you're looking at in the other thread are high polygon models rendered in 3D studio max with calculated shadows and no limit on detail. These were made to simulate the TV show models, not to be put directly in game. When you make model for todays games you:

A) Typically have a polygon limit (for homeworld fighters usually around 3-400 polygons, maybe less) The hammerhead model in that thread was about 100,000 polygons and rendered with raytraced shadows.

B) Have a set resolution for the texture maps on those game models. Usually quite low comparitevely.

C) The game engines have primitive rendering capability (at the moment) compared to 3d software (3D Studio Max, Maya, etc..) so it's not gonna look real yet.

This is so that the game can run well on older machines, but also so you can have many ships at once.

HOWEVER, it's very useful to make high polygon ships first, so you can render them out and use the high detail texture maps you get from them. You can cheat a lot of detail from texture maps. I believe somebody is redoing the hammerhead maps at some point.

punk

Post by punk » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:14 am

wow just wow id say more but i dont think i need to :bungle

------------------
punk rock love

Zarkonis

Post by Zarkonis » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:01 am

thanks Image.

Anyway I can get in touch with the guy who made these models?

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:40 am

Wow! Thats alot of screenies! Most are a littel choppy, but some are really nice. Especially the one with the Chig Carrier blowing up.

As for the pic of that Hammerhead, Zarkonis, that is what Thursday was trying to redo. Personally, the new textures that he was working on looked fabulous as I would like that as the standard for the Hammerheads. I do not like the current hammers. They look cartoony. I havent spoken to Thursday about if he has made any progress with the new hammerhead textures, but Im sure when I speak with him, he might give it stab for the next release.

Yes, there will be the chig fighter in the next release. Plus the red fighter that was seen in the episode "Ray Butts". The UEF Minelayer Frigate will be in game also.

Somebody had mentioned fixing the Chiggy Von Richthofen as it does not fire in game. A simple problem that can be fixed for the next release.

There are some other things that will be added for the next release, but the team hasnt been able to sit down and hammer out any issues.

The two things that would be really great for the next release would be:

1. Getting an ISS APC in game.
2. Getting sound in game.

Problem is that we do not have a working APC model yet and we dont have anyone to put sound effects and music in game either.

Just something to add to the list I guess. LOL.

------------------

Fleet Admiral Hossy

Post by Fleet Admiral Hossy » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:27 pm

hmmm I have a couple of ISS APCs that were made for my mod for a2, you can have em if you like, how many polys are you looking for in them?

Jason8472

Post by Jason8472 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:46 am

Thanx, Hoss, but we do have 2.

One was made by Fabio in about 5 minutes, but with no textures and will not be the quality equivilent that we are going to get from Jeff.

The other is going to be from Jeff. He had a mesh made and was working on the textures, but I havent spoken with him for a bit so I dont know his progress on it.

His high poly one that he posted WIP pics of looked absolutely fantastic. We are expecting the same for his low poly one.

------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and have the world believe you a fool
than to open it and confirm their belief."

Merc

Post by Merc » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:44 am

Well...I suppose there's no excuse for me not to put that sucker together since all I have to do is slap renders of the high poly model onto the low one. Top, side, front, bottom, back, etc... That is if I can get it all nicely unwrapped. If I can't I'll just pass the maps and the model off to Spooky or whoever else can do it. Expect me to do this soon since you guys have waited patiently enough. Hold on... the ISSAPC's comin boys!

Return to “SAAB Homeworld Mod”